PDA

View Full Version : SHIII Crashes

StabJG51_Erich
05-20-2006, 02:28 PM
hello All,this is my first problem with SHIII,Ive built a new machine and have moved in all well,But when SHIII loads to the initalization screen it crashes to desktop,,Ive tryed no mods and patched to 1.4 ,,My new machine specs are as follows

Athelon 3800+ dual core processor
Abit KN8SLI MB
Diamond extreme sound sound card
Saphire x800 GTO Radeon vid card 256 mb
2 GB Corsair ram
2 Seagate barracuda hard drives (120 Gig each)
Antech 550 pure power power supply
Thermaltake case with 5 fans

Like ive said it ran fine on my old machine with the old 2.4 hz processor, Any Help would be much appreciated !!

Cheers and Gute Jagd !!

VikingGrandad
05-20-2006, 02:44 PM
So SH3 is crashing when it first loads up? How far does the loading bar get? Are you using SH3 Commander?

I had a similar problem recently. The game crashed as the loading bar reached around 30-40%. I solved it by doing a 'Rollback' in SH3 Commander, then deleting my main.cfg file (which stores basic game settings). You can find your main.cfg file here:

My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\main.cfg

When SH3 starts, it will create a new main.cfg file with the default settings, so you will need to set your options for sound, video, language etc if/when the game loads properly. Don't worry, your career files will still work.

If you don't want to risk deleting your main.cfg (after all, your problem might not be the same as mine) then simply move it to your desktop temporarily, so you can put it back if necessary.

StabJG51_Erich
05-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok Viking,It goes to the Initallization screen which is just prior to game launch,Then it crashes? I just start to see the gauges starting to show,,then BOOM to desktop we go ??

VikingGrandad
05-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Hmmmm... that's a different problem, as your game is crashing when you start a new patrol or load a saved patrol - mine was crashing when the game itself first loads.

I have had your problem too (crashing just when the dials started to appear on screen). For me it was because of some mods I had installed which messed up when I uninstalled them. Luckily, I was able to find the problem files in the data folder and sort it out.

Because you don't have mods installed, I would suggest repairing your SH3 installation. Open up the DVD so it gives you the installation screen, then click 'install'. The installer program will do a couple of checks and see that you already have the game installed. It will then present you with a menu from which you can select 'repair'. This will put all the original game files back, so you will need to run the 1.4b patch again afterwards.

If this doesn't work, try re-installing. Use the installer to remove the game, then physically delete the 'SilentHunterIII' folder in your 'Program Files' folder (if it's still there), just to make sure there are no dodgy files left. Then install the game from the DVD and apply the 1.4b patch.

Note that repairing or re-installing will not remove your career files, which are in your My Documents\SH3 folder (perhaps back this foleder up if you are worried). From memory, I think 'Un-install' might ask you if you want to delete your career files, so obviously choose to keep them unless you are happy to lose your old career and start a new one).

Good luck with it!

StabJG51_Erich
05-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Right then,,I shall give that a whirl,,,Cheers mate !! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

frog7
05-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi..if your os is WindowsXP64 Pro then u will have problems....allso just for intrest did u go for a PCI-E Card?

StabJG51_Erich
05-21-2006, 09:51 PM
Got it Finally!!! Yes frog7 ,I do indeed have xp pro installed with service pack 2,I got the latest drivers for my new vid card,and installed em,,But I followed Vikinggranddads thought,,I did a repair instead of uninstall,Now the darned thing works great !!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif,,many thanks to the Viking from a greatfull soon to be at sea kaleun !! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gifOH and yes my vid card is PCI express,,

VikingGrandad
05-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Glad you got it fixed. Now the fun begins! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif