PDA

View Full Version : Aces' Artwork: MAT-Manager - Italian National Markings help please

Aces_High_2
02-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi all,

With the introduction of the new Italian aircraft in the latest patch it is now possible to do something about adding proper weathered Italian markings, something that I've wanted to be able to do for a very long time.

First be aware of the following limitations:

1. There are only two Italian MAT files and therefore markings graphics used ny the game. The first of these is used by all aircraft EXCEPT the new MC200/202/205 which uses the second MAt/graphic.

2. Sadly the Fiat CR42 and G50s don't use any as the markings are only on the skin.

3. Also please be aware that I cannot do tail markings, fuselage bands etc. only substitute markings for the national insignia where it currently appears on the skin.

Therefore I have added a new Italian national markings drop-down box to the latest IL2-MAT Manager v2.34 beta with the following minimum options.

Weathered, un-weathered (default), disabled and user-defined.

Now the question:

Both of the in-game graphics used are the round type with no white background. I have seen this with a white background and also the square versions. I can do "sets" of options like, for instance, the different german options for different years using combinations of these two graphics. As I'm extremely busy with RL right now and time is at a premium I need your help in suggesting these options with information and examples of these markings.

I'm also working on at least one other addition to v2.34 in addition to those other new features posted in a previous posting. I'm hoping to incorporate the new Italian markings option over this weekend as this is the only real time that I have available and even then I have other concerns on my time so please respond ASAP.

Best regards

Aces

PS. I should add that the upper-wing and under-eing roundels are always the same eg. it isn't possible to mix styles what is possible is to have different roundels on the MC200/202/205 aircraft from those displayed on all other aircfat types.

Aces_High_2
02-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Hi all,

With the introduction of the new Italian aircraft in the latest patch it is now possible to do something about adding proper weathered Italian markings, something that I've wanted to be able to do for a very long time.

First be aware of the following limitations:

1. There are only two Italian MAT files and therefore markings graphics used ny the game. The first of these is used by all aircraft EXCEPT the new MC200/202/205 which uses the second MAt/graphic.

2. Sadly the Fiat CR42 and G50s don't use any as the markings are only on the skin.

3. Also please be aware that I cannot do tail markings, fuselage bands etc. only substitute markings for the national insignia where it currently appears on the skin.

Therefore I have added a new Italian national markings drop-down box to the latest IL2-MAT Manager v2.34 beta with the following minimum options.

Weathered, un-weathered (default), disabled and user-defined.

Now the question:

Both of the in-game graphics used are the round type with no white background. I have seen this with a white background and also the square versions. I can do "sets" of options like, for instance, the different german options for different years using combinations of these two graphics. As I'm extremely busy with RL right now and time is at a premium I need your help in suggesting these options with information and examples of these markings.

I'm also working on at least one other addition to v2.34 in addition to those other new features posted in a previous posting. I'm hoping to incorporate the new Italian markings option over this weekend as this is the only real time that I have available and even then I have other concerns on my time so please respond ASAP.

Best regards

Aces

PS. I should add that the upper-wing and under-eing roundels are always the same eg. it isn't possible to mix styles what is possible is to have different roundels on the MC200/202/205 aircraft from those displayed on all other aircfat types.

Aces_High_2
02-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Hi chaps,

What a Nightmare http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Now I rememeber why I hate the game's Italian markings so much !!.

I was mistaken in believing that they had fixed them. What has alway been the problem is that all aircraft use a MAT file which only displays on the top wing and not under-wing and, to make matters worse, the Fasci are not mirrored on left and right wings as they should be.

Ironically the new Italian aircraft added in the latest patch have it correct and use a new MAT file/graphic. One wing uses the original MAT file and the other uses the new one.

When I saw this I thought "Yes" they've fixed both problems but unfortunately only the new aircraft use both MAT files and in both upper and under-wing positions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I can still do a few things but, like the old RAF under-wing and fuselage sharing one MAT file problem, it's impossible to really get correct Italian markings.

That's why after this update is released I'm calling it quits with MAT Manager and concentrating my efforts with Grat on the next generation program as I can do no more and cannot fix these issues only 1C can do that. It really does annoy me every time I see wrong markings that are out of my behest to fix although I know exactly how they could be fixed by 1C. In the case of the Italian marking as an example have all aircraft use both MATs as per the new ones although the left/right wing wy of doing things could be better with 4 MATs, upper/lower/left/right in which case I could do different under-wing markings as used on the Italian Stukas. Well we can only dream can't we http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Cheers and regards

Aces

SeaFireLIV
02-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Gah. Sorry to hear that - Really, Oleg should follow your efforts and support it with any code changes to the main FB sim. Stuff like this doesn`t fall off trees! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

Aces_High_2
02-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi m8,

Well there comes a time when there's not much more that I can do. I did just send Oleg a quick e-mail explaining such things as the Italian markings errors, the RAF markings errors (shared under-wing and fuselgae roundel) and the desirability of having 3 MAT files for all Luftwaffe fighters so that correct marking could be done.

I fear that we will never see these as, quite properly, his guys are working on BoB and patches for PF etc. but who knows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. I though that we'd never see the regiment code thing corrected which allowed us to do so much with LW bombers and twin-enginned fighters and of course other nationalities such as the RAF and USAAF coding. I also thought we'd never get the ClearCache thing and we did so I suppose I'm the eternal optimist at heart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Just hate to see wrong markings every time I use the game, it just erks me.

Cheers and regards

Leigh