PDA

View Full Version : Storm of War's interior cockpit view will have a pilot model

Mysticpuma2003
11-23-2009, 05:10 AM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/s...d.php?t=11131&page=9 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=11131&page=9)

Choctaw111
11-23-2009, 09:49 AM
So it says.
"Limited animations" can mean so many things.
I am not sure that Oleg knows the meaning of "limited" as he always goes all out.

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/s...d.php?t=11131&page=9 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=11131&page=9)

I don't interpret that as having a pilot in the cockpit, esp. since he has said before that this will not happen except by third party. I think he was saying "there will be limited animations so this is out of the scope, oh and no blood".

Waldo.Pepper
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I too want a pilot - not a ghostly presence. Ideally I want the option for a pilot. That way everyone would be happy.

major_setback
11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Oleg said before on one of those screenshot threads that there is a problem with the joystick 'cutting' into the pilot's leg when the stick is moved sideways, and if I remember rightly also with the visibility of some dials past the legs/hands.

I would personally doubt if Oleg would include the pilot in the final relaease unless (until) animations are to his satisfaction. He knows he would get endless requests to "fix it" if something was "wrong".

It's something I look forward to though.

Bearcat99
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I think thats kind of hokey myself.. to each his own.. if it is there I hope it can be turned off...

ElAurens
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
A big plus one to what Bearcat said.

Gibbage1
11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
We have tried this in FSX, were the animation system does allow for it, and everyone turns it off. It just gets in the way. In many cases, like my recent P-38 add-on for FSX, we even give people the option to turn off the yoke as it also gets in the way of the panel and some switches.

Player_43
11-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't think that the presence of a pilot in the cockpit (inside views) would dramaticly increase the immersion factor and the problems related to the modelling of hand movements when using switches, stick, etc ...) would be too chalanging I guess for a flight simulator.

The only regret I have is for the the movie makers. They will have to model the pilots themselves if they want realistic inside views.

ScarsdaleJack
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Player_43:
I don't think that the presence of a pilot in the cockpit (inside views) would dramaticly increase the immersion factor and the problems related to the modelling of hand movements when using switches, stick, etc ...) would be too chalanging I guess for a flight simulator.

The only regret I have is for the the movie makers. They will have to model the pilots themselves if they want realistic inside views.

They will simply put the camera close to the cockpit if they want the pilot in the shot of the interior view.

In Il2, if you are clever, you can put the camera on one aircraft and look straight into another aircraft's interior, in a track

A pilot's body inside the cockpit while the player's view is also in the 'pit will be a novelty that soon wears off. It will be wasted effort

It would be relatively simple to show the pilot model for an inside shot, while a track plays, though- if they care to put a little thought into it

Freiwillige
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree Oleg isnt going to do it and this quote is taken out of context.

I disagree that it is a bad idea. The Ghost pit has long been an immersion killer for many of us. And considering the future is track ir orientated I dont think that moving your view over your leg to see a guage is that big of a deal. I for one look forward to a detailed fully moving pilot model. After all with all the shadows and cockpit immersion going on seeing a real breathing moving pilot would be the cats meow and leave room to model things pilot oriented such as fatigue wounds, etc.

It aint gonna happen but I for one am all for it.

stalkervision
11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:

I disagree that it is a bad idea. The Ghost pit has long been an immersion killer for many of us. And considering the future is track ir orientated I dont think that moving your view over your leg to see a guage is that big of a deal. I for one look forward to a detailed fully moving pilot model. After all with all the shadows and cockpit immersion going on seeing a real breathing moving pilot would be the cats meow and leave room to model things pilot oriented such as fatigue wounds, etc.

"The ghost pit" good for a Halloween tale.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

JG52Uther
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:

+1

VW-IceFire
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I wonder if he means limited animations for the pilot looking in from the external view. There is already the head turning but you could do a little bit more with that including bail out animations.

Gibbage1
11-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Or the pilots hands moving with the yoke/stick? We do that in FSX, and its not very hard. A lot of aircraft in IL2 dont even have control sticks in the external model.

Stiletto-
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
in the racing sim communuity, there are a plethora of opinions on having the drivers body in the cockpit. It is generally split up in opinions pretty evenly.

The simbin games now come with the options of having the drivers arms and legs, invisible (like IL2) and the option of no steering wheel at all. The argument for no arms or wheel is that you have a wheel and your own arms in front of you, why would you need 4 arms and 2 wheels to look at?

Personally I see the monitor as if a window pane. Where my controllers and hands are out of this line of sight, I prefer to see the virtual driver or pilot in control of his machine, it adds immersion for me.

Doesn't Lock-On have the pilots arms and hands in there? What are the opinions on that?

orville07
11-25-2009, 03:21 AM
DCS:Black Shark has the option of "toggling" this feature on/off. Its no big deal to me, I like it on in DCS (a Heli sim where you obviously have much more time to look around) but agree with Bear in that its not a matter of massive importance.

In a close up knife fight you will not be looking down there anyway lol. It works in DCS due to the general nature of that kind of combat (usually at range, mostly BVR if you don't want to get killed).

I would much prefer clickable cockpits, but Oleg has already stated its a no-no (at least for now) due to a community poll done which I missed. Personally I would like a detailed start up sequence and feel this would add to immersion (yes I'm one of those geeks lol). Imagine a low level base attack when you are desperately trying to scramble, start up magnetos etc and the engine won't kick in!

Not for everybody I understand, which is why it could be configurable. High fidelity and detail is the way to go, DCS have shown the way. Nothing more immersive than feeling you are in complete control of everything, and seeing it happen in the virtual world.

Yes, I have heard all the counter arguments on this, its just something I personally would like http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

wheelsup_cavu
11-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I think it is something I would like to see in a track but not when I was flying.
The track would need to record the pilot model like it was there but you could switch it off for the flying and on for the track when you viewed it later.

Wheels