PDA

View Full Version : OT - Interesting

JV-44
12-10-2004, 03:32 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly many members of this forum jump all over someone who expresses dissatisfaction with PF or the like. The tendency of late is that whoever has the €œconsummate gall€ to even suggest that PF might be slightly buggy is either: an idiot, a moron, a child, computer illiterate or a €œTroll€.

Gratuitous (look it up) statements run rampant through this place. A classic example of this is from a thread just recently closed by the ever-vigilant Steve_V. I quote, €œThe "MAJORITY" of us dont (sic) have problems with Pacific Fighters. How come ??? Sounds to me like the pc system or the operator has gone flakey (sic)€. Was a poll conducted, qualified and quantified concerning this? I would be curious to see the raw empirical data that supports that conclusion. The author of the same post then spewed forth the following gem: €œThat's okay, you don't need to apologize for your low skill set.€ (I am assuming he meant to say €œlack of€ skill set.)

So we can now safely equate the fact that because Conan€s system has €œissues€ with PF that he is mentally deficient. Interesting. I would be curious if Mr. Skill Set has ever experienced trouble with his car or had pneumonia?

Another sycophant offers this quip: €œI have a machine whose specs are a degree lower than yours and I have only experienced one CTD in the whole time I've owned PF.€ The logical fallacy there would of course be that because €œolder computer A€ has no problems then €œnew computer B€ should not either.

The next retort is the icing on the cake. €œYeah. Total troll. You'll notice this turd hasn't even responded to anything that's been written back. He's probably just sitting there lurking in his socially ******ed way watching the responses. Putz.€ According to this stalwart individual, Conan€s dislike of issues he is experiencing with PF makes him not only a €œturd€, but also a socially ******ed lurker who doubles as a €œPutz€. (Not a Schmuck thankfully, just a Putz.)

I am sure the throngs of toadies will descend on me like locusts because I am a NOOB. (Or Newb/N00b/newby/newbie) I would actually welcome that. It would be interesting and refreshing to see someone make a valid (and grammatically correct) or constructive point here without having to call into question someone€s sexual preference, the lineage of their parents and/or their mental prowess.

Semper Fi,

Nick Vitale
CW02 (Marine Gunner) USMC
Bn Gunner
3D Battalion, 2D Marines
€œBetio Bastards€

JV-44
12-10-2004, 03:32 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly many members of this forum jump all over someone who expresses dissatisfaction with PF or the like. The tendency of late is that whoever has the €œconsummate gall€ to even suggest that PF might be slightly buggy is either: an idiot, a moron, a child, computer illiterate or a €œTroll€.

Gratuitous (look it up) statements run rampant through this place. A classic example of this is from a thread just recently closed by the ever-vigilant Steve_V. I quote, €œThe "MAJORITY" of us dont (sic) have problems with Pacific Fighters. How come ??? Sounds to me like the pc system or the operator has gone flakey (sic)€. Was a poll conducted, qualified and quantified concerning this? I would be curious to see the raw empirical data that supports that conclusion. The author of the same post then spewed forth the following gem: €œThat's okay, you don't need to apologize for your low skill set.€ (I am assuming he meant to say €œlack of€ skill set.)

So we can now safely equate the fact that because Conan€s system has €œissues€ with PF that he is mentally deficient. Interesting. I would be curious if Mr. Skill Set has ever experienced trouble with his car or had pneumonia?

Another sycophant offers this quip: €œI have a machine whose specs are a degree lower than yours and I have only experienced one CTD in the whole time I've owned PF.€ The logical fallacy there would of course be that because €œolder computer A€ has no problems then €œnew computer B€ should not either.

The next retort is the icing on the cake. €œYeah. Total troll. You'll notice this turd hasn't even responded to anything that's been written back. He's probably just sitting there lurking in his socially ******ed way watching the responses. Putz.€ According to this stalwart individual, Conan€s dislike of issues he is experiencing with PF makes him not only a €œturd€, but also a socially ******ed lurker who doubles as a €œPutz€. (Not a Schmuck thankfully, just a Putz.)

