PDA

View Full Version : The Portrayal of Gay Guys in Assassin's Creed 1

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi guys this is my first post so please be nice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Now I feel the portrayal of gay guys in AC1 was very offensive and homophobic, seriously I thought that a company like Ubisoft in France where all the gay guys live would have handled this better.

Anyone remember the merchant king of Damascus? The guy was portayed as a grotesque tub of lard with boils all over his skin, as if the gods had cursed him for being gay. This is not an accurate portrayal of gay guys.

I suppose Ubisoft has tried to make it up to us by making the main character in Assassins Creed 2 gay but that is not enough.

I expect a full apology from Ubisoft on their portrayal of gay guys in Assassins Creed 1 on behalf of all the gay guys in the world.

Sorry to post on a sour note but I just feel this has to be said.

ProjectXigis
11-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Feel like elaborating? What was the merchant king's name?

TooLazy4Name
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
wait what? there were gay people in AC1? the only gay person i met in the entire AC franchise is leonardo da vinci.

Veen130
11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
I didn't know that the Merchant King was gay.

Anywho, no disrespect intended, but I don't see why Ubisoft needs to say an apology. And if they did, gays would kinda be lower on the list, have you seen what their doing to religion in AC?

Crash_Plague
11-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Adam-and-Adam:
I thought that a company like Ubisoft in France where all the gay guys live would have handled this better.

wait, what?

also,

INB4 TROLL.

also,

TROLL.

EchoSixSpy
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Yup... Troll.

Malocchio21
11-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Ok children, wave to the troll as he takes a quick dump then runs away for ever.

Dreams-Of-Glass
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
He's probably talking about the target Abu'l Nuqoud. I think people suspect he's gay because of what Abu'l Nuqoud said "you hate me because I am different" (something along those lines) and the way he touched his guard's arm during his speech. (And probably many other hints I didn't catch)
I don't think Ubisoft is being prejudice or mean any harm, it's just how the society would view a gay person back then.

Silhouelle
11-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Reading the OP totally reminded me of Gandalf the Fab. :b

Crash_Plague
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Neraelia:

omg, don't remind me.....

Tpain200
11-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Wait...ezio's gay?

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 08:41 PM
no, this guys just a troll

Tpain200
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by An_Idea:
no, this guys just a troll Figured as much

Crash_Plague
11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Tpain200:
Wait...ezio's gay?

*sigh*

>_<'

Coolgerb
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Wasn't even an amusing troll. Wasted effort.

m3rcer
11-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:

Too true. I'm wonder if this Adam is also that Gandalf the fab. It would make sense of the two extremes; One more passive and the other more aggressive.

Also, a gay friend of mine said that the largest population of homosexuals was in Australia - Not implying anything, that's just what I've been told.

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Dreams-Of-Glass:
He's probably talking about the target Abu'l Nuqoud. I think people suspect he's gay because of what Abu'l Nuqoud said "you hate me because I am different" (something along those lines) and the way he touched his guard's arm during his speech. (And probably many other hints I didn't catch)
I don't think Ubisoft is being prejudice or mean any harm, it's just how the society would view a gay person back then.

This is exactly what I am talking about, they may not of said he was gay directly but the hints to point out he was gay were so obvious it wasnt funny.

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Neraelia:

And who the hell is Gandalf the Fab? I dont get it what the hell is a Fab anyway it makes no sense.

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 09:30 PM
how the hell is there anything to suggest that ezio is gay http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif there are so many facts pointing to the fact that he is straight, your conclusion is laughable

john63
11-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Ezio's not gay. He's saying there's EVIDENCE that Abul is gay, and then just randomly saying Ezio is too.

Confusious30
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Gee, I wonder why you have a problem with the hints that many other people didn't even notice. With a username like that, it doesn't take much imagination to know why you're so upset.

It's a game. If you're going to whine about what Ubisoft (they're in Canada not France you idiot) do, you seriously need a hobby.

Later.

hicks1586
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
"I expect a full apology from Ubisoft on their portrayal of gay guys in Assassins Creed 1 on behalf of all the gay guys in the world."

I didn't realise you spoke for every gay person on the planet.

"France where all the gay guys live would have handled this better."

oO?

