PDA

View Full Version : Why is AC2 save data for PS3 is locked?

DAS_COOL
11-19-2009, 01:54 AM
This is outrageous, why is the AC2 save data is locked? This is a game where I (and many others) will spend 20+ hours on, and it's copy prohibited!!!

Ubisoft people, as shown previously with Evolution studios and CAPCOM with motorstorm 2 and RE5, such copy lock is stupid method and counter-productive! Imagine all of those 20 hours worth of playing gone due to HDD / YLOD! and NO, a backup utility where we have to wait for an hour to backup a single 2.5mb data is not a satisfactory method. Imagine yourself trying to backup a word doc and you have to wait an hour for that. That's the same feeling we are getting at the moment.

Please Ubisoft, listen to your fans and fix this problem!

caswallawn_2k7
11-19-2009, 03:29 AM
you can back up to any USB memory device (or even a PSP) and it only takes a matter of seconds but pretty much every game on the PS3 has this lock in place it's nothing new, it's why you never see game saves for the PS3 on the net.

RuYi89
11-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Fair reason if they do it to prevent those gamesave things.

It's a shame those cheaters ruined it for the honest players, as I always copy my save data onto a memory stick in case I get RRoD or something.

DAS_COOL
11-19-2009, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
you can back up to any USB memory device (or even a PSP) and it only takes a matter of seconds but pretty much every game on the PS3 has this lock in place it's nothing new, it's why you never see game saves for the PS3 on the net.

What are you talking about?

You can't backup the AC2 save data mate! Check it yourself, it says copying is prohobited! And backing up using backup utility takes at least an hour for a 40Gb HDD.

Not all games have this on PS3. AC1 and Far Cry 2, few of Ubisoft's popular games, doesn't lock it to the PS3!

DAS_COOL
11-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by RuYi89:

It's a shame those cheaters ruined it for the honest players, as I always copy my save data onto a memory stick in case I get RRoD or something.

That is incorrect. No cheaters/hackers have EVER succeeded. PS3's save data are unhackable.

Hundreds of games including few of Ubisoft's AC1 and Far Cry 2 are unhacked until today and probably never will.

Locking the save data to PSN ID is still safe enough for users to be able to backup unto USB stick and hack-proof for hackers.

unw311
11-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by DAS_COOL:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RuYi89:

That is incorrect. No cheaters/hackers have EVER succeeded. PS3's save data are unhackable.

Hundreds of games including few of Ubisoft's AC1 and Far Cry 2 are unhacked until today and probably never will.

Locking the save data to PSN ID is still safe enough for users to be able to backup unto USB stick and hack-proof for hackers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are wrong about that. A quick google search or youtube search will show you plenty of mods/hacks for borderlands, all done through modifying the game save file, on the PS3 as well as the Xbox and PC.

Locking it seems silly, especially since it is not a multiplayer game. I recently had my launch model 60G fail (YLOD). I bought a slim model, reflowed the motherboard on my old PS3 and got it working again. I tried to copy off all my save games since the Slim model has a 120G drive and found all the game saves I had on there were able to be copied over except for NFS Shift.

I now know the value of having saved games backed up, luckily NFS Shift is the only game I have to start over on.

caswallawn_2k7
11-19-2009, 07:31 AM
all PS3 game saves will work on another PS3 as long as your are still using the PSN account you were when you played them originally.

DAS_COOL
11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by unw311:

You are wrong about that. A quick google search or youtube search will show you plenty of mods/hacks for borderlands, all done through modifying the game save file, on the PS3 as well as the Xbox and PC.

Locking it seems silly, especially since it is not a multiplayer game. I recently had my launch model 60G fail (YLOD). I bought a slim model, reflowed the motherboard on my old PS3 and got it working again. I tried to copy off all my save games since the Slim model has a 120G drive and found all the game saves I had on there were able to be copied over except for NFS Shift.

I now know the value of having saved games backed up, luckily NFS Shift is the only game I have to start over on.

Heh... The work of a lousy developer probably, kinda how IW pretty much did nothing with their CoD4 protection.

Nevertheless, you seem to agree with me how Ubisoft's approach is really bad. As long as Ubisoft knows what they are doing the save data can be easily kept safe.

DAS_COOL
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
all PS3 game saves will work on another PS3 as long as your are still using the PSN account you were when you played them originally.

What are you talking about? It's like you are assuming save data can be back-uped automatically. Anyway, this is wrong, because certain games ie. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 does not work on another PS3. EVEN with the same PSN account! And NGS is not the only one, there are few other games out there that can't be copied over EVEN with the same PSN account.

Basically it is a stupid idea to lock the save data to the PS3.

DAS_COOL
11-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry for the third consecutive post, but this is what they said to me... a bit of hope I guess.

Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for the suggestion. It's been sent along through the appropriate channels for consideration.

Ubisoft Entertainment values its customers input and we do incorporate user suggestions into our products. In fact, ideas sent to us as suggestions to the Support Department have been used in the past.

Kind Regards,
Ubisoft Technical support.

Response (Uk Technical Support) 11/19/2009 14:32
Hello XXXXX

Thank you for your feedback... I will pass this on to the testers department to get these things verified.

I will get back to you asap...

Kind Regards
Ari
Ubisoft Technical Support

poptaz3r
11-21-2009, 02:40 AM
This unlock needs to happen I had a lock up today from a snipper spawn bug, about 200 roof top sniper guys spawn in one place then complete frame rate drop then crash. I had to hold my breath when restarting my PS3 because I am over 20 hour deep. I would have lost it if my data was corrupt. There is no reason for a single player game to be locked.

DAS_COOL
11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by supjj:
This unlock needs to happen I had a lock up today from a snipper spawn bug, about 200 roof top sniper guys spawn in one place then complete frame rate drop then crash. I had to hold my breath when restarting my PS3 because I am over 20 hour deep. I would have lost it if my data was corrupt. There is no reason for a single player game to be locked.

Agreed. And the feedback of bugs and reports for PS3 is pretty crazy at the moment. 5 pages full of complaints... Ubisoft, u patch this up... At least with a backup feature, people can still backup their progress without the fear of losing their data if it locks up/crashes.

nistepakke
11-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Well.. seems like i lost 7hrs of play.. my game started freezing yesterday. Thought it might have something to do with UPLAY..so i disconnected the dsl-cable.. fixed the problem for awhile..

But then today, when i tried to start my savegame.. i got stuck in the whitespace.. running around.. in silence.. nothing happens.. Tried deleting gamedata and installing it again, but no luck..

Thanx Ubisoft! What a great product you made! Great way to spend 100$

DAS_COOL
11-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by nistepakke:
Well.. seems like i lost 7hrs of play.. my game started freezing yesterday. Thought it might have something to do with UPLAY..so i disconnected the dsl-cable.. fixed the problem for awhile..

But then today, when i tried to start my savegame.. i got stuck in the whitespace.. running around.. in silence.. nothing happens.. Tried deleting gamedata and installing it again, but no luck..

Thanx Ubisoft! What a great product you made! Great way to spend 100$

Yea this is why Ubisoft needs to fix this! It's been a few days, and they haven't said anything officially. They need someone to get this fix, ASAP!

scotpb
11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
This officially sucks.

I split my time between two houses and i have two PS3's. I can move my save data between a lot of modern games. This is the first i have not been able to move a game this year. Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2 both let me move my save files back and forth.

