PDA

View Full Version : My JG27 campaighn told in story form. (Now with pics!)

Freiwillige
11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Water, Water, Water. For the past few hours that is all I have seen out the window of this tired old Junkers. Who knew that the Mediteranian sea was so large? Our Italian allies performed escourt with two Mc-200's flying past and above every once so often. The plane is a bit crowded, First you have the mechanics and technical staff who keep our birds tuned and airworthy. Then you have a couple of advisors, both Deutsch and Italian and lastly in the back you have us, the pilots of JG27 who werent fortunate or experianced enough to fly the Squadrons Emils across the pond a few days earlier. The vibrations are getting a little unerving and I whonder how the old Tanta Ju crews cope. Just on the forward horizon I fanally spot land. A brown dusty silouette of what shall become home.
Afrika! Our ingress was fast from that point and we touched down minutes later.

The door to the Junkers 52 swings open and immediatly the dust kicks up in my face. Looking over down the flight line I see the mechanics busily putting dust covers over the exposed engines. "Gentalmen this way to your quarters" A staff personel motioned. "How do you deal with this heat!?" One of the Italian advisors in the back spoke up "Trust me you will get used to it"

Mission 1: Armed recconasance
Its already 114 degrees and its only 9:40! My flight suit is covered in sweat. Climbing aboard my fairly worn out looking E-4B which was hastily painted by the looks of it by the fact that I already see several spots of Light blue in spots they missed. At least the dust will cover them I thought. I had to feel sorry for the Schwartzmann winding my inerta starter. If its that hot just sitting here imagine how he felt. At any rate I just couldnt wait to get up a bit where the air at least is much cooler even in this God forsaken place. With a pull of the flywheel engagement switch the DB 601 roared to life. Reaching up to pull the canopy closed I spot the Ju-88's im supposed to keep an eye on. Hopefully their preasance will illicit a responce from Tommy and than we can dance. With a thud the canopy comes shut and I lock it. I look at all the gauges making sure everything is in order. Radiators full open. If you taxi or even run a 109 with rads in closed position to long you will surely boil her over. It only takes a mater of seconds for the temp gauges to begin reading the proper amount. I slide the throttle forwards with the friction lock on tight until i am reading 1k RPM's With my toes shoving the innefectual German breaks I quikly cycle the Magnito's and monitor for the correct rpm drop, all good both mags on. Then I pull the prop out of automatic and check the manual pitch. Slow but good as all Emils are.
Okay back to Auto. Temp climbing rapidly time to get her going or shut her down. "Tower, First flight heading out" With that I pull the stick full back and begin applying more power. As soon as the aircraft moves a few feet I reach over and pull the tail wheel lock lever. Applying more power now up to 1.2 ATA the airspeed picks up quickly and at 50Kph I shove the stick forwards. The tail pops up and I can see down the runway. I keep the rudder active flashing it left and right trying to get some better grip of the airflow. My Emil is rocketing down the runway and a grin comes across my face. No matter how many times Ive flown her the 109 never disapoints and always kicks my adrenaline into high gear. Now remember what you learned at flight school, Fly her off, Dont pull her off. Let her fly herself off. As the airspeed climbs the excitment is almost overwhelming. I missed Poland and France and Aldertag now its my turn to get at Tommy.

I pull her nose ever so gently back and my 109 departs this earth. I hit the switch and the gears come up with a clank first left than 1 second later the right. Time to go hunting

Five miutes into the flight I can hear the bomber pilots behind us screaming. "Hilfe, Engliche Jeagers!" Me and my wingman pull a left 180 and spot three aircraft bearing in on the two Ju-88s. With no time to think I slam my throttle forwards. The charger whines to life as my boost pressure climbs. Within seconds I pounce on the Hurricanes who are climbing almost lazily skywards towards the 88's Just as we did not see them they had'nt noticed me and my wingman. I nose down and kannon rounds rip thru the top of the lowest RAF Hurricane. Flames engulf it and it immediatly falls out of the sky. I pull back up to get a height advantage on my slower opponents but my wingman doesnt follow. He is new and innexperianced and a little too anxious. He rips around 180 right into them and quicky gets involved in a low speed low altitude turning fight with the two remaining hurricanes on his tail. "Hilfe!" Is the only words he gets out before I see his craft get shredded from nose to tail with 303 rounds. "Verdamnt! Why wasnt I fast enough!" With little time to ponder I tear into the trailing Hurri throwing 20mm ammo at it with wild abandon. Looking back my distance was a bit far but with all the emotion and adrenaline its hard to contain ones self. Just as it looked as if the Hurri was going to fancilly walk right inbetween my shots as he was pullin a tihter left bank than I could follow I threw my left foot hard into the rudder peddals and the 20's found their mark Blowing holes straight thru the Wing. As I pull up using my speed to get up and away from the Hurri leader who's quicky coming around on me I look over my left shoulder and see my last target spinning into the ground as I watch his shadow and his aircraft coming together and finnally meeting on the desert floor. My temp gauges were all starting to peg themselves in the danger zone so I had to back off the throttle as tracer rounds start licking the sky all around my Emil.
"Horrido I got one!" comes out of my headset and just then I notice that the fiing stopped. I look around only to find anther burning Huricane heading earthwards. I scan the sky but see nothing. As it turns out a couple of other Emils were returning from a patrol and noticed my situation and dove in to help out.

