PDA

View Full Version : P-40M and P-51D

Snuffly
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
These are my favorite planes... unfortunately, today, i didnt have a good flying day, or perhaps it was the server. I wont mention the server because its a good server but anyways...
(5 on blue team and 2 on red, I managed to shoot 3 planes down in one hour, but what do u expect when u got la's and yak's all over ur 6?)

These planes are the OPPOSITE
P-40... Slow-average speed
Very maneuverable
Rough and Tuff

P-51... Fast-Super fast
low-average maneuverablility (unless ur real hi.
One engine shot = oh sheet i gotta bail!

Now in the begining all I flew was a P-40M and I got good in it.
One day i was flyin with a buddy, and I was loaded up and ready in my P-40M thers where 5 109's at low altitude over our base, pushed the throttle forward put the nose down a little gained some speed, and shot 1 one down on my first pass, turned got on anothers six, shot him down in a matter of seconds... then i saw two on my six, so i added flaps and outturned em
and got one of them, then the other went straight up and tried to pull a hammer head on me, just as his fuel started to leak, my screen went blackj and the 5th one came up and got me in the cockpit.
(the best run in my multiplayer pilot career ever)

Then I started to fly the P-51. ( i wont go into that, took me ages just to learn how to handle it right.) But I shot down a decent amount of planes.

So which plane would you use, if u had a choice to learn how to use... in the 4.0

I'm thinkin the P-40, cuz if u aint got speed u got a turn, but in some cases that wont matter, (friggin "la's" from hell)
But there is always a way out.

MS_Siwarrior
06-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I like the both of em but the P-40 just has something that the P-51 doesn't
Stiil don't know what it is though

bolillo_loco
06-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by MS_Siwarrior:
I like the both of em but the P-40 just has something that the P-51 doesn't
Stiil don't know what it is though

the P-40 has the romance of being used by the AVG and it also sports the shark mouth better than any a/c I have ever seen.

mole_boy
06-02-2005, 11:42 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

HotelBushranger
06-03-2005, 01:23 AM
Yep, I choose the P-40. Apart from being robust, fast, well armed, manouverable (roll rate) better suited at low alt, where most online furballs are, it's an excellent beginners plane.

Atomic_Marten
06-03-2005, 01:43 AM
P-40 have above average dogfighter performance and is very pleasant plane to fly with overall very good performance regarding the time it flew/early war. For sure.

I remember that I have once joined pure dogfight server (pit off) with red/blue base distance 4k. I have fight Spitfires, LaGG3s, LA7s, KI84s and I remember that I got the second score by the time I decided to quit.
One guy have even asked me if I have scored all that in P-40. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

As long as you give it a little speed P-40 will serve really good. The only real complaint about type is vulnerability.(I guess that I disgree with some of guys in that opinion).

BTW cannot decide between P-51 and P-40 since it depends really on mission type.

AerialTarget
06-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Well, it was tough in real life, but in the game one hit of any caliber to the wings ensures that you cannot maneuver at all. Slow speed then guarantees destruction.

tigertalon
06-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Snuffly:
One day i was flyin with a buddy, and I was loaded up and ready in my P-40M thers where 5 109's at low altitude over our base, pushed the throttle forward put the nose down a little gained some speed, and shot 1 one down on my first pass, turned got on anothers six, shot him down in a matter of seconds... then i saw two on my six, so i added flaps and outturned em
and got one of them, then the other went straight up and tried to pull a hammer head on me, just as his fuel started to leak, my screen went blackj and the 5th one came up and got me in the cockpit.

Wow, that's a really cool story man, and a good fight! For a moment I felt like reading "The big show" again. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

On the subject of P40 v P51 : Depends on the mission, but in most cases I will choose Mustang. Excellent speed and elevator response at high speeds, remarkable high alt performance, good ammo (I like the idea of 2 guns having more - this way you can't run out of everything at same moment), excellent visibility, very good terminal dive speed, good loadouts.

(LOL, anybody recognises I am a Fw rider? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)

Only plane in game, that is on a par with D9 and Yak9U for dogfighting IMO.

P40 on the other hand makes a great stall-dogfighter, and randomized tracers seem much more real than clustered on P51.

Atomic_Marten
06-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by AerialTarget:
Well, it was tough in real life, but in the game one hit of any caliber to the wings ensures that you cannot maneuver at all. Slow speed then guarantees destruction.

So you are saying that the P-40 DM is undermodelled then (damage model)?

Jasko76
06-03-2005, 02:11 AM
Don't get me wrong here, I really like the P-40, but everything I've ever read or heard about it says it was an underdog, truly second to P-51, Spit, Bf 109 and Fw 190. But not in this game! It's a real confidence builder, highly maneuverable, well armed and with good performance. Only downside is it's glass jaw.

How come? I mean, if P-40 was this good in real life, why did they bother with P-47 and P-51?

JG53Frankyboy
06-03-2005, 02:16 AM
the P-40 had no range and no high alt power.
also its climb was not the best.

AerialTarget
06-03-2005, 02:21 AM
I know what you mean; I used to think the same thing, even though I liked and still like the P-40. However, its slow speed does make it a mediocre fighter. In fact, that was its problem in real life. It wasn't fast enough to play with the big boys. The real Warhawk was not as unmaneuverable as everyone thinks; it just wasn't as maneuverable as the Zero.

I actually think now that the game is pretty close to real life with the flight model, including the vicious spin tendency. The official United States Army Air Force training video says that if the P-40 stalls in any configuration, it goes into a nasty spin. Of course, the game doesn't add the fact that if the early models stalled with a high pitch (not the angle of attack), it would tumble nose over tail for ten thousand feet. Those factors - the slow speed and the nasty spins - are what make it both in real life and in the game a mediocre fighter. Also, if I remember correctly, however, the real P-40 didn't climb nearly as well as the one in the game.