Here i sit at the house i spend the week days at on my computer because i can not play assassins creed 2 here..

Great customer experience, thank, thanks alot ubisoft ..

xCaptainAmazing
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah the lock is dumb. I recently started thinking about backing up my game saves, but now I can't with this game. There's nothing wrong with just locking it to the profile. *sigh*

Phobos14
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
The lock wasnt on AC1 because there wasnt any achievements.

I understand backing it up and i wanted to be able to bring my game to my buddies so that they could play with weapons instead of having to go through the story, which they hate, and just have some fun.

luggage1999
11-24-2009, 01:00 PM
This definitely needs to be unlocked, given I started a playthrough on my flatmate's ps3 and he's moving out soon.

Make them associated with PSN accounts if you can, rather than the machine, that would sort out the trophy issue.

DAS_COOL
11-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Phobos14:
The lock wasnt on AC1 because there wasnt any achievements.

I understand backing it up and i wanted to be able to bring my game to my buddies so that they could play with weapons instead of having to go through the story, which they hate, and just have some fun.

Just like what luggage1999 said, other Ubisoft games such as Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia had Trophies and it wasn't locked too. So trophies is not an excuse for Ubisoft to lock the save data.

scotpb
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
@Phobos14 "The lock wasnt on AC1 because there wasnt any achievements."

I guess that why, Batman Arkam Asylum, uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Little Big Planet and a ton of other PSN games lock their saves... OH yeah THEY DONT locke their saves http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

G-Man1475
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I think this should be unlocked. I really don't see a reason for it at all. Plus I'm planning to upgrade from my 80gb PS3 to a new 250GB PS3 and I just finished AC2 and it would be nice to be able to transfer it over...

Please fix this Ubisoft!

Crash_Plague
11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, I turned on my console today and noticed the game I had actually taken the time to upgrade extensively and unlock things on was corrupted.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

So I'm now stuck with my second playthrough, which is less than amazing, haha....sad face... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Aiyakido
11-26-2009, 05:21 PM
well me and my room mate both have a PS3. I bought ACII and started playing it on his (thinking i could copy the save game to my PS3 later) cuss he has an SUPER tv and surround set hooked up to his PS3. so today i wnated to copy my save to my PS3 since he was playing another game on his to play and be abel to take my PS3 home to continue there this week.

Wel you cna imagine my sad face when i found out it was locked ><. I even tryed backing up his account to my PS3 (compleetly formating my own PS3) but as stated before still no ACII (it dose have all the other games on it now however :'))

please Ubi unlock the savegame date cuss this isnt cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif its a small update so please thank you

scotpb
11-27-2009, 12:11 PM
This beyond lame for corrupted game saves and users with more than one PS3 in their life.

I for one will think two or three times before suggesting a ubisoft game or buying one myself in the future.

If you want to lock my content lock it to my network account not my game save.

kiiient
11-30-2009, 06:43 AM
I just want to add my support for those who think the save data should not be locked. I spent the majority of thanksgiving break playing ACII on my brother's PS3. Now that I am back up at school in Michigan, I am going to have to start over since he can't copy the file to a flash drive.

I really don't have the time or will to reply through the 80% of the game I'd finished just because the save data is locked. Plus, after surfing through forums and reading about all of the bugs/ freezes/ crashes and corrupted data, unlocking save data seems even more necessary than before....

koubu911
12-05-2009, 10:18 PM
just googling things about PS3 save data and somehow arrived here. I do agree with DAS_COOL that our save data, our hard work deserves more protection,I am an AC2 player too. Prohibiting us from backing up data just drives me mad. Hope Ubisoft can do something to help us out.

luxorjr
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree this is stupid. I wanted to keep a backup of the save data due to fearing the YLOD and to preserve the three bonus maps that came with my Black Edition. You may not have realised but there is no way to restore these once the code has been activated. If your machine dies or you wish to replace your hardware its gone forever.

DAS_COOL
12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by luxorjr:
I agree this is stupid. I wanted to keep a backup of the save data due to fearing the YLOD and to preserve the three bonus maps that came with my Black Edition. You may not have realised but there is no way to restore these once the code has been activated. If your machine dies or you wish to replace your hardware its gone forever.

I'm not too sure how Ubisoft does their limited edition maps, but if I'm not wrong, you can re-download your dlc maps from the PSN store. Just check your download history and it should be there... Otherwise, yea, UNLOCK THE SAVE DATA ubisoft!

luxorjr
12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by luxorjr:

I'm not too sure how Ubisoft does their limited edition maps, but if I'm not wrong, you can re-download your dlc maps from the PSN store. Just check your download history and it should be there... Otherwise, yea, UNLOCK THE SAVE DATA ubisoft! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Alas no.
The redemption method is totally contained within the game.
It initially looks like the EA system (where you log into an account with them and get back anything you are entitled to) but its not.
Uplay doesn't work like that and the codes are ONE USE ONLY.
So if its lost (YLOD) or you reinstall its gone.

MEADOWLAND
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Well a mod linked me here; WHY? This does not answer my question or my plea, UNLOCK THE SAVE DATA.

MEADOWLAND
01-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm not letting this go unfinished, WHY UBISOFT, UNLOCK IT SO I DON'T HAVE TO SWAP HARD DISCS EVERY TIME I WANT TO PLAY AC2.

MEADOWLAND
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Okay Ubisoft, I have deleted EVERYTHING on my old hard disc except for the AC2 save data. I tried using backup utility, what message do I get EVERY TIME? "THE BACKUP OPERATION COULD NOT BE COMPLETED" HOW AM I MEANT TO BACK IT UP TO MY NEW HARD DISC? YOU EXPECT ME TO BUY ANOTHER PS3 AND USE A LAN CABLE AND USE DATA TRANSFER UTILITY?? FFS MOST STUPID IDEA EVER TO COPY-PROTECT IT

**edited for content.
Mind your language please, these are E-rated forums and the autocensor exists for a reason -don't bypass it. Also, stop posting in all caps and double/triple posting and especially bumping, it won't help matters, on the contrary, it will get this thread locked and you suspended from the forums. As you saw from the first page, the information has been passed along through the appropriate channels. I will also pass this information along - in the meantime, stop with the behaviour I mentioned previously, because it won't lead to positive outcomes. Thanks.

//Zgubilici

DOS_SkywalkR
01-10-2010, 04:03 AM
i was annoyed by the savelog for two reasons:

1st is the most obvious one, if my game data is going to be corrupted everything will be GONE.

2nd: as ubisoft missed to implement the function to replay memories (yeah i know there is the petition here and i already gave my vote) i decided to play through the game another time, copy at a certain point and continue playing on another account. so i can access the important story events whenever i want by accessing another user account on my ps3.

but what?! you not only are unable to reload memories, you also cannot copy your savegame. i really don't get the point in all this. this is basic stuff!

Avl521
01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking about replacing my PS3 HDD for a 250 GB one, just for the sake of getting more space, so I can place all my music, movies, demos and DLCs there along with all my game saves and the massive installs on some games (DMC4, RE5, MGS4 come to mind) however AC2 is my favorite game so far, and I need to be able to have that data on my new drive so...

Matt_156
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
/signed. just tried to backup my save to bring it over to my buddies house and got saveblocked. fix this!