I almost feel sorry for those Hurricane pilots as it seems we in the Luftwaffe are always perched right above them! Okay time to head home as I roll over to hit my new bearing My engine begins belching out black smoke. "Scheisse, AAA!" I had inadvertantly whondered a bit farther behind their lines than I had anticipated. No problem just pull the throttle back and open radiaters I thought. Only 22Km to base, She might just make it. I limped along watching my temp gauge go thru the roof and my RPM's and boost do the exact opposite! Just as I was about to call it quits and belly her in on the sand my feild came into veiw. "Tower clear for emergancy landing!" "Ja first flight feild ist clear" Gears down. Trim for landing. Flaps dropped 20 degrees. Cant see! Oil is blocking my forward veiw. Looking out left forward window than right and leaning back and fortyh to make out what I can thru the windsheild. RPMS dropping and engine is making a terrible grinding sound, This is it! With a clunk my crate bounces off the runway and back up 15 meters into the air. "Hold together" I mummble under my breath as I feverishly work the controlls trying to keep her balanced and steady. The plane starts shaking as she finally sets down. Magnittos off. The prop in front of me stops and I slowly work the brakes to get her settled down. Once my speed hits 20 Kph I unlock the rear wheel and give full deflection on the rudder and ground loop her right off the runway.

Popping the top open to get the much needed air I unhook myself and pop out of the seat and onto the wing. This may be a little harder than I thought.

Freiwillige
11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Water, Water, Water. For the past few hours that is all I have seen out the window of this tired old Junkers. Who knew that the Mediteranian sea was so large? Our Italian allies performed escourt with two Mc-200's flying past and above every once so often. The plane is a bit crowded, First you have the mechanics and technical staff who keep our birds tuned and airworthy. Then you have a couple of advisors, both Deutsch and Italian and lastly in the back you have us, the pilots of JG27 who werent fortunate or experianced enough to fly the Squadrons Emils across the pond a few days earlier. The vibrations are getting a little unerving and I whonder how the old Tanta Ju crews cope. Just on the forward horizon I fanally spot land. A brown dusty silouette of what shall become home.
Afrika! Our ingress was fast from that point and we touched down minutes later.

The door to the Junkers 52 swings open and immediatly the dust kicks up in my face. Looking over down the flight line I see the mechanics busily putting dust covers over the exposed engines. "Gentalmen this way to your quarters" A staff personel motioned. "How do you deal with this heat!?" One of the Italian advisors in the back spoke up "Trust me you will get used to it"

Mission 1: Armed recconasance
Its already 114 degrees and its only 9:40! My flight suit is covered in sweat. Climbing aboard my fairly worn out looking E-4B which was hastily painted by the looks of it by the fact that I already see several spots of Light blue in spots they missed. At least the dust will cover them I thought. I had to feel sorry for the Schwartzmann winding my inerta starter. If its that hot just sitting here imagine how he felt. At any rate I just couldnt wait to get up a bit where the air at least is much cooler even in this God forsaken place. With a pull of the flywheel engagement switch the DB 601 roared to life. Reaching up to pull the canopy closed I spot the Ju-88's im supposed to keep an eye on. Hopefully their preasance will illicit a responce from Tommy and than we can dance. With a thud the canopy comes shut and I lock it. I look at all the gauges making sure everything is in order. Radiators full open. If you taxi or even run a 109 with rads in closed position to long you will surely boil her over. It only takes a mater of seconds for the temp gauges to begin reading the proper amount. I slide the throttle forwards with the friction lock on tight until i am reading 1k RPM's With my toes shoving the innefectual German breaks I quikly cycle the Magnito's and monitor for the correct rpm drop, all good both mags on. Then I pull the prop out of automatic and check the manual pitch. Slow but good as all Emils are.
Okay back to Auto. Temp climbing rapidly time to get her going or shut her down. "Tower, First flight heading out" With that I pull the stick full back and begin applying more power. As soon as the aircraft moves a few feet I reach over and pull the tail wheel lock lever. Applying more power now up to 1.2 ATA the airspeed picks up quickly and at 50Kph I shove the stick forwards. The tail pops up and I can see down the runway. I keep the rudder active flashing it left and right trying to get some better grip of the airflow. My Emil is rocketing down the runway and a grin comes across my face. No matter how many times Ive flown her the 109 never disapoints and always kicks my adrenaline into high gear. Now remember what you learned at flight school, Fly her off, Dont pull her off. Let her fly herself off. As the airspeed climbs the excitment is almost overwhelming. I missed Poland and France and Aldertag now its my turn to get at Tommy.