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
how the hell is there anything to suggest that ezio is gay http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif there are so many facts pointing to the fact that he is straight, your conclusion is laughable

look fellas if you cant handle Ezio being gay then dont play the game but this thread is not about Ezio its about the portrayal of gays in AC1.

So if you dont mind stop trolling my thread and trying to change the subject.

Neo_Age
11-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I feel the portrayal of the Templars in AC1 and AC2 was very offensive and against a noble order of knights, seriously I thought that a company like Ubisoft in France where alot of the decendants of Templars live would have handled this better.

Anyone remember all the assassin targets? They are portayed as blood thursty, godless heathens, as if they thought god didnt exist. This is not an accurate portrayal of the Templars.

I suppose Ubisoft has tried to make it up to us by revealing in AC2 that Altair married a Templar but thats not enough

I expect a full apology from Ubisoft on their portrayal of Templars in Assassins Creed 1 and 2 on behalf of all the decendants of the Templars in the world.

Sorry to post on a sour note but I just feel this has to be said.

SWJS
11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
1. Ubisoft isn't in France, it's in Montreal, Canada.

2. Ezio isn't gay. He sleeps with Cristina Vespucci and flirts with Rosa. Leonardo was suspected to be gay after he was charged with sodomy. But they only hug because they're friends. That's ALL.

3. Abul Naquod was lightly implied to be gay. Yes he wore flashy clothes, but he was a noble. You think he's gonna wear rags? I never thought he was gay, nor did I ever expect it until someone mentioned it. I don't see how it's this offensive that you must demand an appology from Ubisoft. They haven't done anything to incriminate anyone.

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by john63:
Ezio's not gay. He's saying there's EVIDENCE that Abul is gay, and then just randomly saying Ezio is too.

you do know that you just contradicted yourself dont you?

JudgeQwerty
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
No offense, but I think you forgot about Richard the Lionheart being in AC1 as well...

Confusious30
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by An_Idea:

look fellas if you cant handle Ezio being gay then dont play the game but this thread is not about Ezio its about the portrayal of gays in AC1.

So if you dont mind stop trolling my thread and trying to change the subject. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know what, you're right.

Ezio is gay. When he's having sex with all these women, he's pretending they're men. Sure, why not.

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:

2. Ezio isn't gay. He sleeps with Cristina Vespucci and flirts with Rosa. Leonardo was suspected to be gay after he was charged with sodomy. But they only hug because they're friends. That's ALL.

3. Abul Naquod was lightly implied to be gay. Yes he wore flashy clothes, but he was a noble. You think he's gonna wear rags? I never thought he was gay, nor did I ever expect it until someone mentioned it. I don't see how it's this offensive that you must demand an appology from Ubisoft. They haven't done anything to incriminate anyone.

Ezio is gay deal with it, you dont think Elton John hasnt slept with a woman in his time? the signs that Ezio are gay are so obvious if you cant handle playing a gay man in a video game then dont play it, but stop trolling my thread and trying to change the subject.

And it wasnt just the clothes that made Abul Naquod gay, it was how he spoke and how he touched and looked at his servant, everyone also said he was "different" which we all know is code for gay.

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:

Ezio is gay deal with it, you dont think Elton John hasnt slept with a woman in his time? the signs that Ezio are gay are so obvious if you cant handle playing a gay man in a video game then dont play it, but stop trolling my thread and trying to change the subject.

And it wasnt just the clothes that made Abul Naquod gay, it was how he spoke and how he touched and looked at his servant, everyone also said he was "different" which we all know is code for gay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

allright, then what are these signs that ezio is gay, youve been saying that he is but you have no evidence to back up this statement

and i believe that the merchant king looked that way as a kind of nod to the sin gluttony or greed. honestly your just taking one word and blowing it out of proportion

Veen130
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Even if the Merchant King is gay, why does Ubi need 2 apologies. So what if hes overweight, that doesnt mean all gays are and also being fat isnt nessesary an insult.

And how did u get to the conclusion that Ezio is gay? He sleeps with Christina, he has sex with that girl at Flori (forgot her name), he may of also sleept with a few courtasans after the carnival and he flirts alot with Rosa.

ProjectXigis
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
All right then "Adam", give us this "signs". Enlighten us to how Ezio is gay.

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ProjectXigis:

This thread is not about that but if I tell you will you all shut up and stop trolling?

