PDA

View Full Version : Best Quality of picture

gdfo
06-22-2008, 05:34 AM
OK the new ATI Radeon 4000 series are being release and soon to include the 5870 2x card.

The 2x means there are 2 processors on the card eliminating the need for a crossfire set up.

Is it true that the radeon cards give the best quality of picture appearance but the current NV card give better performance?

Really what I am looking for here are educated opinions and good information. NO product bashing please.

Basically which set up gives the best overall quality of viewing picture and lets include other applications also. Movies and photos.

Falcke
06-22-2008, 06:42 AM
I would wait a little till we know what the 4000 series is capable of, and how it would compare to the GTX 200 series with proper drivers.

It's hard to say what you should go with now. But it's likely that nvidia is going to give more performance but AMD's going to come at a more reasonable price.

gdfo
06-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Quality of picture viewed.

The reviews for the Radeon 4000 series are VERY good.

The new gtx 260 is about $599.00 us. (too much)

Quality is Depth of field, clarity, color depth and accuracy of color, and picture detail.

Ollivaan
06-22-2008, 09:26 AM
new 4000-series have a awesome bang-for-buck ratio. I would choose them over Nvidia cards

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-22-2008, 09:27 AM
It has long been the general consensus that ATI had better image quality while nvidia was slightly faster. This is still the case but the gap is not as far as it used to be and may change with the gtx 200's and the 4800's, we don't know yet. These things can cgange from generation to generation. It used to be considered that nvidia sufferd when using AA and ATI could do AA with ease, that is no longer the case with the 8800's and 3800's, nvidia can kill ati on AA.

Stiletto-
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
I got a Radeon 3870X2 in February and that was a great bang for the buck, it has the dual processors like a crossfire setup, although if your wee wee is that small you can put another one in for essential quad-fire. The price has gone down to about $350.00 and it can compete with the much more expensive nvidia cards in performance. Running games at 1920x1200 with 8x FSAA is no problem, most games I get between 100-200 fps but I believe any good card with 2 GPU's should be able to. If you plan to run at extremely high resolutions and tons of FSAA, you probably wont notice the slight image quality edge that one card has over the other, as both will just look amazing when running full stop. My advice would be to go for the best bang for the buck, as long as you can run max graphic detail settings in all your games, it will look good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

staticline1
06-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
nvidia can kill ati on AA.

Historically true but it seems ATI fixed the AA problem with their new cards. The 4850 pimp slaps the 9800GTX with 8xAA on, especially at higher resolutions. The only thing I'm curious about now is how well will the newer cards play this sim as we have seen both companies cards have problems though most of that resides in the ATI camp. Guess we will have to wait for someone to be the guine pig for the rest of us.

gdfo
06-22-2008, 01:38 PM
What problems do people have with 1946 and the ATI cards?

WOLFMondo
06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
It has long been the general consensus that ATI had better image quality while nvidia was slightly faster.

Right now theres no difference in it. Driver support is where its at and Nvidia don't do very well at that presently.

staticline1
06-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by gdfo:
What problems do people have with 1946 and the ATI cards?

Artifacts and image tearing. Not sure if the latest drivers have fixed it, maybe someone with a 38xx card and one of the latest catalyst drivers can say one way or another.

gdfo
06-23-2008, 03:44 AM
OK do you need a crossfire MB to run either the Radeon 3870 2x or the 4870 2x ? I only plan to buy one card and that is the reason for the '2x'.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by gdfo:
OK do you need a crossfire MB to run either the Radeon 3870 2x or the 4870 2x ? I only plan to buy one card and that is the reason for the '2x'.

No need for crossfire mobo, should work on any mobo.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Decide what level of IQ you want and select the best card/price that fits your requirements. I know that sounds like a copout, but until more games come out that push these next-gen cards, it really doesn't matter which one you choose.

I'd go for a GTX280 myself, but I've used NV for the last 5 years or so and have had no real problems at all.

Stiletto-
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes, there is some weird texture coruption with my ATI 3870X2 on a few of the maps.. Some of the green grass terrain appears as invisible or white, or with a bluesh tint where it fades to a normal looking greenish texture. A total immersion killer until you get high enough where the texture LOD fades out into a smaller one which looks normal, fortunatley it is only on a few maps. I have not tried the latest catalyst drivers with IL2, but I figure it would probably be the same.

Stiletto-
06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
As far as as these 2x boards with 2 GPU's, no you don't need a SLI board, (you can infact run them in sli though which would make 4 GPU's of power) as Shinjiro stated but you are still running 2 GPU's so you need a really hefty power supply or the card won't run properly.

Jaggy.
06-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Nvidia is slashing prices on their cards, details here (http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=20586)