Skarven
01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Sigh... My 60gb PS3 died the death of YLOD yesterday...

I had a day old backup of the system on an external harddrive... but no... All 10 hours + of AC2 is lost thanks to locked save data...

I am feeling quite sad at the moment...

TwinIltani
01-14-2010, 03:13 AM
As far as I am aware (and I could merry as well be wrong on this, please point out if I am and where\how), PS3 Trophies are bound to your profile and you cannot obtain them by just loading up a game save. If this is correct, then there's little point to locking a save to prevent cheating from the Trophy angle.

There's also no need to lock the save file from DLC point of view. Dead Space is a good example - the save file is not locked, but try transferring a save file from someone who has purchased any of the DLC armor for Clarke and see how well that works. It doesn't. Once again, purchase bound to profile, not to game save.

I wonder if Ubi locked the file because of Web Battle and UPlay...?

Still, it's an aggravation. Consoles do take a bullet (mine is old and losing 100+ hours of AC2 is an issue for me), some of us do play on two systems, plus it's rather apparent that AC2 game saves do get corrupted.

Ubi, in my opinion, should follow the road Capcom took with Resident Evil 5. The game save was originally locked and then many of us found ourselves looking at no-rhyme-no-reason file corruptions. After a significant amount of hell was raised, Capcom unlocked the save via a patch. Considering that AC2 is longer and more involved than RE5, keeping a lock on the save is really counter productive.

DAS_COOL
01-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by TwinIltani:
As far as I am aware (and I could merry as well be wrong on this, please point out if I am and where\how), PS3 Trophies are bound to your profile and you cannot obtain them by just loading up a game save. If this is correct, then there's little point to locking a save to prevent cheating from the Trophy angle.

There's also no need to lock the save file from DLC point of view. Dead Space is a good example - the save file is not locked, but try transferring a save file from someone who has purchased any of the DLC armor for Clarke and see how well that works. It doesn't. Once again, purchase bound to profile, not to game save.

Still, it's an aggravation. Consoles do take a bullet (mine is old and losing 100+ hours of AC2 is an issue for me), some of us do play on two systems, plus it's rather apparent that AC2 game saves do get corrupted.

Ubi, in my opinion, should follow the road Capcom took with Resident Evil 5. The game save was originally locked and then many of us found ourselves looking at no-rhyme-no-reason file corruptions. After a significant amount of hell was raised, Capcom unlocked the save via a patch. Considering that AC2 is longer and more involved than RE5, keeping a lock on the save is really counter productive.

Hear hear! It's great that we have more people starting to realize how ubisoft is risking our save data by locking it to the PS3. But we need more people to voice their opinion in this matter. The mod obviously doesn't care about anything said in this forum, as they don't bother to reply at any of the threads (including the one about bug reports/patch problems).

I advise that you guys help further by getting people to send an email/message thru the costumer support, as that's most likely the closest thing we can get to talking in person with the dev team.

TwinIltani
01-14-2010, 08:52 AM
The mod obviously doesn't care about anything said in this forum, as they don't bother to reply at any of the threads (including the one about bug reports/patch problems).

I seriously doubt Mods can do anything else but point the Dev team to relevant threads. I'm not sure how the Mod\Admin team is structured here, but from my own experience I am going to make a guess that they are assigned specifically to the community and have little action elsewhere.

What I would like to see is someone from Ubi in a relevant position acknowledging the obvious and at least taking the time to let people know that we're not just typing all this for the quasi-educational benefit of other, similarly situated gamers.

In situations like these, silence sure is not anywhere near golden.

ryand4485
01-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Hey guys I wanted to chime in on this one too.

I have just finished Assassin's Creed 2; I believe my in-game clock counter is 50 hours. I have sunk some time into this game! I would hate to lose it, so I too am asking that Ubisoft please unlock the Assassin's Creed 2 save file.

Presumably Ubisoft Montreal is going to have to patch the game for the DLC to work anyway so please give us fans the ability to back up our work!

Unfortunately I lost my save games for the likes of Resident Evil 5, Killzone 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 last year when my PS3 broke on me. Capcom and others have since unlocked the save files for their games, so I know that it is possible through a title update.

In the case of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (another Ubisoft game) I lost all my progress. Now Vegas 2 actually read my Vegas 1 save file and gave me additional items as well, so imagine if I had lost my original RSV game save?

This has to stop; the amount of time some of us sink into these games just to lose it is not very fair at all.

I would appreciate it if Ubisoft could please correct this issue, or if not at least offer us a reason why they will not allow us to backup our game progress.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

gorh667
01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Unlock it!!!!, it's stupid, i have more than 20 games and only AC 2 has a save game lock, sony should not permit to lock save files.

qui-sun
01-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by TwinIltani:

Agreed, please unlock the game files.

Like ryand4485 who replied shortly after that post, I too have close to 50 hours clocked in to achieve 98.4% game completion. (Yes, I have the White and am missing 2 Templar Lairs for the remaining 1.6%.)

Short of data corruption, none of this is actually a problem for me. That is, until the 2 DLCs for sequence 12 & 13 were announced. You see, I had originally intended to upgrade my ps3 to 500GB by february.

Now, it looks like I'll need to wait for and complete both aforementioned DLCs before upgrading my hdd.

Unless, of course, Ubisoft seriously expects me to play through another time just to reach the "new" sequences of 12 & 13.

Honestly, I'm merely asking for the ability to 'backup+restore' or 'transfer' my AC2 data. Not being able to upgrade my hdd because of the way ANY game was designed is rather frustrating and incomprehensible.

bokeef04
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mksun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TwinIltani:

Like ryand4485 who replied shortly after that post, I too have close to 50 hours clocked in to achieve 98.4% game completion. (Yes, I have the White and am missing 2 Templar Lairs for the remaining 1.6%.)

Short of data corruption, none of this is actually a problem for me. That is, until the 2 DLCs for sequence 12 & 13 were announced. You see, I had originally intended to upgrade my ps3 to 500GB by february.

Now, it looks like I'll need to wait for and complete both aforementioned DLCs before upgrading my hdd.

Unless, of course, Ubisoft seriously expects me to play through another time just to reach the "new" sequences of 12 & 13.

Honestly, I'm merely asking for the ability to 'backup+restore' or 'transfer' my AC2 data. Not being able to upgrade my hdd because of the way ANY game was designed is rather frustrating and incomprehensible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you have a friend with a ps3 that you can have a lend of will allow you to use the data transfer utility which will transfer the save file between ps3's

garrgar
01-27-2010, 09:12 AM
this is why i like pc gaming. you don't have to deal with stuff like that.

there is no reason to lock the saves of a game on a console you can't even pirate the games on it. absolutely no reason.

Solid-Snake-Eyes
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
I can't stand locked save files on PS3, it should be enough to just bind the save to the PSN account it was created on, like Burnout Paradise. Even Capcom reversed the locked save for RE5 with an update. Locked saves totally killed Killzone 2 and Street Fighter 4 for me, I made a bunch of progress on my brother's PS3 and didn't have the heart to start over from scratch when I got home to my PS3. It's true that people hacked Borderlands, but I understand that's because they didn't use any sort of encryption on their save file. AC2 is offline anyway so what does it matter? And a full system backup won't do you any good if you have to change PS3s, copy prohibited saves are not transferable via any method.