Ok its the clothes that he wears, he is supposed to be an assassin yet he wears those flashy clothes that make him stick out in a crowd? And seriously no straight guy would be caught dead wearing a cape. But nope its not just that its his accent and if you notice whenever he is about to get with a woman it sounds forced like he doesnt want to be there.

And cmon you must have seen all the shameless flirting he did with Leonardo, that should have clued you in straight away. And that hug, it wasnt just a friendly hug that was the sort of hug only 2 lovers would do.

SWJS
11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
An_Idea is right. We're not trolling your thread and changing the subject. You brought up this nonsense about Ezio being gay. You state it's obvious and that Ezio is without a doubt gay, yet you have no evidence to back it up. Elton John is a celebrity, and celebrities always sleep with the opposite sex to cover up their sexual orientation. Ezio sleeps with women because he is straight. His file even states he was a "womanizer". Ezio is not gay.

Also, I don't have a problem with playing a gay man in a video game. I do however have a problem with someone claiming an obviously straight man is a homosexual without evidence.

EDIT: Your evidence is flat. Ezio's father wore the EXACT SAME outfit and had four kids. Also, batman and superman were straight, yet they wore capes and tights. You can't just base your conclusion over sterotypes. All nobles in the renaissance wore flashy clothes. It was a sign of wealth and power, not sexual orientation.

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProjectXigis:

This thread is not about that but if I tell you will you all shut up and stop trolling?

Ok its the clothes that he wears, he is supposed to be an assassin yet he wears those flashy clothes that make him stick out in a crowd? And seriously no straight guy would be caught dead wearing a cape. But nope its not just that its his accent and if you notice whenever he is about to get with a woman it sounds forced like he doesnt want to be there.

And cmon you must have seen all the shameless flirting he did with Leonardo, that should have clued you in straight away. And that hug, it wasnt just a friendly hug that was the sort of hug only 2 lovers would do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

first off those are his fathers clothes, and he is a noble, the art direction for his uniform is amazing, they kept it similar to altairs but to fit the renaissance, and, if he was gay, then why in every single interview about Ezio did every single person working at ubi say he was a ladies man and a skirt chaser?

and you thought he was flirting with Leonardo? oh you really can read people well cant you, if there was any hint of flirting it was because of the bad cutscene graphics

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Veen130:
Even if the Merchant King is gay, why does Ubi need 2 apologies. So what if hes overweight, that doesnt mean all gays are and also being fat isnt nessesary an insult.

Its not just that he is fat, Its also that he is so selfish and the warts all over his skin make out that he was cursed by god for being gay.

It makes all gays look like diseased selfish immoral pigs who have offended the gods for our foul and sinful ways.

Adam-and-Adam
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
if there was any hint of flirting it was because of the bad cutscene graphics

You cant blame the graphics for showing somthing you diddnt want to see. Im sorry if you cant handle what you see but its time to face facts Ezio is gay.

Neo_Age
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Seriously guys stop feeding the troll. If hes genuinely serious about this then he has no concept of the fashions, traditions and mannerisms of the time period the games are set in and is doing an effective job hurting is own cause.

Xenlecan
11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
As long as you keep not backing up your statement that Ezio is a homosexual, nobody is going to take you seriously. This is probably a good thing, as you're looking like a troll.

Also, the Merchant King being gay has been well-discussed on this board, before Ac2 released and was swarmed with people asking for advice and giving their opinions on things. The topics should still be around, if you use the search function.

Then again, I probably wasted the energy to type this out.

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
oh dammit sorry, no feeding trolls here, oh and your not supposed to double post adam http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://marketmynovel.com/images/Dont-Feed-the-Trolls.png

Dudebag
11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Successful Troll is Successful

Damn you guys, way to feed the troll. You act like the guy punched your sainted mother.

Deity Matrix
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Lol, even Dudebag knows this guy is totally ridiculous. Spouting complete bs to waste people's time on a forum? Seriously...

Kindly do not respond and let this thread die...
please

m3rcer
11-30-2009, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProjectXigis:

And cmon you must have seen all the shameless flirting he did with Leonardo, that should have clued you in straight away. And that hug, it wasnt just a friendly hug that was the sort of hug only 2 lovers would do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A-HA!! (the exclamation, not the band)

You used the same sources of Elton John and the cape as your justifying proof that Ezio is gay!