Of course, the damage model is another story. Who knows? The game could be accurate with the glass wings. But I doubt that the P-40 would have gotten a reputation for being able to take a beating were it this fragile in real life.

Hey, can you possibly be more objective over your third favorite fighter?

JunkoIfurita
06-03-2005, 02:33 AM
Besides the points already mentioned, one of the reasons the P40 was considered an 'underdog' was because of its reputation of being a pilot killer.

Like the Brewster Buffalo, the P40 could be pushed into a violent snap roll by an inexperienced pilot, and it was very, very difficult to recover from the resulting flat spin.

This is replicated in the sim, to some extent - I remember it was the p40 and the i16 that really used to get me in the early days before I learned there was more to the game than the horizontal bank n turn.

There were many pilots who'd get very uncomfortable in anything BUT the p40. And just ask the Finns about the Buffalo http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

----

PBNA-Boosher
06-03-2005, 05:32 AM
I prefer the P-40, all versions, but mostly the C or E. It looks better with a Sharkmouth, and all hell breaks loose when it dives on you.

geetarman
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
In the game (as in real life) the P-51 is one of the top five planes in the game. The P-40 is not.

PBNA-Boosher
06-03-2005, 10:16 AM
The P-51 is only one of the top five planes in the game because people use it often. It's easier to get kills in it against later war fighters because it is faster.

The P-40 may be more work to get kills with, but I assure you if used properly it is just as good.

fordfan25
06-03-2005, 11:47 AM
p-51. seeing as ever tom and hairy is eather flyn a la-7 or a ki84 online i think factoring in tuen rate is a waist. speed is #1 for me. that not only includes the fighters top speed but also how long the engien can maintain that speed with out over heating. sure a p-40 can out turn a 51 but the deffernce between the two is not enough to let it hang with a la-7,ki84, or yak. pluse it does not have a chance at out running them.

tigertalon
06-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by fordfan25:
speed is #1 for me.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LStarosta
06-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
The P-51 is only one of the top five planes in the game because people use it often. It's easier to get kills in it against later war fighters because it is faster.

The P-40 may be more work to get kills with, but I assure you if used properly it is just as good.

I disagree. In down low turn and burn fights it may be, but as soon as you're at any significant altitude the P51 can fly circles around the P40.

VW-IceFire
06-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Snuffly:
These are my favorite planes... unfortunately, today, i didnt have a good flying day, or perhaps it was the server. I wont mention the server because its a good server but anyways...
(5 on blue team and 2 on red, I managed to shoot 3 planes down in one hour, but what do u expect when u got la's and yak's all over ur 6?)

These planes are the OPPOSITE
P-40... Slow-average speed
Very maneuverable
Rough and Tuff

P-51... Fast-Super fast
low-average maneuverablility (unless ur real hi.
One engine shot = oh sheet i gotta bail!

Now in the begining all I flew was a P-40M and I got good in it.

Then I started to fly the P-51. ( i wont go into that, took me ages just to learn how to handle it right.) But I shot down a decent amount of planes.

So which plane would you use, if u had a choice to learn how to use... in the 4.0

I'm thinkin the P-40, cuz if u aint got speed u got a turn, but in some cases that wont matter, (friggin "la's" from hell)
But there is always a way out.
While I like the P-40...the P-51 is where its at. Fast, manuverable at speed, most sophisticated gunnery options (D-20), excellent zoom climb. Its the planet to beat...but ironically one of the least well flown.

Snuffly
06-03-2005, 09:52 PM
thank u all for your comments, i feel i will stay with the P-40...

Anyplane can be a killer if its used right.

~S~

fordfan25
06-03-2005, 10:29 PM
iv been puting some thought into this. IMO im going to try and build up my skills in the F4-uD. resone down low its not much slower than a p-51 how ever it is MUCH better in a dog fight. also it can take more hits and cares a higher ammo load. it makes for a better diver to seeing as you dont have to worry about riping off the wings. i just hope we see a reduction in the over heating with the double wasp.

geetarman
06-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

Sorry - we'll have to agree to disagree. The P-51 is a great fighter in this game and in real-life. The 40 is ok if you want to TNB against later 109's at 200', generally speaking.

PBNA-Boosher
06-04-2005, 02:26 PM
TnB against 109's? This is a no-no.

You do not TnB in the P-40. It gets you killed. The P-40 is a die hard BnZ airplane, especially the E and M versions with six .50 cal guns. The others, 40B and 40C, are not armed as well, but start fires better.

I agree that the P-51 is an excellent fighter, no doubt.

However, just because many people don't put in the appropriate amount of time into learning an airplane's personality doesn't mean it's a bad fighter, it just means it's not understood well.

AerialTarget
06-04-2005, 07:03 PM
I don't know. I find it to be moderately effective at my personal combination of boom and zoom and turn and burn. The best airplane for my personal style is the Me-109 G-2, but the P-40 E is a close second. I turn and burn in the P-40 E with most Messershmitts, although I usually start out with energy fighting tactics.

My style is a bit unimpressive. I start out with boom and zooming, but if I see an opportunity to get on someone's tail, I sacrifice my energy to take it.

Unfortunately, I cannot effectively use either this style, nor pure boom and zoom, nor turn and burn with my favorite airplane, the P-38. But the P-40 E is decent at all of them. The only airplane that I know I cannot beat is the La-7.