PDA

View Full Version : how to FLANK speed into port half alseep

reumatiib
04-23-2005, 01:40 AM
No doubt the old timers know this, but I still read newbies who cry about coming into home port, especially at night. Well, here is a simple way to do it safely and at FLANK: When you start your mission, before you even begin to move your u-boat at all, first go to your map and magnify it to the max. Place a little red X in the middle of your u-boat with your handy pencil tool. Then as your boat leaves the docks on its way out, place little pencil Xs along the path leading straight into the dock. Then as you make your first turns be sure and add Xs marking out 2 to 3 points in the curve of that turn. Then add Xs where your ship exits the port area and Xs where it makes it's turns that lead to open sea.

On the way into port, even if it is stormy with heavy fog or a dark night, all you do is place waypoints on each of the little Xs. Then set your speed to Flank and only wake up before you actually reach the docking area, so that you can reduce speed or reverse engines and bring her to a sudden stop.

Once this is done you can zip into port and instead of watching your boat's heading, you can busy yourself with free-looking down the streets of the city, seeing all the u-boat posters on the walls, the *****s in the red light district and so forth.

reumatiib
04-23-2005, 01:40 AM
No doubt the old timers know this, but I still read newbies who cry about coming into home port, especially at night. Well, here is a simple way to do it safely and at FLANK: When you start your mission, before you even begin to move your u-boat at all, first go to your map and magnify it to the max. Place a little red X in the middle of your u-boat with your handy pencil tool. Then as your boat leaves the docks on its way out, place little pencil Xs along the path leading straight into the dock. Then as you make your first turns be sure and add Xs marking out 2 to 3 points in the curve of that turn. Then add Xs where your ship exits the port area and Xs where it makes it's turns that lead to open sea.

On the way into port, even if it is stormy with heavy fog or a dark night, all you do is place waypoints on each of the little Xs. Then set your speed to Flank and only wake up before you actually reach the docking area, so that you can reduce speed or reverse engines and bring her to a sudden stop.

Once this is done you can zip into port and instead of watching your boat's heading, you can busy yourself with free-looking down the streets of the city, seeing all the u-boat posters on the walls, the *****s in the red light district and so forth.

MouseNo47
04-23-2005, 11:57 AM
I use the delete all stuff button too much.

Johnny_JG2
04-23-2005, 12:09 PM
^ Yeah, me 2.

My map gets so cluttered with marks and lines and circles everywhere after a couple engagements, that I usually hit erase all.

Anyway, I finally figured out how to get most of the way thru Kiel, and now I'm in France and my pen is open straight to open water. I love it- Kiel was a pain in the butt.

reumatiib
04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I started my first career from Kiel hoping to get some action in the Baltic. What I got was long journeys to the North ALtantic. I was glad when that sub died and I could start a new career at Wilhelm (is) shaven, I mean Wilhelm's haven.