PDA

View Full Version : when rigged for red light on the sub....

bootysnapper69
10-19-2004, 02:28 PM
when rigged for red light on the sub....

will the men modeled in the control room/sub wear the red light goggles?

bootysnapper69
10-19-2004, 02:28 PM
when rigged for red light on the sub....

will the men modeled in the control room/sub wear the red light goggles?

HeibgesU999
10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
only if they are about to go on watch.

Leif...
10-20-2004, 01:43 AM
I hope not, if they already have switched over to red light there is no need for the goggles.

Leif€¦

Sockeye45
10-20-2004, 03:25 AM
I thought I saw in Das Boot that the sub was rigged for red, and the watch still had their goggles on. Realistic? I don't know if the red lights would be good enough to get fast night adapted vision: are the goggles a darker red than the lights? I dunno...

Kinda off topic now: With Silent Hunter 1, I usually played at night, and the light from the computer screen would really get to my own eyes if the room was dark around me, so I was usually rigged for red no matter day or night on my own account. Nevermind the crew http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Think we'll have the option to switch to white/red lights ourselves? Was that available in SH2?

Cheers

julien673
10-20-2004, 04:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Think we'll have the option to switch to white/red lights ourselves? Was that available in SH2?

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

lonewulf44
10-20-2004, 05:45 AM
Good, I always like to rig for red as well. The red light just gives off a lot of effect.

E.Thang
10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
The whole point of rigging for red is so your eyes will be ready if you have to go topside. Goggles wouldn't be needed.

hauitsme
10-20-2004, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by E.Thang:
The whole point of rigging for red is so your eyes will be ready if you have to go topside. Goggles wouldn't be needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wrong! It's to NOT be seen at night. If not 'rigged for red', every time the hatch is opened a bright beam of light would 'blast forth' like a beacon saying 'Here I am!'.

jeroen-79
10-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Actually, using red lights or red goggles is meant to preserve the nightvision of those who are to go outside.

The human eye has two types of cells in it's retina: Rods and cones.

The cones come in three flavours: Red, green and blue and each is sensitive to light of it's respective colour.
Cones aren't very sensitive and less numerous as the rods, they are concentrated mostly in the yellow spot.

The rods are very sensitive and more numerous than the cones, you can find them throughout the retina.
Rods are most sensitive to blue and least sensitive to red.
At night you mostly see with your rods.

The retina adapts to the intensity of the light, with high levels of light few cells are acive and with low levels of light many cells are active.

As mentioned, the rods respond most to blue light.
If you are in a brightly lit room and you are wearing red goggles then the goggles will block all the blue light.
Thus, even though you are seeing lots of light your rods will believe that it is dark because no blue light enters the eye.

When you go out you go out with your rods already thinking it is dark.
While your cones may still believe that it was very bright they don't matter much at night.

Rigging for red is a roomwide measure to preserve nightvision and goggles are a personal measure.

Red light would still 'blast forth' and if you keep the light low in the conning tower then light from the zentrale would reach very far out.

E.Thang
10-20-2004, 11:41 AM
You would only 'rig for red' as the American's would say for surface night attacks, obviously you wouldn't for a daylight run!

GertFroebe
10-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Redlight doen't reach very far (because of the wave lenght). It is less visible from the distance. So it is necassary to turn on red light with open hatch at night.
Don't forget that uboat were painted almost white from the inside (elfenbeinfarben / ivory color). So white light would spread out of the hatch very easyly.

HeibgesU999
10-20-2004, 01:41 PM
During a night attack both the control room and the conning tower were COMPLETELY BLACKED OUT. Otherwise light, even red light, would show through the periscope when it is raised.

Drebbel
10-20-2004, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
During a night attack both the control room and the conning tower were COMPLETELY BLACKED OUT. Otherwise light, even red light, would show through the periscope when it is raised. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But remember that when it was not night the attack scope would probably have been used. And that one is located in the conning tower. Any idea if in those cases the controlroom was also blacked out ?