PDA

View Full Version : Zero€¦ What€s it like to fly



MrBlueSky1960
03-03-2006, 05:34 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Amended post... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/AircraftImages01/Zero00.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/AircraftImages01/Zero01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/AircraftImages01/Zero01a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/AircraftImages01/Zero02a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/AircraftImages01/Zero02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Secudus/AircraftImages01/Zero03.jpg

jds1978
03-03-2006, 05:56 AM
awesome..i need to get a subscription to this magazine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Krizz1972
03-03-2006, 06:04 AM
where is page 86-87? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

R988z
03-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Nice article, it would be great to see that level of engine management available in BoB.

cmw1980
03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Thats great. Thanks for showing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MrBlueSky1960
03-03-2006, 06:11 AM
where is page 86-87?

See now this is what happens when you get interupted... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif Bloody customers, I've got more important things to do than give them estimates... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

FlatSpinMan
03-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Interesting to read. Thanks a lot.

Ernst_Rohr
03-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Very cool read, thanks for posting!

Treetop64
03-03-2006, 09:17 AM
It's miraculous that after 47 years of rotting in New Guinea, the aircraft was still retrieved and restored into flying condition! It's always great to see these old warbirds flying, and they all sound absolutely fantastic! If any of you have never seen these machines in action at an airshow, you need to do everything you can to make it happen.

Stigler_9_JG52
03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've always wanted a "modern test ride" on this particular plane....

Couple things I instantly found interesting:

1) how the author mentions needing down trim as speed builds up to keep the nose from rising...something I've found to be a distinguishing feature of my favorite virtual Zero...but, alas, not the one in IL-2...

2) and how the Zero has NO tendency to snap or drop wings, unlike the IL-2 Zero which has your ball flapping all over unless you marshall it with [unnecessary] rudder input at all times to keep it centered.

Saunders1953
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
1) how the author mentions needing down trim as speed builds up to keep the nose from rising...something I've found to be a distinguishing feature of my favorite virtual Zero...but, alas, not the one in IL-2...

2) and how the Zero has NO tendency to snap or drop wings, unlike the IL-2 Zero which has your ball flapping all over unless you marshall it with [unnecessary] rudder input at all times to keep it centered.

Stigler, really? I find just the opposite on both counts. Not much down trim needed, but my nose does tend to creep upward as speeds increase. But except for minor "swayage" when I'm lining up a shot, I find the IL2 Zeroes to be very stable. Am I just living right (for a change) or something? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ddsflyer
03-03-2006, 12:22 PM
As I recall, the only original engined A6M(5) flying today belongs to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California. All other flying Zeros, (there are 4) have either Pratt or Wright engines in them and therefore are not truly original.

LameDuck.
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Here's another one on the Zero:
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/185354-1.html

(Nice Baron, dds)

Marak117
03-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Great article, stuff like this really helps build an idea about a planes character.

I do have one or two questions though. If this is an M3, why is it fitted with the rounded wing tips?

Was the clipped wing something that was introduced during the production cycle?

Anyone got any ideas?

Stigler_9_JG52
03-03-2006, 03:56 PM
"Not much trim"... that's the operative thing.

In "my favorite virtual Zero" you need quite a bit. I use half the available elevator trim for normal speed maneuvering (and even climb out), and even more to keep it in an extended dive. I only use up elevator (or back to 0 detente) for very low speed loops and for landing (where it's nice to have a natural nose up tendency.

As for the rudder, the IL-2 Zero is fairly stable in a turn...but what drives me nuts is how the rudder lolls from one side to the other by itself if you don't watch it...and when you're doing those patented Zero stall turns...and you're on one wing, throttling back and getting ready to roll and dive in, that's when Oleg's "canned" snap stalls put you into a stupid spin. Zero just didn't do that.

HayateAce
03-03-2006, 04:28 PM
From 120 - 278 kph the ailerons have great roll authority;from 278 - 380 kts they have roll request; above 388 kph the ailerons are just along for the ride, as they are practically frozen and a fast roll cannot be performed....accelerating to 388 kph and above, he pitch forces grow very heavy, much like those on the ailerons.

mortoma
03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
"Not much trim"... that's the operative thing.

In "my favorite virtual Zero" you need quite a bit. I use half the available elevator trim for normal speed maneuvering (and even climb out), and even more to keep it in an extended dive. I only use up elevator (or back to 0 detente) for very low speed loops and for landing (where it's nice to have a natural nose up tendency.

As for the rudder, the IL-2 Zero is fairly stable in a turn...but what drives me nuts is how the rudder lolls from one side to the other by itself if you don't watch it...and when you're doing those patented Zero stall turns...and you're on one wing, throttling back and getting ready to roll and dive in, that's when Oleg's "canned" snap stalls put you into a stupid spin. Zero just didn't do that. Stigler, if you don't like the IL2 series all that much, why are you here and why do you still fly the sim?? All you do is complain on and on about the FM and other things while making it clear you like another sim better. At least you're not mentioning it by name any more, a slight improvement. Although I will admit that Oleg's stalls are a bit contrived and the characteristics are similar on virtually all aircraft in the sim. I real life, different types of planes have vastly different stall characteristics from one to the other. In this sim, the speeds that stalls occur at may vary ( thank God !! ) but the type of stall and the "feel" is nearly identical in all aircraft.

Stigler_9_JG52
03-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I post because I bought the game just like you, thank you very much, and I'll say what I want about it.

The flight modeling stinks on ICE, and with the system still in development (BoB), there's still a chance for change. So, I'll continue to call Oleg on the deficiencies of the modeling, especially in comparison to real life accounts and flight tests like this one.

You want me to shut up? Get on Oleg's back to improve his sim; once the planes can hit the numbers with some degree of reliability, and the physics seem like Earth rather than Mars, and the weapons lose their nuclear abilities...well, after all that, we might have a decent little sim on our hands... right now, all we have is purty pictures and nice cockpits.

Most of the folks here can't tell the difference.

Gibbage1
03-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I love how people will pick appart any pilot description to find what they want or dont want.

Stigler_9_JG52
03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
...not as much as I "love" how people will defend crappy modeling like it's manna. And then jump on the backs of people who point out rather obvious problems...

ReligiousZealot
03-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Very cool post! Glad to read some stuff on flying the warbirds, seems far and few between these days. Thanks for the scans though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Xiolablu3
03-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've always wanted a "modern test ride" on this particular plane....

Couple things I instantly found interesting:

1) how the author mentions needing down trim as speed builds up to keep the nose from rising...something I've found to be a distinguishing feature of my favorite virtual Zero...but, alas, not the one in IL-2...

2) and how the Zero has NO tendency to snap or drop wings, unlike the IL-2 Zero which has your ball flapping all over unless you marshall it with [unnecessary] rudder input at all times to keep it centered.

Thats really strange, I disagree on both counts.

The nose keeps rising as the speed increases for me in Il2.

Also it is almost impossible to stall it, and I hardly ever use rudder to fly it, unless I need extra roll speed.

Are we flying the same plane? I love the Il2 model of the Zero. Amazing turner and simple to fly, but made of rice paper. Just like the real life Zero.

Of course I am talking the early Zeros, 1941-42, not the later heavy ones with armour plus 4 cannon.

joeap
03-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Agree 110% with Xiolablu3

Feathered_IV
03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Me too.
Particularly about the issue of down-trim at high speeds. Not five minutes ago I was flying the A6M2 online and musing over how much trim I had to apply while diving on an opponent. Then I come in here and read claims to the complete opposite. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

joeap
03-04-2006, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Me too.
Particularly about the issue of down-trim at high speeds. Not five minutes ago I was flying the A6M2 online and musing over how much trim I had to apply while diving on an opponent. Then I come in here and read claims to the complete opposite. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Don't forget the source of the claim. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jetbuff
03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Nice post.

Stig, we're still not going to fly Targetware; just because you think it has a better FM doesn't make it so. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

heywooood
03-04-2006, 10:24 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

GR142-Pipper
03-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
"Not much trim"... that's the operative thing.

In "my favorite virtual Zero" you need quite a bit. I use half the available elevator trim for normal speed maneuvering (and even climb out), and even more to keep it in an extended dive. I only use up elevator (or back to 0 detente) for very low speed loops and for landing (where it's nice to have a natural nose up tendency.

As for the rudder, the IL-2 Zero is fairly stable in a turn...but what drives me nuts is how the rudder lolls from one side to the other by itself if you don't watch it...and when you're doing those patented Zero stall turns...and you're on one wing, throttling back and getting ready to roll and dive in, that's when Oleg's "canned" snap stalls put you into a stupid spin. Zero just didn't do that. Stigler, if you don't like the IL2 series all that much, why are you here and why do you still fly the sim?? All you do is complain on and on about the FM and other things while making it clear you like another sim better. At least you're not mentioning it by name any more, a slight improvement. Although I will admit that Oleg's stalls are a bit contrived and the characteristics are similar on virtually all aircraft in the sim. I real life, different types of planes have vastly different stall characteristics from one to the other. In this sim, the speeds that stalls occur at may vary ( thank God !! ) but the type of stall and the "feel" is nearly identical in all aircraft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mortoma, all the guy is saying is that the game version of the Zero differs from how the aircraft flew in real life. That's a perfectly legitimate thing to discuss, no?

GR142-Pipper

AKA_TAGERT
03-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ddsflyer:
As I recall, the only original engined A6M(5) flying today belongs to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California. All other flying Zeros, (there are 4) have either Pratt or Wright engines in them and therefore are not truly original. true

Professor_06
03-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ddsflyer:
As I recall, the only original engined A6M(5) flying today belongs to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California. All other flying Zeros, (there are 4) have either Pratt or Wright engines in them and therefore are not truly original. true </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the designers of the Japanese Zero "borrowed" (under license) the design of the P&W rad engine.