I am sure the throngs of toadies will descend on me like locusts because I am a NOOB. (Or Newb/N00b/newby/newbie) I would actually welcome that. It would be interesting and refreshing to see someone make a valid (and grammatically correct) or constructive point here without having to call into question someone€s sexual preference, the lineage of their parents and/or their mental prowess.

Semper Fi,

Nick Vitale
Bn Gunner
3D Battalion, 2D Marines
€œBetio Bastards€

Longjocks
12-10-2004, 04:54 PM
The street works both ways though. On the topic at hand, the very nature of PC gaming means one has to be in touch with one's system and understand how to tweak a game. That's part of the reason setup.exe programs are included as part of the package and why config.ini files are not encrypted and available for everyone to edit. In the thread, a comparison was made to a game that many people are having similar game-stopping troubles with in exactly the same way as this guy is with PF. Somewhere in there is a double-standard. Out of respect to that thread being closed I'll not go into any more detail about it.

Maybe a more constructive help request would have yielded greater results and less of a defensive posture.

But I still completely agree about attitudes towards negative posts. Even those that post negative comments with a degree of respect are often belittled. Sad.

JV-44
12-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Longjocks

Although your post is indeed well presented I think your assertion that the €œvery nature of PC gaming means one has to be in touch with one's system and understand how to tweak a game€ is completely false.

If having cognizance of the inner workings of a computer was a specified requirement in order to purchase/install/play a game the manufacturer/ creator would caveat that on the box€s side panel somewhere along with the system requirements. I think having an *.ini accessible to the operator has more do with programming issues than any great concern for the user. Much of the settings in the game in question can be modified using the organic internal screens. I think in the cases of FB/PF a user accessible *.ini was an inexpensive way not to have to hard-code certain things. Keep in mind that is just my opinion. I am after all, an Infantryman by trade and not a programmer.

You are 100% correct however, in your observation that a €œdouble standard€ exists. Some view this forum as their personal property and consider themselves members of some ad-hoc €œStar-Chamber.€ The €œdouble standard€ is akin to Orwell€s Animal Farm line. €œAll animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.€

Don€t misunderstand me. Flight Sims€ have always been my favorite games. (I have spent and am spending far too much time as it is playing FBAEP/PF.) Besides the time they helped me kill, the one thing I remember most from Chuck Yeager€s Flight Simulator, Lucas Arts€ SWOTL, Battle-Hawks 1942 and BOB, Microprose€s Gunship/Gunship 2000 and Dynamics' original Red Baron, AOTP and AOE is that they all worked €" straight €œout of the box€. (Many of them off of very unreliable 5.5-inch floppies) There was no need to patch something every other month.

Excuses can be made for just about anything by anybody, but they are just that €" excuses. The game is buggy for certain people. The fact that all computers are by no means created equal simply exacerbates the issue.

I have seen people here 100% €œcertain€ that the only way to fix User X€s problem is a complete reinstall of the entire OS and then by using various beta Hardware drivers. When in actuality the issue at hand was fixed, courtesy of a certain unofficial user€s guide, be simply re-seating his RAM. Prior to his €œRAM€ epiphany, this €œNOOB€ was chastised about not wanting to €œstart from scratch€. One stellar contributor even stated, €œWell have fun NOT playin (sic) the game N00B.€

Personally, several people here have willingly helped me out many times either in direct response to a query, from another€s question or from imbedded links. I myself have never incurred the wrath of €œThose who dared ask a question that has been asked a 100 times.€ However, I see on a daily basis, those willing to leap on someone simply for being €œnew€, stating the €œobvious€ or for uttering something remotely negative about Mr. Maddox.

You are 100% correct in another snippet of your post. It is sad.

Semper Fi,

Nick Vitale
Bn Gunner
3D Battalion, 2D Marines
€œBetio Bastards€

darkhorizon11
12-11-2004, 06:40 PM
I've fielded enough of these posts lately, what are we at now boys? Like one a day?

TX-WarHawk
12-11-2004, 06:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
I've fielded enough of these posts lately, what are we at now boys? Like one a day? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoted for truth.

JV-44
12-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Case in point.....