I pull her nose ever so gently back and my 109 departs this earth. I hit the switch and the gears come up with a clank first left than 1 second later the right. Time to go hunting

Five miutes into the flight I can hear the bomber pilots behind us screaming. "Hilfe, Engliche Jeagers!" Me and my wingman pull a left 180 and spot three aircraft bearing in on the two Ju-88s. With no time to think I slam my throttle forwards. The charger whines to life as my boost pressure climbs. Within seconds I pounce on the Hurricanes who are climbing almost lazily skywards towards the 88's Just as we did not see them they had'nt noticed me and my wingman. I nose down and kannon rounds rip thru the top of the lowest RAF Hurricane. Flames engulf it and it immediatly falls out of the sky. I pull back up to get a height advantage on my slower opponents but my wingman doesnt follow. He is new and innexperianced and a little too anxious. He rips around 180 right into them and quicky gets involved in a low speed low altitude turning fight with the two remaining hurricanes on his tail. "Hilfe!" Is the only words he gets out before I see his craft get shredded from nose to tail with 303 rounds. "Verdamnt! Why wasnt I fast enough!" With little time to ponder I tear into the trailing Hurri throwing 20mm ammo at it with wild abandon. Looking back my distance was a bit far but with all the emotion and adrenaline its hard to contain ones self. Just as it looked as if the Hurri was going to fancilly walk right inbetween my shots as he was pullin a tihter left bank than I could follow I threw my left foot hard into the rudder peddals and the 20's found their mark Blowing holes straight thru the Wing. As I pull up using my speed to get up and away from the Hurri leader who's quicky coming around on me I look over my left shoulder and see my last target spinning into the ground as I watch his shadow and his aircraft coming together and finnally meeting on the desert floor. My temp gauges were all starting to peg themselves in the danger zone so I had to back off the throttle as tracer rounds start licking the sky all around my Emil.
"Horrido I got one!" comes out of my headset and just then I notice that the fiing stopped. I look around only to find anther burning Huricane heading earthwards. I scan the sky but see nothing. As it turns out a couple of other Emils were returning from a patrol and noticed my situation and dove in to help out.

I almost feel sorry for those Hurricane pilots as it seems we in the Luftwaffe are always perched right above them! Okay time to head home as I roll over to hit my new bearing My engine begins belching out black smoke. "Scheisse, AAA!" I had inadvertantly whondered a bit farther behind their lines than I had anticipated. No problem just pull the throttle back and open radiaters I thought. Only 22Km to base, She might just make it. I limped along watching my temp gauge go thru the roof and my RPM's and boost do the exact opposite! Just as I was about to call it quits and belly her in on the sand my feild came into veiw. "Tower clear for emergancy landing!" "Ja first flight feild ist clear" Gears down. Trim for landing. Flaps dropped 20 degrees. Cant see! Oil is blocking my forward veiw. Looking out left forward window than right and leaning back and fortyh to make out what I can thru the windsheild. RPMS dropping and engine is making a terrible grinding sound, This is it! With a clunk my crate bounces off the runway and back up 15 meters into the air. "Hold together" I mummble under my breath as I feverishly work the controlls trying to keep her balanced and steady. The plane starts shaking as she finally sets down. Magnittos off. The prop in front of me stops and I slowly work the brakes to get her settled down. Once my speed hits 20 Kph I unlock the rear wheel and give full deflection on the rudder and ground loop her right off the runway.

