PDA

View Full Version : Japanese markings and unit code

Chuck_Older
10-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Is it just me, or is the way that some IJN and IJA units differentiated their unit numbers just the coolest d@mn thing? The stylised numbers on some of the vertical tail surfaces are slick.

Chuck_Older
10-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Is it just me, or is the way that some IJN and IJA units differentiated their unit numbers just the coolest d@mn thing? The stylised numbers on some of the vertical tail surfaces are slick.

mucker
10-23-2004, 05:19 PM
It's just you...........

Feathered_IV
10-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Not just you.

Some of the in-game default markings look strange though. I've never seen A6Ms with big yellow numbers on the side for one thing. It will be interesting to see what Aces Artwork come up with in the future.

Ruy Horta
10-24-2004, 03:19 AM
Chuck_O I advice you to get "Emblems of the Rising Sun, IMperial Japanese Army Air Force Unit Markings", by Peter Scott, from Hikoki publishing.

And I agree, IJA markings are great!

Unfortunately I have let my negative comments (as usaul) lead the way on this forum, but yet again you touch an area which was left lacking.

The in game IJN markings system is ****, that may hardly sound constructive, but that cannot be helped. Sporting big numbers just doesn't cut it.

The IJN fighters have a better time, but even here its a shame that they didn't opt for a similar approach as that taken wrt nose art on USAAF a/c. IJA types could have used a similar set up to deploy some of their more colorful unit markings.

Time will tell, but I am hopefull.

OTOH, talent being what it is in this sim crowd we'll see plenty of wonderful skins!

...and yes I am still enjoying FB+AEP+PF, so place these comments in the right context.