GeoAlex
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I have spent a lot of time on this game too. I've Platinum'd it and have played through the latest DLC. Having a YLOD seems like a terrible nightmare and I'm dreading the moment I may encounter it, thus losing my AC2 data.

Really Ubisoft, there is noone in the world supporting the locked saved data system. It serves no purpose and is a terrible discomfort for perfectly legit customers who are playing on two systems. Not to mention that carrying your own PS3 when you travel, just because you need the whole bloody console to play your OWN saved data, might make YLOD a tad bit more possible to happen.

The recent 1.02 patch didn't fix it, so I insist there is a 1.03 patch fixing the issue, when the 2nd DLC gets released. Common sense Ubisoft.... Please!

bokeef04
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by deadmachines:
And a full system backup won't do you any good if you have to change PS3s, copy prohibited saves are not transferable via any method.

have you tried the data transfer utility(think that's what it's called), it actually says in the description that it will move copy prohibited saves, although you will need 2 ps3 linked by ethernet cable

DAS_COOL
02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
It's great that more people are becoming aware of this problem. Unfortunately it seems Ubisoft are unaware of their fans demands... they are just releasing DLC without even giving the fans what they want...

C'mon Ubisoft unlock the save data so we can stop annoying you with this problem!

oscarwabbit
02-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi

I've come on to this forum with the sole intention of complaining about this. I am seriously unhappy with Ubisoft and am considering a total boycott from buying any more of their products as a result.

Is there an email address or feedback page where I can tell Ubisoft exactly what I think about this.

If you are reading this Ubisoft, let me make this absolutely clear. You are going to lose business as a result of this, at least from me, and I hope other people do the same.

Locking save game data is unforgivable.

Oscar.

oscarwabbit
02-14-2010, 12:40 AM
It's great that more people are becoming aware of this problem. Unfortunately it seems Ubisoft are unaware of their fans demands... they are just releasing DLC without even giving the fans what they want...

C'mon Ubisoft unlock the save data so we can stop annoying you with this problem!

Let me tell you, more people are becoming aware of this issue. I am a moderator at a games site, where we have 28000 members. I am advising everyone to boycott Ubisoft until they patch AC2 to enable game save backups. People are taking notice, believe me!

godsmack_darius
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
You guys are lucky, you can play most of your games :P I have the damn YLOD

Anyone no how it is caused?

pedrovay2003
02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
My biggest pet peeve is knowing that I can't back my saves up.

Ubisoft, I just purchased this game yesterday. It's still shrink-wrapped, and I'm planning on returning it tomorrow until this problem is fixed.

And yes. It's a problem.

DAS_COOL
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by pedrovay2003:
My biggest pet peeve is knowing that I can't back my saves up.

Ubisoft, I just purchased this game yesterday. It's still shrink-wrapped, and I'm planning on returning it tomorrow until this problem is fixed.

And yes. It's a problem.

It's great you are determined to go that far. This is one of the only way Ubisoft will take our problem properly. If you got other games play them first, as it'll take a while for Ubisoft to even do anything.

Xenares
02-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Here's my horror story.

Playing through ACII, thoroughly enjoying it. I'm a long way into the game & the 'pling' goes off to say I've got the trophy for chapter 11. That's weird, I don't remember getting the trophy for chapter 10, check my trophies, I've got the trophy for chapter 9 & chapter 11, but not for chapter 10.

Look up a walkthrough to see where chapter 10 finished and confirmed that I had infact finished chapter 10 but got no trophy for it.

At this point I wasn't too concerned because I remembered seeing a DNA chapter select thing & assumed I'd be able to go back & replay chapter 10 to get the trophy. So I kept playing, completed the game, found all the feathers etc. and had every trophy except chapter 10 (and the platinum obviously)

I reloaded my game & went to the chapter select thing & found that you can't replay chapters, only see their names! What's the point of that?!

Starting to get angry now about having sunk so may hours into the game and through no fault of mine I don't have the platinum.

Do a google search & find it's a common problem for poeple to complete chapters & not get the trophy and that there is not fix offered by the developers.

I reluctantly decide to play through the whole game again just to get the trophy for chapter 10. This time I decide to take out some insurance by regularly backing up my save file incase something else goes wrong so I won't have to play through it a 3rd time.

That's when I find that they've prevented me from making a backup of my own save file!!!

Why would they do this? I own many games & have never had this problem before. Very very angry.

So I do more research & read that if you use the PS3 internal backup system it will back up everything including non copyable save files. By all accounts this takes a VERY long time but without being able to just backup my save file it seems to be the only alternative.

So I commence my 2nd playthrough, planning to do a full system backup when I get to chapter 9 so if the trophy doesn't go off again for chapter 10 I only have to playthrough 1 additional chapter again.

Last night I completed chapter 6 of my 2nd playthrough & my PS3 died, just switched off.

So I rebooted it & it stayed on for about a minute then switched off again. I though it may be overheating or something so I left it off overnight & tried again this morning, same thing, it stays on again for about a minute then switches off.

So I've spent the morning doing 60 second dashes to back up my save files because clearly the system is close to death. Through much tedium & reboots I've been able to backup every save file except 1, ACII.

So I now have to get another PS3 and there is no way for me to transfer my ACII data and I can't stand the thought of playing through it a 3rd time.

So every time I look at my trophy collection & see ACII sitting on 98% it will serve as a constant reminder of why I'll never buy a Ubisoft game again.

My PSN name is Xenares so you can see for yourselves if you think I'm lying.

Assassin_Mitch
02-20-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree with this thread, this is annoying. I just today did my monthy back up of all my save files. This was the only game I could not back up. I just got 100% Sync, I do not want to lose it, it took me around 20+ hours into the game

BTOG46
02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
@ araratg

The next time you delete your post, and then repost it, purely to bump this thread, I'll just delete it.

Do not bump threads, you've done this several times now, and I have screen shots to prove it, bumping threads is against the forum rules, please remember this in future.

araratg
03-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't want to delete the work I put into my save but it looks like I have no choice.
I want to use my new 320GB hard drive without any other data than my saves and can't transfer the AC2 save to it unless Ubisoft unlocks the save!

DAS_COOL
03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by araratg:
I don't want to delete the work I put into my save but it looks like I have no choice.
I want to use my new 320GB hard drive without any other data than my saves and can't transfer the AC2 save to it unless Ubisoft unlocks the save!

Hey mate, you can still copy it... Just that you will require an external hard drive/usb flash disk that is big enough to make a backup of all the data in your current HDD.

I did this when I changed from my 40gb HDD to 500Gb, and it works. Of course it still is a STUPID idea by Ubisoft by not allowing us to copy it normally.

You know how long it took me just to copy a 40gb of data? 6 EFFIN HOURS! You hear that Ubisoft!? 6 STUPID HOURS my PS3 had to turn on coz of your stupid decision and your incompetency to care about your fans! That is not including another RIDICULOUS 6 hours to restore the data after the exchange of HDD.

So basically 12 hours for 40gb of data. Imagine how long it will take for those with bigger HDD trying to copy a measly 1~2mb of data.

Fix this problem Ubisoft! And fix the damn bug/glitch on the game/Dlc while at it. You guys don't seem to care about pleasing your fans.

araratg
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by araratg:

Hey mate, you can still copy it... Just that you will require an external hard drive/usb flash disk that is big enough to make a backup of all the data in your current HDD.

I did this when I changed from my 40gb HDD to 500Gb, and it works. Of course it still is a STUPID idea by Ubisoft by not allowing us to copy it normally.

You know how long it took me just to copy a 40gb of data? 6 EFFIN HOURS! You hear that Ubisoft!? 6 STUPID HOURS my PS3 had to turn on coz of your stupid decision and your incompetency to care about your fans! That is not including another RIDICULOUS 6 hours to restore the data after the exchange of HDD.

So basically 12 hours for 40gb of data. Imagine how long it will take for those with bigger HDD trying to copy a measly 1~2mb of data.

Fix this problem Ubisoft! And fix the damn bug/glitch on the game/Dlc while at it. You guys don't seem to care about pleasing your fans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want any other data than my saves, backup utility will backup all data.

DAS_COOL
03-07-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't want any other data than my saves, backup utility will backup all data.

Yea, there is no other way until Ubisoft fixes it. What you can do is, to shorten the time, delete all the unnecessary data. Like game data, movies, music, pics, etc. Game downloaded from PSN can be redownloaded. Movies... not too sure.

But if you are really serious about upgrading your hard drive, which I really recommend coz small hdd suxs, then instead of waiting for ubisoft to do anything decent, it's better to do using backup utility.

And hopefully when Ubisoft teams got their heads out of their asses they'll unlock the save data.

qui-sun
03-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by bokeef04:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mksun:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TwinIltani:

Honestly, I'm merely asking for the ability to 'backup+restore' or 'transfer' my AC2 data. Not being able to upgrade my hdd because of the way ANY game was designed is rather frustrating and incomprehensible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you have a friend with a ps3 that you can have a lend of will allow you to use the data transfer utility which will transfer the save file between ps3's </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the suggestion but...

(source: http://manuals.playstation.net...transferutility.html (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html))

"When you perform this operation, all data that is stored on the PS3ô system that will receive the data (the "destination systemĒ) will be deleted."

Besides, involving another person (AND their console+game data) is just not a solution.

DAS_COOL
03-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by mksun:
Thanks for the suggestion but...

(source: http://manuals.playstation.net...transferutility.html (http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html))

"When you perform this operation, all data that is stored on the PS3ô system that will receive the data (the "destination systemĒ) will be deleted."

Besides, involving another person (AND their console+game data) is just not a solution.

Not to mention it takes hours just for a megabyte or two!

qui-sun
03-30-2010, 03:01 AM
Doesn't matter any more now.

The 2 DLCs are finally out in my country's PSN store (as of March 26). I'm going to buy 1 or maybe both, finish them, upgrade my HDD in a jiffy, and forget about this whole mess.

Much as I love AC2, I'm afraid my feelings for it no longer spill over onto its developer. Shame.

DAS_COOL
03-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Yea it is a shame really. As I said before, it seems Ubisoft doesn't care much about the 'after care' of their own products.

They just want to release them and leave it as is. They tried to fix a few problem, but nevertheless, there are many lingering bugs/glitches that can affect the save game and they just turn a blind eye to it.

If this is the way Ubisoft is going, I'm not surprised many people are ALSO turning a blind eye on Ubisoft's attempt to protect their products.

This is just simply a matter of how much they are willing to care for their fans. If they care enough for their fans, the fans will care enough to buy more of their products.

But yea, I'd suggest for you (mksun) to wait out. Who knows Ubisoft will pull up their head out of their asses, and do something decent like bundling up the DLC or fix some of the problems. But if you give in to it right now, it's like saying, you don't mind them effing around with you.

bokeef04
04-09-2010, 03:02 PM
we get it Araratg, you dislike ubisoft locked the save, but your the only one keeping this thread alive now and bumping is against forum rules

also, i hate to destroy your Ubisoft is the spawn of evil for this complex but AC2 isn't the only game that has this

DAS_COOL
04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Wow, almost forgot about this thread lol. Maybe I've been to busy playing other games to care about AC2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif *wink wink*

Anyway, bokeef04, even though AC2 is not the only game that has locked save data, at least other games have supportive developers.

A studio that cares about their fans, cares about their product and takes time to continually refine their product until it is near-perfect. I'm sad that Ubisoft doesn't take this approach to their product.

Anyway, Araratg, don't give up. I'm also still advocating for this to be unlocked. The moment you give up, you're pretty much accepting defeat. Which means more and more developers will think it is alright to lock save data!

Furthermore you can tell the Ubisoft support about this and get the people over there to hear our cries. I've been writing about once every month or so, though I've been hit with the same "we can't do much, but we'll pass along your message". Nevertheless this can't go on! Keep up the 'fight'!

DAS_COOL
05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Another month, another sadness. Still can't understand Ubisoft logical thinking.

Anyway, same thing again, game still have bugs, save data still locked and Ubisoft shows no interest in fixing this up.

At least, to alleviate people losing/stuck with corrupted data whenever a bug appears, Ubisoft should spend like 20 minutes to make simple changes such as:

change
copy prohibition: lock => none
trophy lock to psn id: none => lock

easy!

This way, it will reduce people's complaints about losing their data or stuck with a corrupted data that causes them to unable achieve 100% on certain things.

This might introduce hackers, but the most they can do is just hack a leaderboard that nobody cares! Seriously heaps of xbox360 users hacked that thing in the first week this game is released! Furthermore look at the leaderboard now, there are already hackers for PS3 in there! The top 34 (in played time) are all hackers. So stop your stupid dillydallying, nobody cares about the leaderboard and take off the lock, because it is obviously useless to those who are passionate about hacking.

I only care about backing up my save data, and so does the other people here!

araratg
05-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Has Ubisoft dropped support for this game?

DAS_COOL
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Has Ubisoft dropped support for this game?

Pretty much... I still won't give up but.

But yea, look at them, all they care about right now is just releasing and releasing and releasing. After AC2 came out, they didn't bother much with updating until many people complained, it fixed the game a little bit. But after that they only care about releasing the DLCs. The DLCs has many bugs, but Ubisoft don't give a ****.

And look at it now, they just released info that they are releasing a 'complete edition' of AC2 that only adds the DLCs with no indication that they've fixed it.

So yeah, ubisoft only cares about releasing games and NOT fixing their own damn mistakes.

araratg
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
When you contact their support e-mail regarding this issue what happens?

DAS_COOL
05-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Pretty useless reply as usual...

"Hello there,

Unfortunately as Technical Support, we have no knowledge of New Game releases, DLCs or patches untill the date of release, however, we would like to suggest that you keep on visiting our web site to stay up to date."

I'd steer clear of their brotherhood game if AC2 is not patched.

DAS_COOL
05-26-2010, 08:51 AM
K boys... we have to gain more attention. One of the tech support added more info/hint on what we should do lol

"Hello,

We do understand your point of view but unfortunately as Technical Support we have no access to the developing part of the games or the creation of patches, that is why we tell our customers like you, to keep on posting this sort of issues on our Forums, the more you are, the better chance you have to be listened to."

So yea... let's make sure this thread is seen by Ubisoft team so they can fix the game!

sunrpc
06-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Hello,

As a new PS3 user, I would like also to be able to save my Savegame data on another disk.

I have to restore my PS3 to default state and need to format the HD. I was able to save all my savegame data but the AC2 one !
This is a real shame.