Popping the top open to get the much needed air I unhook myself and pop out of the seat and onto the wing. This may be a little harder than I thought.

Freiwillige
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Squating under the wing of one of the squadrons Emils to escape the blistering sun me and my wingman as well as a pair from another flight await our afternoon orders. In this heat it seems that even the water in our canteens is to hot to drink. Our gruppen C/O walks around the front of the aircraft then ducks under the wing. "alright we have no missions for you but we need to keep the pressure on so you two pairs will split up and perform a FreiJag (Free hunt) mission to the east. Moments later I am climbing out over our airfeild and headed east along the coast. Within minutes I spot a pair of Hurricanes below coming straight in. I nose down and hammer the throttle forwards and level out 100 meters below them in a head on engagment. As soon as the Hurri flight leader passes I pull the stick with both hands and mash on the kannon button. The barking of the orelikon kannons rocks my aircraft as I loose sight of the trailing aircraft dissapearing beneith my cowling. A half a second later he shoots over me with his left wing completly torn from his aircraft. I yank my Crate over into a left decending bank pulling around to get angle on the lead Hurri which is running for all he's worth. At 200 meters my kannon shells find there mark and his aircraft is wholed. His canopy pops off and I see him fall above me into the slipstream. "Thats two in 30 seconds!" my wingman shouts out! We then start gaining altitude taking our birds up to 5k and looking for trouble to the north over open water. About 15 minutes later I see a trail flight of four dots climbing after a fifth. The other two 109's are 3k above me so we all peg our boost gauges and go tearing right in! The highr flight gets to the unaware Hurricanes a split second before we do and dives firing. Scoring several hits on the tail end charlie they managed to scatter the flight. Me and my wing dive after the wounded pair and moments later my kannons rock the wingroot and cockpit of the fleeing Hurricane. He rools into a vertical dive and moments later impacts the ocean surface. The lead of the flight starts pulling away then makes an inexcusable mistake! He puls up into a vertical climb. with my speed advantage I close the distance quickly and just as he hangs on the stall I fire directly into his cockpit with my last remaining kannon rounds and he is killed instantly.
I decide its time to head out but stumble onto a last damaged Hurri. a couple of machinegun rounds later he is dispatched and my flight returns safely! Upon returning I get the news that I am being put in for the Iron cross First and second class and I have also been confirmed for being an ace in one day for downing five Hurricanes!

CUJO_1970
11-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I recommend adding pictures. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also line breaks and paragraph indents can make the body of the text easier to read.

blairgowrie
11-26-2008, 06:29 AM
Please check PT's CUJO_1970

Freiwillige
11-28-2008, 02:02 AM
The morning had been spent rather quietly we had some Tommys buzzing around at high alt at dawn but there was no scramble called and we got a show with the 88 gunners trying to thread the needle so to speak. Yes it was a relaxing if not hot morning.

The C/O came out of the operations tent over to a few of us playing cards. "We have a recon flight going 30 kilometers east over the lines who needs dancing partners, Ive promised em a pair." The fellows in my squad all looked tired so I stood up "Ill go" "Great find your wing and be on the ready in 15!" With that he snapped a quick salute and spun about. "Alright Wolfgang your the most rested, Get your gear"

Like clockwerk the Ju-88 came over us as we were lifting off. Climbing to 12k we settled in behind and above the recon craft. We began our usuall s curves lazily behind the craft when ahead stacked at three differant altitudes the enemy was spotted.

There were at least ten fighters to our two. "Keep em off the bomber!" I screamed a pushed the throttle forwards steadily. Like always the 601 screamed thru the sky hell bent on giving those Hurricanes a proper run. The Recon craft not wanting any of this quicky about faced and firewalled it for home just beyond the horizon. I pulled around on to the lead Hurricane and from a heavy deflection gave him a burst seeing strikes along his fusalage. He pushed the nose over and dove out of my machine gun fire a split second before I was going to bring the cannons into it. I doubt I hurt more than his pride but at least he was thrown off of his target. I straddled in behind the second Hurri and gave him several bursts but before anything connected he to flipped over and dove out of the scene.

My wingman then began crying out for help so I tore around and put a random burst in the direction of another Hurri that was determined to add my winman to his daily menu. After all that it became a circus in the sky and the Hurri attacks though well coordinated were falling short of hitting me or my wingman do to poor marksmanship.

