PDA

View Full Version : Plane constantly banks with changes of engine power?

rtm1884
08-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Hello, I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows, and ever since I reinstalled IL2 sturmovik (I have 1946, FB and PF) I have been having a problem while flying, in every plane.

Whenever I am in flight and I decrease my engine power to around below 70% or so my plane's wings start banking either to the left or the right, mostly to the left, and I have to compensate with my joystick. If I decrease to 0% engine power, it can get pretty severe. I never used to have this problem. When I increase engine power back up to 100% or 110% the plane again flies straight. Does anyone know whats causing this? I have tried checking the rudder, prop pitch, etc. but nothing seems to help.

I should also add in that when taking off the plane always attempts to go hard left, and I have to counteract it by putting my rudder all the way towards the right. I realize that planes move L or R on the runway when taking off because of engine torque, but they never used to go this hard left all the time.

rtm1884
08-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I forgot to add that I have tried recalibrating my joystick as well (im using a Logitech Attack 3) which didn't help. So I don't think its my joystick either

PhantomKira
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Not sure what's causing your problem, but my first instinct would be to urge you to ditch that Logitech. Personal experience with their products (joysticks, anyway) has not been stellar. Maybe you've never had problems with it? Eh, it's just advice. Here's a salt lick to take it with.

M_Gunz
08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
You could be a lot more sure of how IL2 sees your joystick by watching the red and green boxes in the sensitivity sliders screen.

As far as single-prop planes banking when power is changed, they are supposed to to some degree. You're supposed to change trim to suit if you can, rudder alone will do nicely. It's a propwash effect which changes with speed and power.

JtD
08-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I'd guess you're flying with higher difficulty settings now. Did you fly with full difficulty before?

p-11.cAce
08-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Welcome to having torque switched on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.rcaeronautics4dodos.filipinovegetarianrecipe.c om/images/engine_torque.jpg

On aircraft with the prop going the other way it is reversed.

M_Gunz
08-09-2010, 09:39 AM
That's torque. Propwash spirals around the plane and pushes on wings and tail and is stronger than constant torque.
P-factor is stronger than constant torque. Running the engine up or down, torque can take some planes out of the sky.

p-11.cAce
08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Gumz do you know if p-factor is modeled by the FM? I just guessed that all the "torque" effects were tossed together into one table.

arjisme
08-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by rtm1884:
If I decrease to 0% engine power, it can get pretty severe. OP, are you trimming the plane to compensate for this and then reducing power? If so, you will need to retrim or it will not fly straight at the new engine power setting.

I also agree with the suggestion above to look at the in-game configuration screen and watch how the game interprets your stick movements. Hmm, you should also make very sure all your controls are properly assigned. Do you have rudder pedals? Make sure everything is properly calibrated and assigned in the game.

M_Gunz
08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
Gumz do you know if p-factor is modeled by the FM? I just guessed that all the "torque" effects were tossed together into one table.

I don't really know how to show p-factor without wash in IL2 but you can play with power and speed in a shallow dive to see the wash change. Or try gliding and see how far the tail is offset against normal propwash at design speed. I'm trying to remember if p-factor and wash push in the same direction, it's been a long time even for me since I worked p-factor out.

The biggest wash effect in IL2 is during the takeoff run in a tail down tail dragger anyway. Maybe p-factor is highest then too. maybe they are combined, I don't know what tests would show a definite one way or another answer.

BillSwagger
08-09-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm sure that sounds like torque, but if you wanted to be sure you could switch off difficulty settings and see if it still occurs.
I doubt it has much to do with your controller.

Bill

BillSwagger
08-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p-11.cAce:

I don't really know how to show p-factor without wash in IL2 but you can play with power and speed in a shallow dive to see the wash change. Or try gliding and see how far the tail is offset against normal propwash at design speed. I'm trying to remember if p-factor and wash push in the same direction, it's been a long time even for me since I worked p-factor out.

The biggest wash effect in IL2 is during the takeoff run in a tail down tail dragger anyway. Maybe p-factor is highest then too. maybe they are combined, I don't know what tests would show a definite one way or another answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a P-47 the nose wants to pull to the left so i need to trim rudder, but in dives i have to release trim rudder, so the nose straightens out again. Then as the plane slows, i apply more trim rudder. This seems to be the procedure for most planes, although the amount of trim required differs. Some also oscillate more on the roll axis which means dispite centering the ball, the plane will still want to roll. This can be a lot of work for a pilot that's energy conscious.

Bill