You are Gandalf the Fab.

Dudebag
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by DeityMatrix:
Lol, even Dudebag knows this guy is totally ridiculous. Spouting complete bs to waste people's time on a forum? Seriously...

Kindly do not respond and let this thread die...
please

wait whats that supposed to mean?

An_Idea
11-30-2009, 11:16 PM
http://austrianeconomists.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451eb0069e2011570ea5170970c-800wi

http://alanisgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/do_not_feed_trolls.jpg

http://onni.jkl.fi/~lauri/kuvia/do_not_feed_the_trolls.jpeg

fun fact i live near the last one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jedted
12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Dreams-Of-Glass:

I never thought about this too much but i remember being seriously creeped out when he put his hand on that gaurd's shoulder.

When you consider that Abul being gay was what made him pledge allegence to the Templars it makes you think about their grand goal in greater depth. They want to create a world where all mankind is united in peace, too bad that they try and kill anybody who gets in the way of that goal.

I know this is a troll thread but i felt like throwing that in there since it's an interesting topic.

Captain Tomatoz
12-01-2009, 12:48 AM
if Ezio was gay then there would be no Desmond http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Adam-and-Adam
12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by m3rcer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adam-and-Adam:

A-HA!! (the exclamation, not the band)

You used the same sources of Elton John and the cape as your justifying proof that Ezio is gay!

You are Gandalf the Fab. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who the hell is Gandalf the Fab and what the hell is a Fab?

If you are implying that there is another forum member that talked about Ezio being gay because of his cape that is because it is quite popular for gay men to wear a cape, its how we identify one another. You sir know nothing of gay style.

Captain Tomatoz
12-01-2009, 01:12 AM
thats very stereotypical saying that only gay people wear capes. I no people who are not gay that have worn capes before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Adam-and-Adam
12-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Tony6593:
thats very stereotypical saying that only gay people wear capes. I no people who are not gay that have worn capes before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

If you are talking about Batman and Robin then I hate to burst your bubble but they are gay too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Batbed.png

Captain Tomatoz
12-01-2009, 01:29 AM
no im talking about people in real life

JudgeQwerty
12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
No offense, but I think you forgot about Richard the Lionheart being in AC1 as well...

*sighs and types his own response*

What an excellent point!! How could we go three pages without mentioning that the biggest, buffest, historical badass in the series was also probably gay?!

Azugo
12-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by m3rcer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coolgerb:

Too true. I'm wonder if this Adam is also that Gandalf the fab. It would make sense of the two extremes; One more passive and the other more aggressive.

Also, a gay friend of mine said that the largest population of homosexuals was in Australia - Not implying anything, that's just what I've been told. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in Australia and I don't know ANY gay people. Nor do my family or friends... Also, Australia is home to only 22 million people. (Not much)

I would say America would have the most homosexuals in it because of population...

HewieAlbino
12-01-2009, 01:42 AM
It's the Renaissance. There are men prancing around in tights, puffy sleeves and capes. Don't tell me the whole game is full of gays. Off the record, Antonio wears a cape in a similar fashion too.

m3rcer
12-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Azugo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m3rcer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coolgerb:

Also, a gay friend of mine said that the largest population of homosexuals was in Australia - Not implying anything, that's just what I've been told. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in Australia and I don't know ANY gay people. Nor do my family or friends... Also, Australia is home to only 22 million people. (Not much)

I would say America would have the most homosexuals in it because of population... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarity.

nightcobra
12-01-2009, 01:48 AM
until you actually have proof that you've seen someone having sexual relations of that manner you can't really tell which sexual preference that person has, if anything you have a suspicion and that's not near enough to count as legitimate proof.

gregt662
12-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Yeah i so.. agree with adam. Altair is gay (did you see the sexual tension between him and Al Mualim). Desmond is gay too(with Vidic (dont tell anyone. Shh!!!))

Are you kidding me Ezio isnt gay and i didnt press X so there was no hug does that mean that my Ezio is straight and everyone else's s gay.

Adam GSAD! and hoke on it stop trolling and making false accusations. AND stop being a PR**K!

Realjambo
12-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Adam-and-Adam...

There are ways and means of checking who you are...

Well fancy that! You IP Address is exactly the same as Gandalf The Fab.

Buh Bye!