The sky was filled with hurricanes turning, diving and climbing all around us. I had to remind myself more than once to let them go when I was working into a favorable position so that I could get back to the Junkers. As I pulled my nose around ina full power climb I noticed 1 Hurricane in the distance having his engine shot out from under him by the Junkers 88. Another three quickly took his spot and with in moments their fire was being pushed home.

The 88 with left ingine burning rolled and three bodies came tumbling out. I had just caught up to the treo and let a well aimed burst out into the last one in line. He dove and seconds later I saw his chute. Being out of cannon ammo I cut for home as my wingman went on a killing spree.

Being seperated from me all I could hear was his radio play by play but one after another he shot them out of the sky taking many non lethal hits himself in the process. Then as luck would have it another pair of 109's returning from patrol out at see dove in to the fight and the Remaining Hurricanes bugged out in all directions.

As I was lining up on my finall approach I noticed my aircraft getting mushy. I dont know if it was wind, turbulance or sheer exhaustion on my part but as I went to flair on landing my aircraft didnt seem to respond. I hit the landing strip hard and bounced. Being on the verge of stalling I was fighting the stick just to keep her level. As I came back down the gear collapsed and my Emil slid off the side of the runway. Another 109 lost in a landing accedent!

Enforcer572005
11-28-2008, 10:02 AM
VEry well done. i know I'm gonna dnload it. The story format is effective, but you really need to upload some screenies to better promote it. You can convert them to JPGs with any photo program and upload them someplace like photobucket or elsewhere.

We are really wanting to see some screens from this well written project. Your writing style is pretty good btw.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Divine-Wind
11-28-2008, 11:04 AM
+1

Very fun reading!

Freiwillige
11-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Yea alot of times I have to force myself into cutting the story short or ill go on forever and my Girlfriend doesnt like to be ignored http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif Thanks guys for your kind words ill look into getting pictures put up, maybe ill even do some artistic license and cool effects, Or maybe not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Freiwillige
11-28-2008, 05:05 PM
"Here it is boys, another recon flight." The men seem disapointed. The popular missions seem to be the free hunts where they can engage and disengage at will. "Dont worry Major, This time im sending up a schwarm after the last engagment it shall become the way we do things. Aircraft permiting that is." http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_162120_C08112816211993.jpg
The take off run was smooth and again without fail my Diamler engineered motor purred like a desert lion. The base is getting more filled as a Stuka squadron and a He-111 squadron has joined our little desert camp
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_162210_C08112816220992.jpg
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_162417_C08112816241751.jpg
"Alright boys were gonna climb out at heading 104 degrees and take em up to 4 kilometers."

"Damn where is that recon craft?" I scanned the sky but there was no trace. "So much for being on time!"
After a few minutes flying time I spotted a lone Bf-110 heading directly across our course slightly below going to my left. As I watched him cross I saw him dive and fire on a group of unknown craft below him, taking out one in a terrific ball of flames. "Alright lets give Tommy a German reception!" I banked left and tore into the group who were busy focusing on the 110. At the last second the Hurricane spotted me diving on him and broke but it was too late!
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_163502_C08112816350248.jpg

I hammered the poor man with an accurate burst and pulled up to see him smoking and heading in.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_163848_C08112816384818.jpg

I pulled up sharply to get above the madness and spotted his flight lead coming around. I pulled the stick back to its limits and looped the Emil onto his six and without further issue pressed the fire button seeing strikes all along his tail!

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_163557_C08112816355737.jpg

As i pulled up past him I banked and saw his cannopy jettisoned and assumed he would be free in a moment.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_163646_C08112816364685.jpg

To my suprise he didnt make it out and another brave soldier has fallen.

"Look out Major! Hurricane at your 10 uhr closing!" Wolfgang reported. I looked back and saw him closing fast so I rolled wildly trying to throw off his aim and cause an over shoot. His tracers streaked past my cockpit and I hunched down behind my armored seat but the hits never found there mark. As I jerked my craft all over he finnaly overshot me with both of us chopping power. As I leaned in behind him to get into position I saw tracers tearing into his crate and sawing off his wing!

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_164040_C08112816404060.jpg

The fight was dying down at this point as yet again the Tommy's scrambled in all directions.

The few that stuck around met the same fate

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/FreiwilligeIL2/IL2M_W081128_163939_C08112816393962.jpg

With the mission done as far as I was concerned it was time to go home and celibrate!

Birds-of-Prey
11-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Really good!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Freiwillige
11-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks. I think nextime ill resize the pics a bit smaller and focus more on the story again.

Enforcer572005
11-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Very well done. The screens are very effective and well edited. Thanx....