PDA

View Full Version : DRM returning?

ProletariatPleb
07-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi there, I saw a tweet on-https://twitter.com/#!/DriverGame
That the new Driver required a permanent internet connection for the PC, so....is it returning to AC:R as well? I'd hate that >_>

This is the tweet:
"DriverGame Driver
@
@prudislav PC version requires permanent internet connection."

TheLeoCrow
07-27-2011, 02:24 PM
ACR has the multiplayer so my guess is that they won't have the always online drm. However we will have to wait for some official announcement to really know.

justinpunny
07-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sidspyker24:
Hi there, I saw a tweet on-https://twitter.com/#!/DriverGame
That the new Driver required a permanent internet connection for the PC, so....is it returning to AC:R as well? I'd hate that >_>

This is the tweet:
"DriverGame Driver
@
@prudislav PC version requires permanent internet connection."

Nope, I don't this so that they will bring back the same DRM in AC:R as well ? But I'm not jumping to any conclusion right now, because we have to wait for an OFFICIAL announcement to confirm this.

Cheers.

gimbeer
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I feel somehow extraordinary, again! Only PC will have those DRM. Great. Here we go again...

TBH, I personally wouldn't like to see those in AC:R.

Gvaz
08-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Uplay sucks terribly, and requiring the internet for a SP game is [edit: swearing removed] stupid.

Medo3G
08-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by TheLeoCrow:
ACR has the multiplayer so my guess is that they won't have the always online drm. However we will have to wait for some official announcement to really know.
I think Driver has multiplayer, so I don't think that's a rule.Also SCC had multiplayer yet had the stupid DRM.

Mr_Shade
08-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by medo3g:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheLeoCrow:
I think Driver has multiplayer, so I don't think that's a rule.Also SCC had multiplayer yet had the stupid DRM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The use of DRM in the PC versions and which one - is done on a case by case basis.

There are a few different ones that Ubisoft use, such as the one on ACB [currently] and AC2 [post patch and pre]

Until closer to release, and the announcement of the PC requirements, there is no news on what DRM ACR on PC will carry.

Originally posted by Gvaz:
Uplay sucks terribly, and requiring the internet for a SP game is [edit] stupid. uPlay is not DRM - that's the Online Services Platform, or OSP.

uPlay is a reward system allowing you to gain free content by playing the game.

Just so you know

I will also remind you about swearing.. just because the filter removes it, does not mean you should type it..

st4r.scre4m
10-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Like other Ubi games, I will not buy ACR if they insist on forcing their ridiculous and draconian DRM scheme down our throats.

Jexx21
10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by st4r.scre4m:
Like other Ubi games, I will not buy ACR if they insist on forcing their ridiculous and draconian DRM scheme down our throats.

yes. can't play the game without internet. reall bad.

Good news! It only has the one time activation thing, same as ACB.

Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E4300 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4600+ (2.6 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ or better recommended)
Memory: 1.5 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista, 7 (2 GB / 4 GB recommended)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (see supported list)*
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c-compliant
Hard Drive: 12 GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compliant, 5.1 Surround sound card recommended
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360® Controller for Windows recommended)
Multiplayer: 256 Kbps or faster broadband connection
Internet: Temporary broadband connection required for one-time product registration at first launch, permanent broadband connection required for multi-player. *Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 / HD 3000 / HD 4000 / HD 5000 / HD 6000 series
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8 / 9 / GT 200 / GT 400 / GT 500 series.
Laptop versions of these cards may work, but are not supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. For the most up-to-date minimum requirement listings, please visit the FAQ on our support website at: http://support.ubi.com.

ace3001
10-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:

Temporary broadband connection required for one-time product registration Why do they say broadband, I wonder. Even dialup should work for a tiny thing such as product registration. o.O Not that it's a problem for me, but a bit curious, don't you think?

