PDA

View Full Version : New Update on AC: Episodes

SWJS
02-11-2010, 01:42 AM
This new Gamespot article (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6249989.html) sheds a very dim light on the project.

Apparently, it WILL have multiplayer, but it will also have a Single Player campaign, which follows Ezio in Rome, right after the events of AC2.

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if it'll tie up all those dangling plot threads? Plus, it's confirmed we get to explore Rome, so, Awesome! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Edit: Also, good news for PC users. The PC version has a release window of March 2010, so you guys will get it sometime next month.

SneakyStabz
02-11-2010, 02:41 AM
I think its sad they are pushing AC2.5 when they still have not filled the AC2.0 preorders for PC!

Here are two articles worth reading. I think they shine a LOT of light on why Ubi is treating its game releases in this fashion...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1068059p1.html

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/in...aD0mZmlsdGVyX3llYXI9 (http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/index.php?p=59&art_id=60&vars=c2VuZGVyPUFMTCZzZW5kZXJfdXJsPWluZGV4LnBocCUzR nAlM0Q1OSUyNmFydF9pZCUzRDU1JmNvbV9pZD03MjcmZmlsdGV yX3R5cGU9JmZpbHRlcl9tb250aD0mZmlsdGVyX3llYXI9)

SWJS
02-11-2010, 02:51 AM
I think its sad they are pushing AC2.5 when they still have not filled the AC2.0 preorders for PC! To be fair, a good majority of PC users cancelled their preorders when they learned of the delay. So, it makes sense that they wouldn't fulfill PC preorders, since there are very few, if any, left.

SneakyStabz
02-11-2010, 04:42 AM
No thats not "fair"... encouraging a customer to preorder something and then stalling so long they have to cancel is just bad business and shows your more concerned with pushing through new games rather than honoring your current commitments? It would seem fair to focus on fulfilling the PC preorders first, especially since there are still customers waiting.

Ubisoft is losing money and is desperately trying to get new games out. Their new focus on product quantity will hurt product quality. Be prepared to see more...we had to cut basic features like mission relpay cause we ran out of time and had to make pre-christmas release dates...we couldnt properly test the chapters so we cut them and are selling them back to you as DLC... we couldnt fit multiplayer in before release, so we'll sell it to you as AC2.5 for full retail price!

Additionally, if no one cares about preorders for the PC why is this thread so dang active??
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...24/m/6491071297/p/58 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/6491071297/p/58)

timpbader
02-11-2010, 05:01 AM
That was worded kind of weird. Is it comeing out by april or sometime during their next year starting in april?

SWJS
02-13-2010, 11:50 PM
No thats not "fair"... encouraging a customer to preorder something and then stalling so long they have to cancel is just bad business and shows your more concerned with pushing through new games rather than honoring your current commitments? It would seem fair to focus on fulfilling the PC preorders first, especially since there are still customers waiting. Ubisoft didn't stall or cancel. They delayed the PC version by just a few months to optimize it for the PC, and to polish it up more. The PC gamers are actually getting a better, less buggy game, which will include the lairs and DLC. The PC gamers are actually getting the special treatment.
Ubisoft is losing money and is desperately trying to get new games out. Their new focus on product quantity will hurt product quality. Be prepared to see more...we had to cut basic features like mission relpay cause we ran out of time and had to make pre-christmas release dates...we couldnt properly test the chapters so we cut them and are selling them back to you as DLC... we couldnt fit multiplayer in before release, so we'll sell it to you as AC2.5 for full retail price! How are they losing money? AC2 garnered 6-8 million dollars. As for their focus on product quantity, Ubisoft is simply expanding their franchise. They're playing with it, so to speak, seeing what does better or worse. Replaying missions isn't a basic feature. Just because AC1 had it doesn't mean AC2 HAS to have it. There are several other games out there that didn't offer mission replay, and they were all perfectly fine. They removed the two sequences because they didn't matter to the overall story. They simply decided to put it up as DLC for those who were interested in extra gameplay. Nobody said you HAD to buy the DLC or episodes. And if you had read the above article, you would know Episodes is a Single Player game following directly after AC2, with Multiplayer as a feature. This is testing to see if AC is right for multiplayer. Once again, you could simply rent Episodes, or borrow it. If people like it enough, AC3 may have multiplayer. And, Multiplayer isn't the single most important feature in the world. Many games are perfectly fine without it.
Additionally, if no one cares about preorders for the PC why is this thread so dang active?? Simply because that is the main thread for discussing opinions on the PC version. No one has to actually buy the PC version to offer their opinion in a thread.

bokeef04
02-14-2010, 01:32 AM
the way i see it AC2: episodes is Ubisofts testing ground for multiplayer, they go to these extreme lengths to bring out a new IP and something that hasn't been seen before, and all people seem to want to do is pick at the flaws

@EzioTheAssassin: i agree with what you said but i think they sold 6-8million copies, and expecting to have sold around 9 million by march, working off the 9mill target AC2 alone will have earned Ubisoft roughly 450 million USD

FiskMunk
02-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
Ubisoft didn't stall or cancel. They delayed the PC version by just a few months to optimize it for the PC, and to polish it up more. The PC gamers are actually getting a better, less buggy game, which will include the lairs and DLC. The PC gamers are actually getting the special treatment.

Simply optimizing the game for PC, which shouldn't be considered a bonus despite it having become custom to get molested by almost all game producers nowadays, doesn't make up for the horrible way they've treated us, the consumers. Don't get me wrong, the actual game devs must be awesome, but:
4 month delay, with no valid info on the actual release date until there was a month left? And then throw a failure of DRM in our faces?
And the latter will probably be part of all future Ubisoft PC games.

SWJS
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Right. Forgot about the new DRM feature. My mistake. Though you guys will get all the extra content in one package, or so I've heard. So it might not be that bad. And, look on the bright side, if DRM fails, which it does have a chance of doing, Ubisoft will remove it. And, you always have other games to play if you lose your connection for a while. It's not like it's the end of the world. Every annoyance also comes with at least one good thing.

gohanks10
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
i hope to see all cities from assassins creed 2 in this game

Grandmaster_Z
02-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I wonder if you get to choose one of the other assassins to play as in the multiplayer mode...i wanna play as La Volpe!

Assassin_Cat
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Need I remind you all of when Assasssin's Creed 1 went PC. It was released as a 'directors cut', which included new content and missions that weren't originally part of the PS3 launch.

The PC version will have sligly better graphics, and a little content we didn't see on the ps3. It'll also come with the lairs and DLC. Meaning when the pc version hits the stores for only 60 USD, you pc fans are still going to save money. I paid 80 for my Gamestop edition Master Assassin box. im also going to be paying another 4 bucks for the late feb dlc, and i've already bought the late jan dlc.

so quit your friggen bellyachin and get back to worshipping Ubisoft for bringing an amaizng franchise to the very dull gaming world. (you can't deny that gaming's been stale for a few years now, that is, if you want something more than a friggen first person shooter *halo*)

AgentValentine
02-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Riiight.

It's pretty bad when I can buy a copy of a game for PS3, and both DLCs for cheaper than I can get it on PC.

I'm not worshipping any gaming company. Especially when Valve doesn't charge me for DLC ever, lol.

caswallawn_2k7
02-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Especially when Valve doesn't charge me for DLC ever, lol.
yet they charge for it on xbox live.

IEzioI
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
sounds good cant wait http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TheEpicWolf
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
woo more epic bearded assassin-ness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

p.s why can't i tick the sig box? :-/

caswallawn_2k7
02-15-2010, 03:52 PM
clear your cache it's a running problem with the forums.

thebutcherhead
02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
How are they losing money? AC2 garnered 6-8 million dollars. As for their focus on product quantity, Ubisoft is simply expanding their franchise. They're playing with it, so to speak, seeing what does better or worse.

They lost sales in catalog titles such as Avatar: the game, which underperformed with some reductions in handheld/DS market. Read here. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6246325.html)

This article also explains why Ubisoft is focusing efforts and resources on their console games, and why that may be more cost effective for them as stated in the article you posted above.

Replaying missions isn't a basic feature. Just because AC1 had it doesn't mean AC2 HAS to have it. There are several other games out there that didn't offer mission replay, and they were all perfectly fine.

For a series like the Assassin's Creed franchise, mission replay is an important feature for players which adds a variety of depth and expansion to gameplay.

It can allow players to find new approaches, developing multiple strategies by which to complete missions at a more flexible pace. This can make replaying the game more worthwhile as well; having a more thorough knowledge of different things they can do in the game, the overall experience of completing a second playthrough is enhanced for the player and provides additional incentive to re-experience the story. The feature also lets players enjoy their favorite moments of the game without looking them up on youtube.

Removing the feature not only puts a restriction players' ability to more thoroughly experience each mission, but forces them to move on if they aren't satisfied with how it was completed. This leaves the player to replay the entire story for the sake of one mission, which most people simply wouldn't spend the time doing, minus an unhealthy addiction to video games.

The point is, no one's reasonably going to put that kind of time away for one mission in a single video game. The game is still "just fine", as you say, when it should be, "that much better".

Without a feature for sequential replayability, the game is less likely to be replayed than a blu-ray disk or movie, and more likely to inhabit a burial site on your shelf collecting dust.

You trade in the crappy games, not good games like AC. My point being AC 2 without replaybility makes it less than it would be with the feature included. It may not be a requirment for the final cut of a game, but it is nevertheless an important feature.

They removed the two sequences because they didn't matter to the overall story.

Regardless of the developer's reasons, it's still a model by which companies can enhance profitability for a game franchise, while also being a form of advertising many gamers aren't happy with.

Additionally, if no one cares about preorders for the PC why is this thread so dang active??
Simply because that is the main thread for discussing opinions on the PC version. No one has to actually buy the PC version to offer their opinion in a thread.

I think most of the people in that thread actually did pre-order the PC version, which was why they were upset.

gohanks10
02-16-2010, 06:33 PM
i hope to see milan in this game, since that in 1500 the city was controled by Sforza family. so this will makes sense in the history, because there is a character in the original game called catarina sforza.

AgentValentine
02-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Especially when Valve doesn't charge me for DLC ever, lol.
yet they charge for it on xbox live. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they don't. Microsoft does. If you're playing on an Xbox, it's your own problem. Valve doesn't charge a dime.

Mr_Stunner
02-17-2010, 05:18 AM
I hope they put Millano aswell

viberunner
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Bear in mind that almost nobody buys PC games. The vast majority of PC games are pirated.

You can look at Modern Warfare 2. It sold millions on the Xbox. It sold millions on the PS3. But it only sold tens of thousand on the PC. Not that it was unpopular on the PC (despite the lack of dedicated servers) because it was torrented millions of times on the PC.

In percentage terms, in the UK the breakdown was:

360 - 57%
PS3 - 40%
PC - 3%

Will AC2 be pirated in the millions on the PC? Well, the first one was. Isn't the reality going to be the vast majority of people playing AC2 on the PC are going to be playing a hacked, torrented copy?

This is a real issue for everyone concerned - gamers, developers, and publishers. And I'm not sure I have any easy answers.

SneakyStabz
02-17-2010, 11:34 PM
How are they losing money? AC2 garnered 6-8 million dollars. As for their focus on product quantity, Ubisoft is simply expanding their franchise. They're playing with it, so to speak, seeing what does better or worse. Replaying missions isn't a basic feature. Just because AC1 had it doesn't mean AC2 HAS to have it. There are several other games out there that didn't offer mission replay, and they were all perfectly fine. They removed the two sequences because they didn't matter to the overall story. They simply decided to put it up as DLC for those who were interested in extra gameplay. Nobody said you HAD to buy the DLC or episodes. And if you had read the above article, you would know Episodes is a Single Player game following directly after AC2, with Multiplayer as a feature. This is testing to see if AC is right for multiplayer. Once again, you could simply rent Episodes, or borrow it. If people like it enough, AC3 may have multiplayer. And, Multiplayer isn't the single most important feature in the world. Many games are perfectly fine without it.

IF you read things other people posted before you commented you would know how I know Ubi is losing money

From their Financials I linked above
"In addition, Ubisoft now expects to end the year with a current operating loss before stock-based compensation of around €50 million, rather than the previously announced target of current operating income amounting to at least €70 million. This negative swing reflects the following:"

Well I dont care who you are when you plan to make 95 million dollars and end up losing 68 million that makes stockholders angry especially in a bad economy...
May 15, 2008 Stock Price €69.90
May 18, 2009 Stock Price €14.25
Today's Stock Price €9.80
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=UBI.PA

Similarly if you would read stuff you would know that Ubi intents to include mutliplayer in all their brands, so no I dont think AC2.5 was some kinda test...Its probably what AC2 would have been if they would have waited till after Christmas to release it! "We've made big investments to make sure all of our brands could become multiplayer," said Guillemot. "We're coming out with Driver, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, and Ghost Recon, which will all have multiplayer."

I could go and point out more statements from both the CEO and CFO of the company showing its losing tons and looking for a desperate way of recouping some loses.

Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer, stated "Despite a number of highly successful titles, such as Assassin’s Creed 2 – which is expected to reach 9 million sell-in units by the end of March 2010 – and Just Dance – our great Wii success during the holiday season – Ubisoft has not met its financial targets."

"In the same call, Ubisoft's chief financial officer Alain Martinez pointed to the annual Raving Rabbids series as evidence of the effectiveness of this plan. When you add up the three Raving Rabbids games over the years, what we are seeing are the total amount of units going up," said Martinez. "Assassin's Creed has kept selling and is still one of our best sellers. Bringing a game regularly is actually maintaining a better sell of your back catalog because you are more present and people will buy the new title or the cheaper, cost-effective ones."

Yves Guillemot, the CEO of Ubisoft, was quoted in the company's third-quarter 2008-09 sales report as saying "as some of our games did not meet the required quality levels to achieve their full potential, they need more sales promotions than anticipated."

When I start hearing a company focusing on "cheaper, cost-effective games" and "back catalog games" needing pushing, games that don't meet quality levels need more promotions... well it doesn't reassure me as a customer as to the product quality.

Im sure Ubisoft wont go bankrupt any time soon, but I bet they start churning out so-so games that are well marketed and cost effective. They might even go so far as to cut out missions and sell them off as new content... or start releasing games like AC2.5 Multiplayer, AC3.25, the game you should have got if they waited and focused on quality...

Oh and since mission replay isn't a basic feature, please list 3 examples of similar games that wont let you replay with out starting all over...

firewaterearth2
02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Assassin_Cat:

so quit your friggen bellyachin and get back to worshipping Ubisoft for bringing an amaizng franchise to the very dull gaming world. (you can't deny that gaming's been stale for a few years now, that is, if you want something more than a friggen first person shooter *halo*)

Excuse me, but you're talking crap.
There are companies out there who actually make good PC games instead of giving us crappy half-assed console ports, check out The Witcher by CDPR if you don't believe me.
The PC gamers have every reason to complain about Ubisoft and the treatment of their customers. Yeah, we get the DLC included, but we also get a totally over the top DRM (which was most likely also the reason for the delay and not 'optimizing').

As for that episode, I think there is some cash cow milking going on here and I doubt this going to be high quality. It's like brewing a stew out of leftovers from the last meal.

SWJS
02-18-2010, 02:24 AM
*sigh* You know what, could a mod please step in and close this thread?

From the very start this thread has turned from a discussion about Episodes into "The DRM is stupid!", "PC gamers are being treated like crap!", "The DLC isn't fair!" etc. The only thing in any of these comments related to the subject is a sentenced tacked on at the end complaining about something wrong with Episodes, and there are only two or three comments on topic. Every thread with the word DLC or PC in it is turning into this. I'm unable to regularly talk about AC2 without someone derailing the thread with complaints. I'm getting tired of it.

I just want a mod to close the thread since it's never been on topic in the first place and it's minutes away from turning into Flame War III. There are probably other, better topics on Episodes anyway.

SneakyStabz
02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
I cant believe you ask a moderate to close your topic when it catches attention but you derail threads tons and its fine. If you dont like the comments dont post... it will fall off the forum sooner or later.

SWJS
02-19-2010, 02:14 AM
If by 'cathes attention' you mean going way off topic, then yes, it certainly has.

I do not derail threads. You should really take a look at your own posts, your first post in this thread is the one that derailed this topic, bringing up unfairness to PC users.

Just because I mentioned GTA IV in the DLC thread doesn't mean I went off topic. I was using it for a comparison of AC2's DLC price and value. I was still on the topic of whether or not the DLC was a rip off, I was just using GTA IV's DLC as comparison.

And you're right, the thread would die sooner or later. I'd just prefer that it died before someone started a flame war.