PDA

View Full Version : Is there a tell-tale-sign when your prop is successfully feathered?

Charlie901
03-09-2005, 07:55 PM
I've been flying a lot of the twin engine A/C lately and it is great fun. During battle management I've lost an engine and hit the assigned key repeatedly to feather the prop. But how can you tell when the prop is successfully fully feathered?

Also how does using the fire extinguisher work? Is it only equipped for some A/C and does it work on all engines at once, when used?

Charlie901
03-09-2005, 07:55 PM
I've been flying a lot of the twin engine A/C lately and it is great fun. During battle management I've lost an engine and hit the assigned key repeatedly to feather the prop. But how can you tell when the prop is successfully fully feathered?

Also how does using the fire extinguisher work? Is it only equipped for some A/C and does it work on all engines at once, when used?

VW-IceFire
03-09-2005, 08:04 PM
The prop is feathered when the message that says "prop feathered" appears on the right side.

There is no proper graphical representation of a feathered prop.

MaxMhz
03-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Depends on the plane some (like the german ones) have a dial (the HB thingy)...

e.g. in the He111 You'll see it at 10-to-12 position (11:50 hours).

Tooz_69GIAP
03-09-2005, 08:21 PM
One way of telling is if your prop is windmilling (spinning due to airflow, not from engine power) and you hit the feather key, the prop should stop spinning.

Unfortunately, props windmilling don't always happen, like if you take a round in the nacelle, and your engine just stops, it generally means the prop is "jammed", so to speak. But if you disable your engine after a fire, or something like that, then the prop will probably windmill.

Charlie901
03-09-2005, 10:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
One way of telling is if your prop is windmilling (spinning due to airflow, not from engine power) and you hit the feather key, the prop should stop spinning.

Unfortunately, props windmilling don't always happen, like if you take a round in the nacelle, and your engine just stops, it generally means the prop is "jammed", so to speak. But if you disable your engine after a fire, or something like that, then the prop will probably windmill. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great thanks all!