PDA

View Full Version : The weekly question of my mate Max

AllorNothing117
01-10-2009, 06:55 AM
O.k. just about every week my friend Max asks me many odd/unusual/strange questions to do with aircraft or IL-2. Every week I will post one of the questions here for your amusement and for Max's enlightenment.

This weeks quetion: "When a modern day get lands aren't the wheels spinning in reverse realy fast to slow it down?"

And as this is the first week here is a bonus quetion: "Can you fart on a plane?"

I will report all answers back to Max, who despite his limited knowledge on planes, has some how managed to get a scholarship to join the RAF!

general_kalle
01-10-2009, 06:58 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

no wheels doesnt spin in reverse,
to break the airplane they use regular brakes

yes why shouldnt it be possible to fart on a plane?

Aaron_GT
01-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Me-163 pilots had to be put on a special diet to reduce the levels of intestinal gas due to the issue of expelling personal gas on planes during rapid ascent.

AllorNothing117
01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I think the farting thing was summit to do with preasure...

He's about to fly to France with his mate who farts all the time!!!

RAF_OldBuzzard
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
... This weeks quetion: "When a modern day get lands aren't the wheels spinning in reverse realy fast to slow it down?" ...

No they don't. Doing that would ruin the tires in short order. Tires take enough of a beating on a normal landing when they aren't rotating.

In fact, there were some experinents done that used vanes to spin the tires up to the the normal landing speed of the plane that they were testing on, to see if that would help eliminate the tire wear. It did help, but the extra wear and tear on the brake system, ended up being more costly than the savings on tire wear. Plus, it added to the length of the rollout, and in some cases that would have led to the plane running off the end of shorter runways.

Col.BBQ
01-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Yes, you can fart on the plane. The modern passenger plane utilizes a pressure system that sucks in air from the environment outside to maintain sufficient pressure and breathable air while expelling air from the back to prevent over pressurization. This is why cheap coach-class seats exist.

Tully__
01-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by AllorNothing117:
"When a modern day get lands aren't the wheels spinning in reverse realy fast to slow it down?" Not the wheels, however many jets (and even some propeller aircraft) have the means to generate reverse thrust after touchdown. The jets do it by swinging baffles into the jet exhaust to redirect the exhaust forward. The props do it by altering the prop pitch past fine and into negative angles of attack.

"Can you fart on a plane?" Of course. All that's required is that there's gas inside your digestive system that's at a higher pressure than the air outside. As your internal pressure is more or less the same as the environmental pressure, the normal action of your intestines creates enough extra internal pressure to expel the gas regardless of environmental pressure.

Waldo.Pepper
01-14-2009, 03:57 AM
reverse thrust

The ultimate in reverse thrust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo