PDA

View Full Version : Original Rowan´s Battle of Britain

Bsnakeman
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
S !
Yesterday just for fun I downloaded the original Rowan´s Battle of Britain demo and indeed it was fun, kind of cartoon sim but you can hear a real Spit Rolls-Royce Merlin engine sound. It´s a shame that engines in our sim are not close to the real thing.

Best,

MEGILE
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
It´s a shame that engines in our sim are not close to the real thing.

Yes it is.

danjama
10-04-2005, 03:28 PM
One word = Audigy 2

Bsnakeman
10-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I have one

Best,

spitzfiya
10-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
One word = Audigy 2

Beautifull sig http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ARCHIE_CALVERT
10-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Anyone remember playing these€¦

http://exotica.fix.no/gallery/games/images/b/BirdsOfPrey.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/11.jpg

On the Amiga of course€¦ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ParaB
10-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Pffft... I had the original BoB on my 386-machine.... 1MB RAM, 40MB HD, VGA-grafics and an Adlib soundcard. In fact I bought that computer just for that sim. What a game! I still have the manual. Same for SWOTL, Red Baron, Falcon, and pretty much every flightsim that got released since the late 1980s.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

REDHAWK_1
10-05-2005, 07:00 PM
~S~ All!
All the days b4 the internet and M/P. How I remember those days. I rememebr my 1st Sim was called Knights Of the Sky, which was a WW1 sim and then I got Battlehawks 1942 by Lucasflims then I got the BOB Thier Finest Hour, Aces Of the Pacfic and Aces Over Europe, European Air War and all the others. Air Warriors1,2 and 3. Almost every Air Combat sim that came I got and still have. Have all 3 CFS sims. I have been flying Air Combat Sims since 1987,b4 the internet and M/P came out. I dont care what any one says, To me the two Best Air Combat sims are Wings Of Glory a Ww1 and the old but still one of the Greatest WW2 Air Combat sims European Air War. Now that sim was way ahead of its time. Believe or not EAW isnt dead, there is a bunch of guys who has made patches for it and it is still alive and running. How I miss those days.

Old_Canuck
10-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
One word = Audigy 2

Someone posted here awhile back about boosting the base sounds with his Plantronics headset so I tried his advice and was amazed at the layering of sounds. Even the little Rata has a deep growl now along with the fan sounds and vibrations. The sounds are in there, you just have to tweak them out into the open.

wayno7777
10-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Always liked EAW. Made the mistake of playing the demo for IL-2....

Maverick_MW
10-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Ahh.. Red Baron. I remember it well. I played it so much it became so stupidly easy, but that was the "AI" at the time.

Downing three Aces in one mission...

airjunkie
10-06-2005, 04:34 PM
I have that, it is a old graphics engine. Anyone try the new version yet?

danjama
10-06-2005, 04:41 PM
EAW is my fave game next to this series. Its a shame it wont run on windows XP. Does anyone know of a patch that fixed this to run on XP, it'd be great to play it again. I still have the EAW manual, one of the best! The old days of interesting manuals are dead sadly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

major_setback
10-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I bought EAW and BoB1 but found that I couldn't get on with them for some reason. BoB1 textures were messed up on my setup, and EAW ground objects and scenery didn't suit my expectations. I never felt that they quite matched "<span class="ev_code_PINK">FIGHTER SQUADRON </span> - Screamin' Demons" which was the first sim I ever bought and got to know.

With Fighter Squadron I had no previous experience of flight sims, and didn't even know the meaning of 'padlock'. Hence I played full real all the time without knowing that it could be any different! Many was the time I would take off and climb to altitude only to have my opponent whiz by at high speed never to be seen again!

There is something very appealing about the visuals in that sim, you could just enjoy the view, and there were plenty of ground objects. One aspect I liked was that certain houses would explode (explosions were very realistic) when strafed, as if they were concealing armaments.

You could also fly or man the guns in a Lancaster, B17 or Ju88!! (Oh...and fly a Mosquito and Typhoon!!!!).

I loved strafing/rocket attacks on the detailed airfields, as there seemed to be such a lot of high explosive concealed around them!

There's a very memorable quick mission in which you have attack Me262s as they are taking off (and make sure you get them before they can get up to speed). I love the squeal of the jet engines on that mission.

I got fighter squadron to work on XP without too much trouble (had to install it via the DVD drive for some reason).

panther3485
10-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi danjama,

Quote:
*"EAW is my fave game next to this series. Its a shame it wont run on windows XP. Does anyone know of a patch that fixed this to run on XP, it'd be great to play it again. I still have the EAW manual, one of the best! The old days of interesting manuals are dead sadly."

I've posted on this in another thread, but just in case you've not seen that yet, please note that EAW can run perfectly well in XP. I ran it with XP for 18 months on two completely different rigs (my current machine and the one I had before). The only issue was the corruption of the briefing screens when using a GeForce series GPU. This was fixable. I also have a local friend who ran EAW with XP, no probs.
The only reason I can't run it now is due to relatively recent GPU and driver updates. EAW just doesn't get along with them! Shame, because alongside IL-2x it is my most loved sim.

BTW, I agree with you about the manuals today!

Best regards,
panther3485

Aaron_GT
10-07-2005, 02:40 PM
I could get EAW to run on XP but had no luck with my stick set up. It would always recognise my pedals as a stick and not recognise my stick at all. I gave up in the end and got rid of EAW, but those screenshots do look nice.

panther3485
10-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Hi, AaronGT

Quote:
"I could get EAW to run on XP but had no luck with my stick set up. It would always recognise my pedals as a stick and not recognise my stick at all."

When I changed to my HOTAS Cougar with Elite pedals (about 18 months ago), EAW wouldn't recognize the contols properly. This was a limitation of the software (given its age) and I couldn't find a patch/mod to fix it.

I turned off the rudder pedals within the game, going instead for the 'hatswitch as rudder' option. This solved the problem (I was about to disconnect the pedals if it hadn't worked) but of course, I lost the extra little bit of realism that you get with pedals!

Not saying this sort of juggling could have worked for you (too many variables), but just thought I'd mention it. In the end, it was GPU and driver updates that killed EAW for me!

Best regards,
panther3485