TheLeoCrow
10-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
]Why do they say broadband, I wonder. Even dialup should work for a tiny thing such as product registration. o.O Not that it's a problem for me, but a bit curious, don't you think?

Maybe because you can't dp the activation untill the launcher downloads any updates there might be. For the people who buy it a few months after release there will have to be some updates that need downloading, it's very hard to do that with a dialup connection.

Or maybe upon registering, the game might download some files that are not included in the install disk but needed for the game.

This ofcourse is just speculation, I don't know anything more than you do

st4r.scre4m
10-23-2011, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by st4r.scre4m:

yes. can't play the game without internet. reall bad.

Good news! It only has the one time activation thing, same as ACB.

Processor: 1.8 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E4300 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4600+ (2.6 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ or better recommended)
Memory: 1.5 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista, 7 (2 GB / 4 GB recommended)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant video card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher (see supported list)*
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c-compliant
Hard Drive: 12 GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compliant, 5.1 Surround sound card recommended
Peripherals Supported: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360® Controller for Windows recommended)
Multiplayer: 256 Kbps or faster broadband connection
Internet: Temporary broadband connection required for one-time product registration at first launch, permanent broadband connection required for multi-player. *Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 / HD 3000 / HD 4000 / HD 5000 / HD 6000 series
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8 / 9 / GT 200 / GT 400 / GT 500 series.
Laptop versions of these cards may work, but are not supported. These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. For the most up-to-date minimum requirement listings, please visit the FAQ on our support website at: http://support.ubi.com. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could we get some official confirmation of this? If correct I will order ACR right now!

P.S. from recollection you didnt even need to activate ACB online, that was just if you wanted to earn U-Play achievements. I remember being able to play the game without even activating it.

Gvaz
10-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Shade:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gvaz:
Uplay sucks terribly, and requiring the internet for a SP game is [edit] stupid. uPlay is not DRM - that's the Online Services Platform, or OSP.

uPlay is a reward system allowing you to gain free content by playing the game.

Just so you know

I will also remind you about swearing.. just because the filter removes it, does not mean you should type it.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no issues with the uPlay reward system, but it being a launcher to play my game. I buy games through steam so there's alreadya layer of DRM so a second one is completely unnecessary.

Also if the forum auto censors swear words, editing them out seems rather asinine but alright.

Razrback16
10-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by kolitha.kuruppu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:

Temporary broadband connection required for one-time product registration Why do they say broadband, I wonder. Even dialup should work for a tiny thing such as product registration. o.O Not that it's a problem for me, but a bit curious, don't you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly -- but also consider that Ubisoft has a history of lying to the PC gaming community. They've been doing it consistently at least once per year since 2007, and not small lies, very significant ones, so nothing shocking, there.

TheLeoCrow
10-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Gvaz:
[...]I buy games through steam so there's alreadya layer of DRM so a second one is completely unnecessary. [...]

Actually ACB on Steam doesn't have steam's DRM, if you double click on the exe of the game (or make a shortcut for it) then you can run it without steam running

iN3krO
10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't see the problem of the DRM... i have internet 24/7 so i don't worry about, if you have a pc that can manage to play ac without any problems how is that posible that you don't have internet 24/7?

Mr_Shade
11-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Please see the pinned head for details of the DRM used in ACR.

It's a one time activation, with offline play.

To use uplay, dlc or multiplayer you will need a connection though of course.

Razrback16
11-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
I don't see the problem of the DRM... i have internet 24/7 so i don't worry about, if you have a pc that can manage to play ac without any problems how is that posible that you don't have internet 24/7?

It's called outages. Both when AC servers go down and when your provider has a problem. I remember shortly after purchasing AC2 the UBI servers went down for 3 days and guess what -- no one could play AC2 on PC for 3 days. Unacceptable. Glad I only payed about $19 for my copy for that very reason. Fortunately Ubisoft realized the stupidity of their ways and changed their DRM configuration for Brotherhood & Revelations.