What is the most outrageous, is that no one from Ubisoft has the courage to come on the forum and explain their choice.
In the future, it is clear I will not buy anymore games from Ubisoft and will let it know around me.

I hope that someone in the dev department will have a look over here and decide to remove this stupid locked behavior.

SR

DAS_COOL
06-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by sunrpc:
Hello,

As a new PS3 user, I would like also to be able to save my Savegame data on another disk.

I have to restore my PS3 to default state and need to format the HD. I was able to save all my savegame data but the AC2 one !
This is a real shame.

What is the most outrageous, is that no one from Ubisoft has the courage to come on the forum and explain their choice.
In the future, it is clear I will not buy anymore games from Ubisoft and will let it know around me.

I hope that someone in the dev department will have a look over here and decide to remove this stupid locked behavior.

SR

It's great that there are more and more people voicing their concern about this. Please let your friends know about it too, the more people comes here and let Ubisoft know, the higher the chances Ubisoft listens to us.

If they want to see that high sales that AC2 did, they'll need us fans (who hated their lock save data system), no matter how small or big we are.

sunrpc, a bit off topic, but why do u have to format your HDD to return it to the default state?

LEPORTRAITDE
06-07-2010, 03:28 AM
I am much like you, DAS_COOL, i hate the copy-lock very much.

right now i am devoting much of myself into a game called "Star Ocean Last Hope International",another copy-protection one.
fear of losing my save, i do a full back-up about every 50 play-hours a time, and i have played that game for two months now, at least 300 hours i imagine (the game do not count the total play time).

i want to change another game for a while to breath some fresh air, but i can't, i have already delete other data, except for Save Data Utility, Game Data Utility which only has a "Star Ocean" install data--- to back up.

and if i have all my data back (which is over 200 GB), then whenever i want to resume my "Star Ocean", i have to delete them all over again in order to backup. No body want to do that, so i must force myself to finish the game before i do anything else.

forgive me for my poor expression, hope you can understand what i am saying.

anyway, i agree with you that this copy-protection thing must be stopped, it is just wrong not to let players back up their save files just because of trophy or rankingboard, and if there is really no another way to prevent cheating without harming the players' rights to back up their saves, then do nothing.
Just let them cheat, and let us copy, who cares....

LEPORTRAITDE
06-07-2010, 03:47 AM
By the way, i heard that ACII :Complete Edition is not one disk with all stuff build-in.
Instead, it just contains ACII original disk and some download codes, just like Xbox360 version of RE5 Gold Edition, you still have to download the two dlcs, thus there is no point of get it if you already have the original verion.

can anyone confirm this?

DJBare
06-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by RuYi89:

It's a shame those cheaters ruined it for the honest players, as I always copy my save data onto a memory stick in case I get RRoD or something. Actually the fault lies with those who want to show their amazing awsome scores online for a single player game, in my opinion those people have ruined my single player experience.

DAS_COOL
06-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by DJBare:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RuYi89:

It's a shame those cheaters ruined it for the honest players, as I always copy my save data onto a memory stick in case I get RRoD or something. Actually the fault lies with those who want to show their amazing awsome scores online for a single player game, in my opinion those people have ruined my single player experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't forget the developers. They think they are so high and mighty just because they sold a million copy.

I'm sure they didn't bother to check how many of those copies ended up getting returned for many reasons due to their stupidity. And locking the save data is just one of them.

DAS_COOL
06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by LEPORTRAITDE:
anyway, i agree with you that this copy-protection thing must be stopped, it is just wrong not to let players back up their save files just because of trophy or rankingboard, and if there is really no another way to prevent cheating without harming the players' rights to back up their saves, then do nothing.
Just let them cheat, and let us copy, who cares....

Yup I get what you mean. I should've did that, but now my HDD is already littered with soooo many contents it's too hard for me to just move all of them out. Part of the problem of having a 500gb HDD :P

LEPORTRAITDE
06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by DJBare:

It's a shame those cheaters ruined it for the honest players, as I always copy my save data onto a memory stick in case I get RRoD or something. Actually the fault lies with those who want to show their amazing awsome scores online for a single player game, in my opinion those people have ruined my single player experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
if that is the case,
then why they do not care another large group of people who want to backup their save file?

araratg
06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Requesting patch to disable copy-lock.

DAS_COOL
07-07-2010, 06:26 AM

Same... I'm beginning to get sick of Ubisoft though. I will NOT buy AC brotherhood or anymore Ubisoft games until they fix this dumb thing.

I seriously don't understand their way of thinking. Unless they can proof to me that they care about their fans (by unlocking save data for this game and any other games from now on), they will lose me as a potential buyer.

bokeef04
07-07-2010, 06:41 AM
so your not going to buy any game that has a copy lock on it? or are you just going to assume that all of Ubisofts games will and they are the only ones that are doing it

DAS_COOL
07-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by bokeef04:
so your not going to buy any game that has a copy lock on it? or are you just going to assume that all of Ubisofts games will and they are the only ones that are doing it

I'm not going to buy Ubisoft games that has copy lock on it. Even if it means AC brotherhood or AC3. I don't care how good these games are, but if it make gamers' life worse by having to worry every few minutes that our save data is fine, then screw it.

Besides, there are plenty of other good games I'm playing right now that worth my time, and yeap, it's not copy locked.

DialupNerd
07-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Ahh thatís the reason why I never seen save games at net, well itís a brilliant idea of not disseminating the info and I think thereís nothing wrong with that. Why to back up it anyway if you have your games save on your console? I think this is the one of the reason why games created by Ubisoft are being patronized.

--
<span class="ev_code_RED">***Advertising Link Removed***</span>

DAS_COOL
07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by DialupNerd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
Ahh thatís the reason why I never seen save games at net, well itís a brilliant idea of not disseminating the info and I think thereís nothing wrong with that. Why to back up it anyway if you have your games save on your console? I think this is the one of the reason why games created by Ubisoft are being patronized.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err... how is it a brilliant idea? Three things:

1. By locking your save data to the console, you're pretty much content with having all of your hard work potentially gone in a second. Oh you know, power outage, thunder can fry your PS3 anytime. And PS3 HDD won't last forever too. This is a feature on PS3 that allows gamers to make a backup in case anything happens, but Ubisoft just had to lock it all away, even though there is sufficient protection from hacker.

2. disseminating what info? wth are you talking about?

3. Ubisoft is also patronized due other bigger mistakes they did too. Using useless DRM for PC games (yes it's been cracked Ubisoft), Releasing AC2 uncompleted, not caring about their fans/games after their game is released, making questionable attempt on reaping gamers' money by releasing yearly games, instead of focusing on making a good games. I'm sure there are a lot more...

araratg
07-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Eziosantos
07-18-2010, 07:39 AM
This is outrageous, why is the AC2 save data is locked? This is a game where I (and many others) will spend 20+ hours on, and it's copy prohibited!!!

Ubisoft people, as shown previously with Evolution studios and CAPCOM with motorstorm 2 and RE5, such copy lock is stupid method and counter-productive! Imagine all of those 20 hours worth of playing gone due to HDD / YLOD! and NO, a backup utility where we have to wait for an hour to backup a single 2.5mb data is not a satisfactory method. Imagine yourself trying to backup a word doc and you have to wait an hour for that. That's the same feeling we are getting at the moment.

Please Ubisoft, listen to your fans and fix this problem!

Yes this is a problem but like someone said it can be saved to your psn id only.

*off topic* how do I access uplay through th ps3 using asassins creed 2?

DAS_COOL
07-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Eziosantos:

Yes this is a problem but like someone said it can be saved to your psn id only.

*off topic* how do I access uplay through th ps3 using asassins creed 2?

What do you mean "it can be saved to your psn id only"?

It's a hidden "option", you can only access it from the title menu, where you choose start, load, option etc. There is a sign on the bottom corner "Triangle: Uplay"

Yea it's stupid... It took me a while to find that out too. Another stupid thing Ubisoft did <_<

ryand4485
07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, my PS3 died on me and that is my 100% Assassin's Creed 2 save file gone. Thanks for unlocking the save file Ubisoft, you are a swell bunch!

Just to quote myself from January this year:

Originally posted by ryand4485:
Hey guys I wanted to chime in on this one too.

I have just finished Assassin's Creed 2; I believe my in-game clock counter is 50 hours. I have sunk some time into this game! I would hate to lose it, so I too am asking that Ubisoft please unlock the Assassin's Creed 2 save file.

Presumably Ubisoft Montreal is going to have to patch the game for the DLC to work anyway so please give us fans the ability to back up our work!

Unfortunately I lost my save games for the likes of Resident Evil 5, Killzone 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 last year when my PS3 broke on me. Capcom and others have since unlocked the save files for their games, so I know that it is possible through a title update.

In the case of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (another Ubisoft game) I lost all my progress. Now Vegas 2 actually read my Vegas 1 save file and gave me additional items as well, so imagine if I had lost my original RSV game save?

This has to stop; the amount of time some of us sink into these games just to lose it is not very fair at all.

I would appreciate it if Ubisoft could please correct this issue, or if not at least offer us a reason why they will not allow us to backup our game progress.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

If Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has the ability to load AC2 saves and I lose out on content I should have then it will absolutely be the last Ubisoft title I purchase as this is the second game from them I have now lost.

This is ridiculous, I hope for the rest of you guys Ubisoft actually decides to read and respond to the request put forward to do the right thing. I donít know why they have an official forum if they refuse to communicate with their user base.

Does anyone here know if my U-Play points/unlocks carry over to a new system?

DAS_COOL
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by ryand4485:
Well, my PS3 died on me and that is my 100% Assassin's Creed 2 save file gone. Thanks for unlocking the save file Ubisoft, you are a swell bunch!

If Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has the ability to load AC2 saves and I lose out on content I should have then it will absolutely be the last Ubisoft title I purchase as this is the second game from them I have now lost.

This is ridiculous, I hope for the rest of you guys Ubisoft actually decides to read and respond to the request put forward to do the right thing. I donít know why they have an official forum if they refuse to communicate with their user base.

Does anyone here know if my U-Play points/unlocks carry over to a new system?

Man, that suxs. I've already contacted ubisoft many times, but they don't seem to care. I tried forum, tech support, twitter, nothing works... It seems they just don't give a crap about us.

I was really excited about the AC series, but coz of this, now I'll prob rely more on PC, where I can truly backup my save data.

Anyway as for uplay, it is linked to your account, so doesn't matter if u are playing on PS3, PC or xbox, as long as you log in with the same account, the points will follow you everywhere.

dmbeyea
07-31-2010, 07:18 PM
i had this game beat with one 2 trophies to get,and my 60 gig ps3 died.. i had to get a new 120. and now i have to start all over.. grrrrr.....

http://card.mmos.com/psn/profile/dm/b/dmbeyea/card.png (http://ps3trophycard.com/profile/dmbeyea)

SBRedFlag
07-31-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree that the copy lock is a complete pain, but it's not completely true to say that there is no way to backup your save games. You can backup the whole HDD with the built-in option and restore it later or on a different hard drive if necessary.

DAS_COOL
08-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by sbredflag:
I agree that the copy lock is a complete pain, but it's not completely true to say that there is no way to backup your save games. You can backup the whole HDD with the built-in option and restore it later or on a different hard drive if necessary.

I've already mentioned that, but that process alone is like 6 hours one way (from PS3 to HDD) for 40GB hdd. Now imagine those with higher HDDs, that would take HOURS, heck maybe you can even beat the whole game for the length of time it takes to backup, a 120gb hdd!

Do you have the time and the patience to let your PS3 on for that long? That in itself is a risk too, because if your PS3 dies/power outage when you are backing up, you lose your progress, and have to do everything from scratch!

It's not hard to do. Numerous other games can do it. Ubisoft's own game can do it. I don't know why they're so uptight with this

SBRedFlag
08-01-2010, 12:24 PM
You're saying it takes 6 hours for you to do?! My 80GB usually takes 30 minutes IIRC, but I may be wrong since I haven't done it in a year or so.

But even so, if you set it to back up overnight or something, that's not too bad.

ryand4485
08-01-2010, 06:08 PM
it's not completely true to say that there is no way to backup your save games. You can backup the whole HDD with the built-in option and restore it later or on a different hard drive if necessary.
No that isn't right, copy protected saves can only be restored back onto the console they were originally backed up on.

When you restore on a different PS3 it doesn't install everything, game data isn't reinstalled, DLC, copy protected saves and things such as themes that are locked to specific accounts.

SBRedFlag
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh well, I'm not going to say that's unjustified, but that does kind of make things difficult...

DAS_COOL
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
You're saying it takes 6 hours for you to do?! My 80GB usually takes 30 minutes IIRC, but I may be wrong since I haven't done it in a year or so.

But even so, if you set it to back up overnight or something, that's not too bad.

It depends on how much data you have in your PS3. If your PS3 is 80gb, but only has like 10gb of data installed in it, that's probably why it only took 30 minutes.

But also, it depends on what kind of data they are. The smaller they are, the longer it takes. So it will probably take 30 min to an hour to copy 1gb of 1000 files, and prob only 3 min to copy a single file of 1gb.

And as you know, everybody have different PS3. Some people have heaps of small data (music/pictures/themes/videos/etc), and that is what can contribute to the long backup time.

So it may take you 30 minutes to backup your entire PS3, but for hundreds of other people out there, that's not necessarily the case.

ztheskater
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I for one will not be purchasing AC:B if the save files are locked. As I have two ps3s and need to be able to play on both. I'm fed up with copy-protected game saves and will not be buying anymore games with it I will wait until the game comes out and do a check on it before buying. I lost my Dragon Age save which I had over 120 hours in. If it is a matter of hacking both FFXIII and GOW3 have save files that you can backup and neither have been hacked so use that save file system for AC:B. Don't punish the users by locking our saves files and hard work.

itsamea-mario
08-24-2010, 02:53 AM
this is now a problem for me, my ps3 got the YLOD and because AC saves are locked, iut means i have to start all over again.
is it just the save date thats locked, what about the game data.

p.s will a 40Gb fat ps3's hard drive go into a slim 120gb?

araratg
08-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
this is now a problem for me, my ps3 got the YLOD and because AC saves are locked, iut means i have to start all over again.
is it just the save date thats locked, what about the game data.

p.s will a 40Gb fat ps3's hard drive go into a slim 120gb?

Yes, it will itsamea-mario. the 40Gb fat ps3's hard drive is a 2.5 SATA which will fit into any PS3 they all share the same hard drive requirements.

