PDA

View Full Version : Will the new BOB beat other BOB.

Destraex
01-09-2005, 02:45 AM
This is something I posted on the shockewave forums who are developing Rowans Battle of Britain2 due in march as far as I can tell, I have been loyal to IL2 and bought every game in the series so far but things appear to be failing around here after the sueing business, especially with little news on Olegs BOB fothcoming and addons getting preferential release in Russia.

What do you guys think will be the difference between olegs new BOB and the Shockwave version. I would rather support Oleg but have an open mind. Competition is good in such a small market. Me thinks that shockwave may have filled the power vacuum after MS CFS seemed to flounder. shockwave seems to have some close ties with Microsoft which could be good or bad.

Oleg can you give us huge German Bomber Formations?? and still keep all those wonderfull new polygons in your models?? Any details would be good

"""""""""""""""
THe FS I play currently are Lockon and IL2PF merged install. I am used to being able to make and play coop missions with friends which dump us right in the action and have some character about them. Thus the missions need to be hand made and not generated AND have worthwhile objectives.

Just wondering if BOB2 will support this style of play?

And if the current Rowans BOB does support coop, although I remember the Rowans BOB1 flight physics feeling really bad and the A/C not really getting lift\gliding properly making it hard to hold an AOA. Although I only gave the demo a quick go.
"""""""""""""""""""""""

FYI Devs
I love the il2 series for its consistency i.e. the only models allowed in were quality checked by the dev team and yet look at all the A/C available.
I did not like Il2 series for its low a/c numbers and non-3d cockpits, no mouse control and bad sounds/ai advantage in clouds, same looking drab terrain.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

the 25mb early video....
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/battlebritain2wv/downloads/

Destraex
01-09-2005, 02:45 AM
This is something I posted on the shockewave forums who are developing Rowans Battle of Britain2 due in march as far as I can tell, I have been loyal to IL2 and bought every game in the series so far but things appear to be failing around here after the sueing business, especially with little news on Olegs BOB fothcoming and addons getting preferential release in Russia.

What do you guys think will be the difference between olegs new BOB and the Shockwave version. I would rather support Oleg but have an open mind. Competition is good in such a small market. Me thinks that shockwave may have filled the power vacuum after MS CFS seemed to flounder. shockwave seems to have some close ties with Microsoft which could be good or bad.

Oleg can you give us huge German Bomber Formations?? and still keep all those wonderfull new polygons in your models?? Any details would be good

"""""""""""""""
THe FS I play currently are Lockon and IL2PF merged install. I am used to being able to make and play coop missions with friends which dump us right in the action and have some character about them. Thus the missions need to be hand made and not generated AND have worthwhile objectives.

Just wondering if BOB2 will support this style of play?

And if the current Rowans BOB does support coop, although I remember the Rowans BOB1 flight physics feeling really bad and the A/C not really getting lift\gliding properly making it hard to hold an AOA. Although I only gave the demo a quick go.
"""""""""""""""""""""""

FYI Devs
I love the il2 series for its consistency i.e. the only models allowed in were quality checked by the dev team and yet look at all the A/C available.
I did not like Il2 series for its low a/c numbers and non-3d cockpits, no mouse control and bad sounds/ai advantage in clouds, same looking drab terrain.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

the 25mb early video....
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/battlebritain2wv/downloads/

Extreme_One
01-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Will a new up-to-date game with a brand new game-engine needing PCs that none of us can afford yet be better than an old (6yrs?) PC game?

Hmmmm - let me think.... erm.... hang on.... wait a minute - I think I've got it!

Probably! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Oleg has hinted at HUGE formations being possible with the new game engine...

As for asking whether there will be coop missions and the ability for the user to create them - well why wouldn't there be?
I mean if they can do it now and it's popular it seems highly unlikely to me that they'd drop this feature.

Destraex
01-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Hi Extreme one

The post within the commas was what I posted on the Shockwave forums. So the coop thing was aimed at them.

Huge formations in olegs BOB would be an amazing technological development (if the sim is so graphically rich) which I will believe when I see as I am a little skeptical.

WTE_Ibis
01-09-2005, 04:13 AM
For years 6 to 12

Friendly_flyer
01-09-2005, 04:24 AM
I seem to remember that Oleg stated that he wanted to make a system with a two-stage or scaleable AI model. The idea is to have planes far off use a simplified AI system. Keeping track of a heap of objects with complicated flight models and AI is what hits the system win FB/AEP/PF. With a simplified flight model and AI, one may potentionally have HUGE battles going on in the background.

Whether Oleg will go for the "simplified background action" or not is nothing I am in any position to answer (or even speculate about), but it seems at least to me to indicate that he wants to make BoB on a grand scale.

WUAF_Badsight
01-09-2005, 04:31 AM
correct me if im wrong , but isnt there 2 'Battle of Britian" games besides the Maddox Games version being readied for release ?

one is being published by GMX media http://www.gmxmedia.net/bob2/

is there another ?

Airmail109
01-09-2005, 05:36 AM
Im hoping that we will not have sterile dynamic missions for the Battle of Britain. Why?

A)Because unlike the Pacific War one pilot couldnt alter much.

B) Because I want to see historically accurate missions, compared to the Pacific or Eastern Fronts in the Battle of Britain we more or less new exactly all of the engagements and they were usually on a large scale. For example I dont want to see Loads of generated missions which are just "patrol this waypoint and engage any enemy". Instead I want exacty what happend in the BOB to be mapped out...all the large battles and attacks on airfields that took place.

In BOB, I will also want to see historically accurate Airfields such as Biggin Hill. I am hoping that Oleg is doing is Homework on the Battle of Britain as so to get it right.

I also would like to see accurate English rolling counrtyside with hedgrows otherwise it wont have that English Feel. Oh yeah and all the landmarks and manor houses! Oh yes and accurate cities. The list is endless.

PS I also want a working Radar network http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Friendly_flyer
01-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Actually, the dynamic missions aren't that bad, they just have a tendency to be a bit repetitive if you play several ones in one afternoon. One way around this could be to alternate between dynamic missions and some pre-made ones. This way the game can have the benefit of the dynamic campaign engine combined with variability of handmade missions.

karost
01-09-2005, 06:30 AM
I like Rowans BOB1 for offline air-war strategic commander

if you take over Goring position so how you can win in BOB ?
you have to organize , manage resource , plot startegy and targeting , manage a combat as a commander ...wow that's sound cool right ?

remind me when play HOMEWORLD2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

flyingscampi
01-09-2005, 10:04 AM
"In BOB, I will also want to see historically accurate Airfields such as Biggin Hill"

If my house isn't modelled I'm going to sue!!"!

IL-2 still stuffs the competition years after it came out. I expect BoB will do exactly the same.

Chivas
01-09-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm not expecting that much from GMXmedia/shockwaves BOB 11 but will try it out until Olegs BOB shows up. I am expecting alot from Olegs BOB and believe it will be by far the new benchmark in Combat Flight Sims.

Destraex
01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
I hope it will blow the compitition out of the water too as Oleg has done so much for ww2 simulations setting the benchmark.

I also doubt he will have any sueing from the British Aviation companies for some reason. I just have a hunch.

As for BOB2 I still think that this will have something Oleg cannot possibly produce with his level of detailed models, flying closely with 30-50-100 aircraft in a formation (meaning you can be in an Do17 as part of a 50 a/c formation with smoothness). So BOB2 should still have a niche.
Remember the Big wings that England used to put together and attack the bombers after they were returning home?? I think their were 30-50 A/C in them at least.

Heres also to Quantum computers and the clarity thy will bring hopefully in the next 15years

RevvinUK
01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Does it matter if one 'beats' the other? Why feel the need to stay 'loyal' to a sim or developer? do you only watch films from one director? I'm sure both sims will have their fans but to me the important thing is there will be some more sims on the market this year for us to enjoy.

LEXX_Luthor
01-09-2005, 05:29 PM
No Contest. BoB will beat BoB

Destraex
01-10-2005, 02:58 AM
I cannot play many games at once and do not wish to buy every flight sim on the market. I am after the perfect wave I guess.

In reality I will probably purchase both. I did realise recently that a solid game that gives you everything you need does exist. Rome Total War is the most satisfying game I have enjoyed in a long time. A few bugs but on the whole it provided everything I expected and more. A rare thing these days. reminds me of when the original il2 came out, I really have not been totally satisfied where I did not feel I was not waiting on a MISSING aircraft or element since the first il2 addons started coming

HansKnappstick
01-10-2005, 03:00 AM
It seems the developers of the "other BoB" were investigating the shortcomings of the Oleg's products, since they mention an "intelligent AI" that can be disturbed by clouds, among other things. I can only hope that Oleg takes it into account too, for his new product. It gets annoying to watch the same situation over and over again "Roger, I'll cover you" from your AI wingman and he keeps on flying peacefully 5m to the side of a bandit who peppers me. And this is for how many years now?

