PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Plug!

LuftWulf190
08-23-2005, 12:28 AM
This is comewhat on topic, and I want your guy's opinions thoughts on it.

Stupid question...

Yesterday I was replcing my floppy and IDE cables with rounded ones rather then the tape ones, and I was trying to move the PSU cable outa the way. I messd withthe connector that goes to the MoBo and I did not realize at the time it was clipped in place, well I felt it give alittle but not a lot so I just gently pressed it back down and I got all the cable in. I went back and realized that the PSU cable was clipped, so I unclipped it and removed it to check for any damage, I didn't see any.

But did I mess something up? Things seem to be running fine, but I just wanna make sure. Call me over protective, or a worry wart, but I dun wanna have dis blow up in ma face!

well I cracked my case open agian and I checked afew things, as well as re-aranging my jungle of cables. I checked out the plug and it can wiggle alittle to the left and right, and I tightend afew MoBo screws down, though I had them tight already. I checked out the conector pins and everything looks ok, but I dunno...

What would have happend if I ruined something?

My current voltage values for my PSU right now are,

+12v: 12.096
+5V: 4865
+3.3V: 3.264
Vcore: 1.408

I am sorry for acting like this, but I dunno if I messed anything up and I hope I didn't.

What do you guys tink?

wayno7777
08-23-2005, 12:35 AM
As it's running I'd say no harm done. If it got goofed up, you would have had a dead mobo....

Oilburner_TAW
08-23-2005, 04:53 AM
You would already know if you had screwed something up. Be careful about over-tightening the mobo screws, they are there just to hold it in place (it doesn't need to be tightened down like a wheel!). My suggestion is that since everything is working close the case and leave it all alone.

LuftWulf190
08-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Alright, I decided to leave it alone because I kn ow I am alittle OCD when it comes to things like this, and it has been working.

In a month when I dust out my case I may losen the screw just slightly, and I won't be touching the cables that time.

p1ngu666
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
if its working, its 99% certain tobe fine. btw u cant put them in the wrong way because its "keyed" or whatever

ClnlSandersLite
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
btw u cant put them in the wrong way because its "keyed" or whatever
Well, you CAN. You just need a hammer. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

LuftWulf190
08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
I wasn't worried that I put it in wrong, I thought I damamged either it or the bord when I tried wriggling it out when I was trying to get some room to put the floppy IDE cable in, I guess I only moved it enough for it to pull up alittle and rock to one side. I guess if I had damamged the MoBo either it would have blown up in my face or just plain not worked.

As for a use of a hammer. If you ever have to use a hammer to build or replace parts to your computer, you shouldn't have a hammer in the first place or a computer!

ClnlSandersLite
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by LuftWulf190:
As for a use of a hammer. If you ever have to use a hammer to build or replace parts to your computer, you shouldn't have a hammer in the first place or a computer!

What about a computerized hammer?

LEBillfish
08-23-2005, 08:06 PM
If after yanking that plug you can put it plugged in and power on in a bath tub full of water and it shorts out, then you'll know it was ok.......If it doesn't short our then you know it was broken.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ClnlSandersLite
08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
If after yanking that plug you can put it plugged in and power on in a bath tub full of water and it shorts out, then you'll know it was ok.......If it doesn't short our then you know it was broken.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LOL! That's just like the old witch trials.

If she drowns, she's innocent, if she doesn't, she's a witch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

LuftWulf190
08-23-2005, 10:57 PM
I went back and took a closer look at things. Remember I'm alittle OCD. I found a flashlight and I checked to see if the PSU MoBo plug site was loose at all, and its in there solid as ice. The give I felt was the slight give that the cable had and the very slight give the MoBo has on the screws since I didn't want to torqe the screws down and mess up the board.

As for a computerized hammer...thats a scary thoguht.

As for the bath tub idea, I dunno if it would work... COuld we use your rig as the test platform to see if your hypothisis is right?

LEBillfish
08-24-2005, 12:30 AM
As for the bath tub idea, I dunno if it would work... COuld we use your rig as the test platform to see if your hypothisis is right?

Naturally, you don't think I'd suggest something without testing it myself. One moment, I'm lowering it into the water and its doing noth .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........

ClnlSandersLite
08-24-2005, 04:16 AM
As for a computerized hammer...thats a scary thoguht.
Well, you know what they say, "when all you have is a nail, the whole world looks like a hammer." Or is it the other way around?

As for the bath tub idea, I dunno if it would work...
Actually, that test isn't 100%. You need to make **** sure that the watter is not deionized. Otherwise, it won't be conclusive.

You could find out for sure by first dropping a toaster (plugged in and turned on) that you know works, or some other small household appliance, in the tub first.

From there, proceed with testing...