PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question about airplane compontants

Razman23
12-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Hello, I have IL-2 (original game only) and I was looking through the control key sheet and I have some questions.

I am not a pilot but I do know what the major parts of a plane are and how they affect the plane. However, there are some parts that I dont know really what they do.

so here is the list:

Cowl or Armor Flaps: Are these on certain planes and what do they do?

Airbrake: I assume these are the same thing as dive brakes?

Lock Tail Wheel: I know what this does but when do I want to lock the tailwheel? In flight?

Toggle gun pods: I also assume this is for guns that are attached to the plane at the bomb attachment points? Not for firing both cannon and MG that is installed in the plane itself.

Toggle Speed Bar: Dont have a clue on this one.

Thanks in advance!

Razman23
12-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Hello, I have IL-2 (original game only) and I was looking through the control key sheet and I have some questions.

I am not a pilot but I do know what the major parts of a plane are and how they affect the plane. However, there are some parts that I dont know really what they do.

so here is the list:

Cowl or Armor Flaps: Are these on certain planes and what do they do?

Airbrake: I assume these are the same thing as dive brakes?

Lock Tail Wheel: I know what this does but when do I want to lock the tailwheel? In flight?

Toggle gun pods: I also assume this is for guns that are attached to the plane at the bomb attachment points? Not for firing both cannon and MG that is installed in the plane itself.

Toggle Speed Bar: Dont have a clue on this one.

Thanks in advance!

StellarRat
12-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Toggle bar, turns the info display in the lower left corner of your screen on and off (ATTITUDE, HEADING, SPEED). Cowl and armor flaps, these are cooling ports for the engine. Open to cool engine, close to go faster. On some planes like the P-47 you can see them open and close on the nose. Airbrake = dive brakes. Tail wheel lock I don't use it. I'm assuming it keeps the tail wheel from flapping around on planes after take off. Gun pods, yep you're right.

Korolov
12-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Cowl or Armor Flaps: Radiator control. Closed, the radiator is less vulnerable to enemy fire. Open, better cooling.

Airbrake: Only on certain aircraft to slow down.

Lock Tail Wheel: Locking the tailwheel helps to keep the nose straight with the runway - i.e., in stormy weather when taking off.

Toggle gun pods: Switch gun pods on or off. Useful if you want to use one set of weapons in a specific trigger group (like disabling the 30 cals on the P-39 so you only fire the 50 cals).

Toggle Speed Bar: The red letters at the lower right hand of the screen that give your indicated speed in KMH, indicated altitude in meters and heading. Turns it off or on.

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/klv_ubisig1a.jpg

VW-IceFire
12-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Cowl/Armor Flaps - Thats the setting you use to toggle your radiator settings. The more open the radiator the more heat dissipated and the cooler the engine. Almost unversally that also causes drag (the cowl/armor flaps being wide open and into the airstream) so you loose speed (and potential energy) on your aircraft.

Airbrake - Dive flaps (as far as I know)

Lock Tail Wheel - I use this when I'm lined up on the runway and up until I land and need to taxi again.

Toggle Gun Pods - Thats for externally mounted gunpods (MK103's, external MK108's, etc.). Nothing to do with the internal workings.

Speed Bar - Lower left corner of the screen - displays alt and speed (handy for us virtual pilots).

- IceFire
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg

essemm
12-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Pilots of tail traggers lock the tail wheel so that it stays straight on take-off. I lock mine for every take off, leave it locked in flight, land with it locked, and unlock it for post-landing taxiing.

Hope this helps.

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/141103-warloch_small.jpg