PDA

View Full Version : The More AI the Easier?

Nigel_Woodman
01-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Seems to me that in missions with a lot of AI, it's much easier to get a kill. One good burst and straight down they go. In one on one, the AI seems to last forever. Even after good hits they cruise slowly, belching smoke at low altitude trying to induce me to crash.

It this a design feature to speed up processing by eliminating opponents as fast as possible? Am I imagining things?

Dash_C.
01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Perhaps the mission builder found the odds were too unfavorable when the horde of AI planes were set to a higher skill level, so he "evened the odds" by reducing the AI skill across the board?

Was it a default IL2 campaign mission?

Nigel_Woodman
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
It's not that the AI skill level is decreased. They're just easier to shoot down with fewer hits. In one on one I can plink away all day from close range and the AI keeps on ticking. In missions with lots of AI, it seems that a few carefully placed shots do the trick.

Chuck_Older
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
It's just your perception, I think. I have made several missions in which the player takes on a formation of bombers in a certain plane. the player flies that certain plane against large formations (about 40-48) formations and against small formations (4-8)

It's easier for me to get kills in the large formation intercepts; the enemy has multiple targets to pick, so I'm not getting all their attention, and I can take that fraction of a second more to aim, and insure a good hit

SeaFireLIV
01-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
It's just your perception, I think.

I would agree.
I find it easier to get more kills with a good mix of enemy and friend aircraft simply because the enemy is often occupied trying to prioritise who`s an immediate threat and who`s not. Giving you (and sometimes the friendly AI) a chance to pop in there and take it down. Has anyone noticed, by the way, that if a friendly AI`s having trouble getting to an enemy plane all you need to do is approach from the enemy 7-9 or 3-5 oc as a threat and the AI enemy will get slightly confused, usually allowing the AI friend to catch up and hit it?

Now take on a highly skilled or Ace AI in comparitive aircraft where all it has to worry about is you and things can get more difficult. The damage thing is an illusion.

Nigel_Woodman
01-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm not talking A/I awareness or tactics here. I'm talking bullet hits. One on one, it seems to take lots of hits to make a kill. With large numbers of planes, just a few hits have the same effect.

Chuck_Older
01-07-2006, 10:02 AM
In that case, I can't say I've ever experienced that

Kuna15
01-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Seems to me that in missions with a lot of AI, it's much easier to get a kill.

According to the law of the high numbers that should be correct.

Chuck_Older
01-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Nigel feels it's physically easier to acheive a kill in this case

Example: X number of hits with weapon Y to location Z on the enemy, with high numbers of AI= a kill

But in the same situation, X number of hits with weapon Y to location Z on the same enemy with low numbers of AI= damage

I don't find this to be the case, personally

Kuna15
01-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Nigel feels it's physically easier to acheive a kill in this case

Example: X number of hits with weapon Y to location Z on the enemy, with high numbers of AI= a kill

But in the same situation, X number of hits with weapon Y to location Z on the same enemy with low numbers of AI= damage

I don't find this to be the case, personally

Agree 100%.