Obi_Kwiet
01-10-2005, 10:42 AM
If BoB doen't come out, I will go out and shoot every stupid lawier... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

RJNewly
01-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I saw a film clip of this sim that was leaked at after some game convention was held. The movie was about 2.5 minutes long and contained a huge disclaimer "that the movie is not representative of the final product" or something like that. Honestly it looked like a pile of **** - not even close to the IL2 standards we are used to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chivas:
I'm not expecting that much from GMXmedia/shockwaves BOB 11 but will try it out until Olegs BOB shows up. I am expecting alot from Olegs BOB and believe it will be by far the new benchmark in Combat Flight Sims. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Troll2k
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
From what I have read they are updating the graphics for Rowan's Bob II but are still using the 3 year old engine.

I saw the trailer.It certainly needed the disclaimer since it did look terrible.Reminded me of the Secret Weapons over Normady game.

Bull_dog_
01-10-2005, 01:10 PM
I'll buy em both and play which one I like the best.

I am glad to see competition as we are the winners...competition makes the world a better place and there just aren't many WWII prop sims around and I doubt that will change.

I just wish Oleg and some of the other developers of the world would quit throwing away old planes and starting all over...I for one, find the level of detail of current aircraft to be wholly satisfying and would prefer to continue to develop the FM's, DM's, graphics, Mission builder and game interaction.

But hey, thats just me!

Destraex
01-11-2005, 05:43 AM
I wish both projects well but in the end will probably play the BOB that is more realsitic rather than has the better graphics a little more.
THis takes into account how large the formations and complex the campaign strat map. Pure candy becomes very stale very quickly.

May the better "simulation" of the battle of britain win!

Johan217
01-11-2005, 06:36 AM
As a big fan of Rowan's Battle of Britain, I am looking forward to the new version http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It had one of the best campaigns I ever played in a flight sim. Also, it makes a great strategy game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For me, I think it will be like this:
- Shockwave's BoB: offline play
- Oleg's BoB: online play

SeminoleX
01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
When have flight simmes ever been able to claim a luxury of choices?

Mostly it's been here's what you get and you had best pay up and be happy with it.

A little stiff competition may be just what the doctor ordered.

SeaFireLIV
01-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Didn`t Oleg specify that there would be a standard Historical Campaign and a dynamic campaign where Britain could even be invaded? I definitely read this somewhere on this site.

I do not want a sterile linear campaign structure where I know exactly what`s going to happen and when. Sure PF dynamic Campaign is a little sterile, but at least you`re never really sure what you`ll have coming up next.

Haven`t you tried the Eastern Front DGEN when you have a mission to go and fly a sweep and as you prepare to take off you actually get attacked first by a raiding party of fighters and bombers? That`s the sort of unpredictability that truly makes a flight sim realistic - keep all the WWII parameters, but with the tension that every pilot in real life would have had waiting for the next fight.

oh, and hopefully Oleg`s BOB will be better than any other, BUT if someone else does better I would certainly fly it.

HotelBushranger
01-11-2005, 08:05 AM
It seems to me, that making an entirely new game, on one small (time-wise) campaign, would be very....small. You couldnt do much, there wouldnt be much in ways of campaigns, maps, most of the aircraft are already in the previous games....so why? I would rather a different theatre of operations, for example the North Africa campaign, now THAT hasn't had enough attention IMO, and neither has the Finnish-Russian War.

JG5_UnKle
01-11-2005, 09:22 AM
IIRC there was talk of a battle of Poland and Battle of France add-on too.

I still think that with the technology we have in FB it would be worthwhile to add a Finnish-Russian campaign too - we have pretty much all we need plus the new map we have on the way will help.

Also the Spanish civil war may be interesting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif We have some of the aircraft involved already

LEXX_Luthor
01-11-2005, 09:40 AM
BoB is the first theater for the new game engine. Hotel posted why... <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It seems to me, that making an entirely new game, on one small (time-wise) campaign, would be very....small. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Restricting BoB to late 1940 allows a specific planeset and limited map area to conentrate on developing the game mechanics that will be needed in the future expansions, such as new weather, AI, network play, ground control radar and hopefully ground observers that would be needed in future Pacific--Aussum coast watchers tracking Japanese air activity, and China--billions of eyes looking up at Japanese planes and connected by telephone to American and Soviet Volunteer Group airfields.

At the sinhq board, Ian Boys said that any English Channel and Meds maps for FB/PF are "reserved" by Oleg. The simhq board translates this as The Meds will be the first expansion after BoB...which makes sense as The Meds was the next battleground for Britain and Germany after BoB.

...or at least the first expansion after the 1940 France and 1939 Poland expansions here...

1939 expansion http://www.9-1939.pl/
1940 expansion http://www.france-simulation.com/

Most important, Oleg said return to Eastern Front in "7 years."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Will the new BOB beat other BOB. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif