PDA

View Full Version : p-51 mustang tips

jessi1
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Hello all, looking for tips on mustang flyin, is it best to use combat flaps for turning or when down on deck to prevent from stalling. Also do you all trim the bird alot and if so how much.What are your preferred convergence(thanks icefire for yours mate) and why.What about throttle settings when cruising and please most importantly (pitch,roll,and yaw settings)I have a ch fighterstick usb(not set up yet) and currently using my trusty logitech wingman extreme. Please only serious advice im not trying to start a mustang fw fight. Salute to you all. Looking forward to the patch.

jessi1
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Hello all, looking for tips on mustang flyin, is it best to use combat flaps for turning or when down on deck to prevent from stalling. Also do you all trim the bird alot and if so how much.What are your preferred convergence(thanks icefire for yours mate) and why.What about throttle settings when cruising and please most importantly (pitch,roll,and yaw settings)I have a ch fighterstick usb(not set up yet) and currently using my trusty logitech wingman extreme. Please only serious advice im not trying to start a mustang fw fight. Salute to you all. Looking forward to the patch.

Iron_Hand1
03-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Being a Sair man I don't fly the Mustang much, so I can't help you there. But here's a handy site for those with CH products that may help you setting it up.
http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/

~S~

LStarosta
03-29-2005, 02:35 PM
WTF is a Sair? Of course I think you mean Corsair...

The Mustang handles like you wish the Corsair could...

geetarman
03-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Against a 109 -try to keep the fight at high speeds.

Against a 190 - go in close and don't be afraid to slow the plane a bit.

gates123
03-29-2005, 03:25 PM
25% fuel and 200m convergence. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

BaldieJr
03-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Make sure your hair is in place and your clothes are tidy. Looking good is very important when flying the Worlds Greatest Fighter.

geetarman
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
One more thing - learn ,and I mean really learn, to use the K-14 gunsight in the D20 model!

Snuffly
03-29-2005, 03:51 PM
JESSI I just wrote the biggest page of mustang stuff u could imagine... Then the post didnt work.

Email me at Btrap911@go.com and ask me any question u like!!! cuz im too lazy to rewrite it all!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Benn flying the pony for quite some time now and know lots about it!!!

New_York_Flyer
03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey,

The mustang is a really forgiving bird, but it may take a while to get used to.

I do not suggest turning and burning on the deck, rather I suggest you gain altitude and boom and zoom the enemy.

It is an OK turner, but its an even better boomer and zoomer. The key to success in the Mustang is ENERGY.

Just remember one thing
NEVER ENGAGE WHEN IN THE DISADVANTAGE. ALWAYS WRESTLE THE ENERGY ADVANTAGE FROM THE ENEMY.

The Mustang CAN easily outturn a FW190, but the FW190 can outrun the Mustang. I don't suggest you try to follow it, otherwise you will have the whole luftwaffe on you.

With the BF109, you can outturn it in sustained turnfights, but not instantenous ones. I suggest using the rudder in order to maintain the fights with the 109s.

My convergence is set at 250m, which is a bit far for a few people, but it works fine just for me. I run 50% fuel on DogFight servers. I've been experimenting with 25% fuel and Drop Tanks, but the extra hardpoints add a little more drag to the plane, which isn't good in high energy fights.

The .50 cals are very nice, and they don't usually require much lead to put the bullets on the target.

I do not suggest exeeding 720KPH in a Dive, and trying to pull up because it is suicide. In order to reduce speed, you should reduce the prop-pitch. Prop Pitch in allied fighters is a lot easier to use than in German Fighters.

Defensivly, when fighting a BF109 is to Split-S away. The 109s controls lock up quite easily at high speeds, while the Mustang's controls are fluid (Infact ive noticed at higher speeds, the roll rate is quicker)

I've not yet found a good way to effectivly defend against the FW190, but I try to dive and extend.

Overall the P-51 is an excellent aircraft. Anyone who flys the Mustang will be equipped to fly any energy fighter in IL2.

Moses

VW-IceFire
03-29-2005, 04:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jessi1:
Hello all, looking for tips on mustang flyin, is it best to use combat flaps for turning or when down on deck to prevent from stalling. Also do you all trim the bird alot and if so how much.What are your preferred convergence(thanks icefire for yours mate) and why.What about throttle settings when cruising and please most importantly (pitch,roll,and yaw settings)I have a ch fighterstick usb(not set up yet) and currently using my trusty logitech wingman extreme. Please only serious advice im not trying to start a mustang fw fight. Salute to you all. Looking forward to the patch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
NP

I use combat flaps for no more than 3-4 seconds at a time. You use them to get that little extra nudge to put yourself into the firing line on a bandit your chasing.

Do not go turning at low altitudes at slow speeds with this plane. Stay fast, use the zoom climb to place yourself in the fight, and tackle your enemies with high speed passes.

Good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Snuffly
03-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Always fly with 25%, it will last u 40 min.

Just in case it happens (and it will)
When u got a 109 on ur six and unable to shake him...

DIVE!!! The 109's controls will be rock solid, past 450kmh and it will plumit straight into the ground(if he follows you, good chance he will) Be sure to pull away so your skimming the deck when u get horizontal again, or he may have time to pull out of the dive.
BEWARE OF THE WING BREAKAGE!!! (will come into effect at 620kmh)
The P-51 has a deadly habbit of breaking off its wings in a dive!!! DO NOT PULL HARD ON THE STICK WHEN COMING OUT OF A DIVE, Instead, pull very easy on the stick, the plane will still turn very well.

Remeber TWO THINGS mate!!!

1. The pony had a "speed wing" = More speed, harder turn.
2. I read alot of mustang books, and not one of them said the plane sucked at low altitudes. So dont listen to those guys that try to tell u otherwise...

#1 thing thats keeps my motiviation so hi for this plane:

It was the BEST high! But it was also GREAT low!
(if flown properly)

Bearcat99
03-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Use flaps the way Ice Fire suggests... when you go into combat in a coop take 25% fuel and drop tanks... drop the tanks when you get to the action and fuel wont be a problem even if you are sight seeing... If in a dive and going over 400mph do not.. I repeat DO NOT pull out of the dive sharply or you may loose your wings..... try to get into the habit of watching your speed always. Try to fire at convergence. At convergence a 1-3 second burst in the right place will light up just about any plane.... on the Zeros just about anywhere especially the wings... on the 109s the area just forward of the pilot where the engine is.. and on a 190 the area right behind the pilot.. Avoid headons like the plague when online against live pilots.... practice using the k-14 sight.. after a while you wont need it.... open your radiator to setting 3 at least... if in the pit watch the redline on your tach and try not to redline it for long.. it will overheat.

GR142_Astro
03-29-2005, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snuffly:

DIVE!!! The 109's controls will be rock solid, past 450kmh and it will plumit straight into the ground(if he follows you, good chance he will) Be sure to pull away so your skimming the deck when u get horizontal again, or he may have time to pull out of the dive.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's the perfect way to get killed in the Mustang. The 109 will simply use trim and stay right on your 6, easily closing in at the bottom of the dive.

You'll have to catch him off guard and pull a high-G quick turn that will black you out. If done right, you will have tossed him aside for a moment, giving you just a few seconds to try to go offensive or throw some other neat trick at him.

geetarman
03-29-2005, 06:32 PM
with a 109 or 190 - dive if you think you can get away. If I feel I have a good head start, I'll use that tactic.

If I'm jumped by a 109, I won't turn fight him. If he's close and gonna nail me, diving to run probably won't work against an experten as the last poster noted. What will work, is diving into a cloud. That will allow you a brief moment to lose him, pull up and try to regain the advantage. You're elevator is much better than his at high speed.

If he sees me heading for the clouds abd breaks contact, so be it. I check six right before entering. If I see he has broken off and climbed, I run straight through the clouds and try to disengage.

The key thing that you should try to remember, historical or not, in this sim, the 109 has it all over a 51 in a medium to low speed dogfight. Avoid them.

Snuffly
03-29-2005, 11:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GR142_Astro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snuffly:

DIVE!!! The 109's controls will be rock solid, past 450kmh and it will plumit straight into the ground(if he follows you, good chance he will) Be sure to pull away so your skimming the deck when u get horizontal again, or he may have time to pull out of the dive.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's the perfect way to get killed in the Mustang. The 109 will simply use trim and stay right on your 6, easily closing in at the bottom of the dive.

You'll have to catch him off guard and pull a high-G quick turn that will black you out. If done right, you will have tossed him aside for a moment, giving you just a few seconds to try to go offensive or throw some other neat trick at him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx for the tip mate! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have seen some do this, but usually, I see them crash beind me, well i wouldnt think it can pull out as easy as a stang... (thats y i said u should be skimming the surface after u pull outa the dive) But thx again fer the tip, i'll be more carefull http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FatBoyHK
03-30-2005, 04:21 AM
See my threads here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=5391023252), which dated back to about 6 months ago, when I just started playing online.