I too am requesting a patch to disable save-lock, or has Ubisoft dropped support for this game?

itsamea-mario
08-26-2010, 02:17 AM
ok, well thats good.

but i think it is very likely that they aren't going to change anything with AC2.

Wilhelm_S_Cream
09-07-2010, 10:42 AM
This may be a slightly different problem, but here goes.

I borrowed AC2 from a friend and played through it on my own PS3, got most of the achievements and all that.
Since I loved the game, I bought it. But when I start it up it can't find the game save.
The trophies are all there, and the game saves appear in the Game Save folder, but it seems I have to restart the story.

How do I restore the saved progress in the game?

araratg
09-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I have no idea why that happened, you're gonna have to ask somewhere else.

phanku
09-12-2010, 09:57 AM
My horror story so far.

I have a first gen PS3. I have been happily playing AC2 for many month. My PS3 went YLOD.
I re-flowed my PS3 and everything is working again. Instead of losing the 80+ hours I have put into the game I felt it would be in my best interest to backup the save data for AC2.

Low and behold.. I can't.

As many of you have done I have also written the tech support. I have not gotten a response yet but, alas, I do not expect anything different other than what I have been reading here.

I do have to say, however, as I do love the AC game line and have been playing it from the first one that if this does not get resolved for me (and others) I will feel compelled to do certain actions in my day to day life and those actions will be:

1) I will first tell all my other game friends about my incident and how much not only AC2 sucks but about how much Ubisoft sucks and suggest not to buy their products because of lack of customer support. Then I will ask my friends to spread the word about this issue. I will also ask them to write in to ask Ubisoft to change their ways.

2) I will wait for my response from the Tech department and then will proceed to use all the social networks to spread the problem and response about AC2 and as many other problems I can find about Ubisoft.

3) I will post those issues on as many other gaming forms I can find.

4) When I am in a game shop (which I do often) I will bad mouth Ubisoft to any one who listens especially anyone who is about to purchase any of their products.

5) I will completely stop purchasing all Ubisoft products period.

I do not appreciate companies that do not listen or care about the people they are serving. The game was very fun but this one issue demolished all that and more.

I really hope that Ubisoft decides to figure out a way for a regular Joe to be able to save his game data off one machine and put it on another machine easily.

phanku
09-13-2010, 10:51 AM
So to all who read this board please take what I am about to show you next as the sign that this company does not care about the people who purchase its product.

If you agree with the idea that Ubisoft should provide people, who have the need to copy and move saved game data, a convenient option for backing up AC2 game data then you should not only write Ubisoft but go to your local Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart and tell the managers of the store how you feel that Ubisoft is a bad company. You should also tell that manager that not only do you feel that Ubisoft wronged you and that the local store that sold the game to you should be looking out for its customers also. Then tell that manager how you are never going to buy a Ubisoft game again and are going to suggest to all your gaming friends to do the same.

FYI: I sent my letter next to the General "gameplay" question people. Lets see what they say.

My letter to Ubisoft.

Hello,

I would like to first take this time to tell you I love your game Assassins Creed 2.
I have been playing it on and off for about 8 months trying to get the game completed.

I am now some where in the area of 60% complete (as I like to take my time going through game and trying to complete everything). I have spend over 40+ hours of my time on this game and have loved every moment of it.

Now the reason I am writing. Just recently my PS3 (1st gen) went "Yellow Light Of Death". I am assuming by now I do not have to tell you what this is or what it means for a PS3. If you do not know please look it up as I do not want to explain it here.

I have managed to take apart my PS3 and re-flow it (once again if you do not know what this means.. please look it up) and it is currently working again.

As I know that re-flowing is just a patch at best to a heating problem in the first gen systems I had the mind set to back up all my data (including all game data) so that way if it does YLOD again I am planing to just buy a new PS3.

So.. The issue..

I got to the point of backing up my favorite game(AC2) data so I wouldn't lose my spot in the game and I find out I can't copy it because of copyright protection.

I am currently (as I am typing this) using the backup utility of the PS3 to back up the entire system onto an external hard drive. I have been reading however that there is no guarantee that if I use this backup copy on another PS3 that my game data or copyrighted protected items will transfer.

So now that you have all the background I have questions:

1) How do I guarantee a backup copy of my saved game data?
2) Why is it that I can't backup my saved game data?(Actually don't care about this question if there is a way I can backup my saved game data.)

Thank you for your help.

Ubisofts Response:

Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Technical Support. Unfortunately, the issue you are having is related to general gameplay hints and tips that is either covered in the manual, or is available via another source such as the Ubisoft forums ( http://www.ubi.com/US/Community/ForumBrowser.aspx (http://www.ubi.com/US/Community/ForumBrowser.aspx))). <span class="ev_code_RED">**</span>

You may be able to find hints, tips, and walkthroughs for this game for free by visiting fan led websites such as http://www.gamefaqs.com and http://www.ign.com.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

<span class="ev_code_RED">**</span>I copied this link straight from the browser and didn't work for me either. I had to copy it from the page and put it into my browser to make it work.

What I would like to know is how is this related to general game play? This is covered in the manual? I am pretty sure gameplay is not one word.

How about giving us an option in the game to be able to save the game onto a usb jump drive in some insane encrypted format?

Woa?? did I just come up with a solution?

I am not happy.

Larrykin
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I also have sent Ubisoft a personal email, still no reply, so until these game companies decided to come around and change things I've found the simplest method is to refuse to buy these games that have locked save game files, along with joining in on the game companies forums complaining about the problem and sending them a personal email telling them that until they change this stupid problem they are creating that I will not be buying their game. If enough people hit them where it hurts, in their pockets, then maybe they will decide to come to the party and change this stupid idea of locking game saves. So far I only have three games it effects me with but I have refused to buy Assassins Creed 2 and any others because of this stupid problem. Sure I can do a complete backup and hope that backs them up but the time taken to backup a 500Gb harddrive PS3 on a regular basis because of this problem would most likely cause my PS3 to die from all the extra work it has to do just for a couple of files they stupidly locked.

So until they sort out their, I'll keep my money and give it to the game companies who want to do things the way we want them to do it

For those that don't already know here's the link to the Sony forums about the save data lock which is adding to the complaints also, If you haven't already, add your complaints here also, the more noise we make, and the more games we refuse to buy will hopefully make these game companies change there mind on this stupid idea

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter</span>

http://community.eu.playstatio...ted-WHY/td-p/9689030 (http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/Savegame-copy-prohibited-WHY/td-p/9689030)

araratg
10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Requesting patch to disable save-lock, or has Ubisoft dropped support for this game?

ryand4485
11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Sorry to bump this thread but I just read that Brotherhood reads your Assassinís Creed 2 save and gives you armour, weapons and the money you had previously. Can anyone confirm this?

Can someone say if the Brotherhood save is locked or not?

As a side note I have to say I am very disappointed at the lack of support from Ubisoft on this matter, I tried emailing them. Asking on Twitter and posted in this thread at the start of the year and got no response.

Is there a separate forum for North America and Europe or are we all under one forum?

Black_Widow9
11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Hello,
Your goods do not carry over from AC2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
I'm looking into if Brotherhood save data is also locked for you. And we are all one big happy Forum family. There are other European Forums in different languages though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif