PDA

View Full Version : Last step to full realism: how to plot target courses with no contacts on the map?

NaturalBornGoth
04-04-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm at 80% realism now (finally switched to manual TDC). Now, in order to take the next and final step - i won't lose the external cam - i'd like to know how i can properly track target courses on the map when contacts aren't updated automatically anymore.

Let me clarify: let's assume my boat's heading is 283?, and i hear a hydrophone contact at bearing 102?. I can get my SONAR operator to estimate the target's range, or i can try to guess it myself, after gaining some expierence about how loud certain ships are at certain distances. But how can i mark the target's position on the map accurately? My impression is that i'd need some sort of dial that i would place on my boats position and that would show me where i'd have to draw the line with the ruler. I take it there is no such dial. So, how do i do it?

NaturalBornGoth
04-04-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm at 80% realism now (finally switched to manual TDC). Now, in order to take the next and final step - i won't lose the external cam - i'd like to know how i can properly track target courses on the map when contacts aren't updated automatically anymore.

Let me clarify: let's assume my boat's heading is 283?, and i hear a hydrophone contact at bearing 102?. I can get my SONAR operator to estimate the target's range, or i can try to guess it myself, after gaining some expierence about how loud certain ships are at certain distances. But how can i mark the target's position on the map accurately? My impression is that i'd need some sort of dial that i would place on my boats position and that would show me where i'd have to draw the line with the ruler. I take it there is no such dial. So, how do i do it?

macker33
04-04-2005, 08:26 PM
You could shadow the contact and use X marks the spot,As soon as you have your target mark it on the map with an X,do the same thing again 5 minutes later and draw a line from the first X to the other.

panthercules
04-04-2005, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NaturalBornGoth:
But how can i mark the target's position on the map accurately? My impression is that i'd need some sort of dial that i would place on my boats position and that would show me where i'd have to draw the line with the ruler. I take it there is no such dial. So, how do i do it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, to do it really accurately you do need some sort of dial/tool marked with bearing degrees (a serious shortcoming of the game - I hope the devs or some modders come up with one that really works - there is a mod where someone tried to do this - a good effort but when I tried it a few days ago it still needed some work)

however, if you practice you can get pretty good at it with just the little ruler tool - in your example, just draw a line out just slightly "down" from one that would be perpendicular to your sub on the right side (straight out from the right side would be 90 degrees, so 102 is just a little more toward the stern of your sub on that side) - not perfect but with practice it works well enough to get you in the neighborhood

no doubt though that a degree-marked tool would really help

NaturalBornGoth
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
So, the best way to get the bearing accurately transfered to the map might be to move the boat into a 0?, 90?, 180? or 270? angle to the hydrophone contact before i draw the line, so that i don't have to just guess the bearing on the map. Yeah, a ingame dial-tool would really be helpful.

@macker33

The "X"-method works great when you still have the contacts shown on the map, but when you set the map to full realism you need a different way to mark the target's position, because you can't see it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

quillan
04-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Take a look in the SHIII Essentials thread up top of the forum. There are two really good mods that will help you. One is a bearing finder mod, I think Jase made it. He basically took the bearings circle that you can bring up in the TDC station, and marked as a 360 degree protractor. It appears around your sub whenever you're zoomed in far enough that you don't get the circle with the tail icon. The other is a great set of nav map tools, that has the major directions in a circle around the center of the waypoint marker (so you can easily tell which way you're plotting a course), a full 360 degree protractor around the center of the ruler marker (again, so you can tell which way a course is running), and added crosshairs to the eraser, marker, and compass tools, so you can tell exactly where the point is going to be. I'm using them, and they are fantastic.

NaturalBornGoth
04-04-2005, 09:44 PM
@quillan

Thanks! I'll give those a try! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif