PDA

View Full Version : A Driver MMOG-Ultimately the Best On-foot & Driving

Assault_machine
12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I've thought more about all the different things that we expect for Reflections to bring to life in a future Driver game and now that I think about it, not very many of those ideas can be taken into consideration, nor can they be improved upon so well or even taken to new directions, unless Reflections makes the next Driver game an MMOG.

Think about it this way. How awesome would it be to see Driver go even further in both on-foot & the driving elements? GTA IV is being a mistake of not having become an MMOG as it could have really stomped every non-linear game to the ground and could have exploded with so many new driving and on-foot ideas. With APB (All-Point Bulletin) taking the MMOG direction, if done right, it's numbers of features and its elements could be even able to top the GTA games. With an MMOG, so many more options are opened up.

Don't think of an MMOG as impossible for a console to handle. Already, an MMOGFPS game called Huxley is being worked on for the Xbox 360. Although Shadowrun wasn't a very good Xbox 360 MMOG, I'm sure that a successful MMOG will eventually come.

Driver could go towards single-player and multiplayer, but usually that is what it lacks. With multiplayer, there wouldn't be so many fantastic new ideas, even if it could be online, when it'd only be a few players for you to play against. Single-player, too, while being a bit stronger, wouldn't deliver enough to make a great new Driver game as we likely wouldn't see very many of the big ideas that we've wanted in a Driver game.

If Driver could become an MMOG, it would mean many more miles for a city, multiple careers (both driving & on-foot ones), many abilities on-foot, a better shooting & aiming system, many traffic laws, a lot of realism, more interactions, many interiors being open to you, and, of course, thousands of players. There would be so many things possible if Driver heads in this direction. It could be the biggest step ever taken for a Driving game. And besides just being mainly about hollywood-styled car chases, it could extend itself even further to other driving opportunities and experiences. It could even take all what the racing games have done and take it to new heights. This could easily be the biggest achievement in driving and on-foot, both for freedom and quality.

It'd be quite a risk of having Reflections take as they will need more than 2 years to work on an MMOG and if something goes wrong, it may not be the best that they'd hope for it to be, but sometimes high risks are necessary to take as an action.

I've given my idea of a Driver MMOG, so you can either respond to this or think of a different way it could be done as an MMOG. Or, if you really don't like the idea, feel free to troll around. I simply don't care.

Driverman2006
12-16-2007, 11:24 AM
What does "MMOG" stand for?http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Assault_machine
12-16-2007, 11:33 AM
It stands for Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming. If you've heard of games like World of Warcraft, WWII Online, Planetside, FFXI, and among others, you'll know by what I mean when I say this.

Basically, it's having a completely multiplayer only game, but with hundreds or even thousands of players to play with or against, the possibilities are endless. The world or worlds' scales have to be very big to fit every player within them, so the worlds take more of the form of RPGs' worlds.

If you understood what I just told you, then maybe you can now give an honest opinion on my first post of this topic and on this topic itself.

Driverman2006
12-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, I don't really care about multiplayer in games. I like playing them alone usually. So I could progress myself to beating the game. Just whatever it is, I hope they DON'T make the online and/or multiplayer required for game completion. Pretty much all XBOX 360 games have that and it pisses me off because I don't have XBOX live or online services. Like in Stuntman: Ignition (the XBOX 360 version, which is the one I have), you need to play some online games to complete the game. I hope the next Driver game focuses only on the single player aspect for game completion.

JacksonL2007
12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I usualy dont like your ideas but that was hell of a clever i never really thought that would be posibble but it would be funny to get high jacked and then chasing them to get your car back lol

I like it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Driver would most certainly go places

PennySillin
12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I've thought more about all the different things that we expect for Reflections to bring to life in a future Driver game and now that I think about it, not very many of those ideas can be taken into consideration, nor can they be improved upon so well or even taken to new directions
Sounds like you need to work on your imagination some. Just because certain aspects are covered in a game doesn't make that aspect good, DPL needs a lot of work to be good all around.

Thats not to say I don't like multiplayer online. It'd be fun the first 50 times I was murdered by people who never leave their house.

InsaneDriver06
12-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Online games have proven very successful, with more sales as a result of gamers interacting online, so it'd be a good move, but require a lot of debugging the bugs, something Ubisoft can help with.

I'd like the game to be an online game like TDU, in the sense you could choose to play offline single player, or online anytime, and the main game missions could be won on or offline.

driver_madness
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
At the moment my primary connection is dial-up! If that in some cases, so to me it's not the best idea in the sense of me using it.

But other than that I think it's an awesome idea.

Ages ago back on the Atari Forums suggested something similar.
The idea was a driving world where everyone is on the streets is a real person driving as they wish. Scrap the idea of AI and have the best AI ever, a real player!
You could have all these different sorts of mini-games such as Cops n' Robbers, Free Cruise, Taxi and Survival.

All of the below choices will work in the same world, when that map is overloaded with players there may be a choice of another map depending on how many people are online.

Cops n' Robbers
You can choose to be a Cop or a Robber.

-Cops
Watch the streets of +city+. But watch out and make sure internal affairs get on your back or your going down!
-Robbers
Cause chaos in the streets of +city+.

Free Cruise
Just be a normal everyday civilian, watch out for those dangerous robbers and don't break the law and get pulled over by one of those cops.

Survival
Choose this mode to get every single cop on the map alerted to chase you.

Taxi
Become a taxi driver for pedestrians who cannot be bothered driving around (lazyness).

You get the idea!
But would be very awesome to have this online functionality.

InsaneDriver06
12-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Whether online or not, another thing this new Driv4r could use are DLC downloads, such as a new VEHICLE PACK every three months or so for the first year after release. So you could expect new cars, sportbikes, trucks, trains, maybe even a flying vehicle as a bonus?

driver_madness
12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah! thats something the developers should work on.
Extending the life of the game over a period of time.
Adding small new features; such as vehicles, islands, missions and things similar to that.

InsaneDriver06
12-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Some ideas are formula 1 race cars, stock cars, moer sportbikes, muscle cars, specialized vehicles, more missions, options, cheats, etc.

FutureVenturer
02-14-2008, 08:42 PM
It may have been too much of an exaggeration to bring up the idea of an MMOG experience for Driver, yet it is a fun and interesting thing to add to.

I've recently been hearing that episodic content may be the best form of content available for developers to do, in terms of downloadable content. This kind of an experience can give a more casual feel, but it will make sure that gamers can have the time to finish playing through an episode. With games that are 40 hours of length or more, gamers usually don't end up finishing them, or they just finish them and move on with a new game. But if a game was to get new content after a few weeks or months, which allows for a 5-10 hour experience, and that wraps up an episode well, it could be a success for developers and their games. It's proven to help Sam & Max succeed (it's already on its second season of episodes). With episodes, it can connect directly to the actual game, but through small pieces that, in the end, solve the puzzle (or meaning) of the game. Further, things like vehicles, weapons, characters, etc. can be made new to get included with a package of each new episode.

InsaneDriver06
02-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I'd like Driver to include a land so giant, it would take hours to get to the other side doing 55 mph.

Driverman2006
02-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by InsaneDriver06:
I'd like Driver to include a land so giant, it would take hours to get to the other side doing 55 mph.
Why don't they just model the whole damn world 100%? That would be the solution, and I support that all the way.

FutureVenturer
02-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Driverman2006, you've proven greatly that you do not know the idea of games being art. Before, I've mentioned that self-expression is something that must be looked into. I figure that you do not know the meaning of it, so you can go and look up its meaning, which is what I did, to understand furthermore on what art is about.

Secondly, you're goals for Reflections are, a lot of times, unrealistic. 100% accuracy isn't possible and it'll never happen. Try to undestand this. The world changes much quicker than you'd expect. If a developer was to sit around trying to portray one landscape of the game like a specific landmark and find that it changed, would the developer's artists go back to changing it, just to make it exactly how it looks? It's an impossibility for such a thing to happen.

Also, about your idea, InsaneDriver06--that being a huge pile of land--it doesn't serve a good enough reason at all. If I have a game and put a whole pile of land, lets say a desert in the game, I need a majority of that to be available for the player(s) to interact with as much as possible. Currently, it's still a great limit for technology to present us a video game that can be so non-linear that it spans an entire state, country, or even continent, in which we can explore absolutely everything it has to offer. Not only this, but it may stray too far from the story or original purpose of the game.

The best that Reflections can do is add more vehicles, missions (through episodes, in this case), weapons, and to fix certain portions of the game. Other than that, a lot of other options aren't available, as we must keep our expectations realistic.

Driverman2006
02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
It's only an idea I have (which will probably be physically possible maybe 50 years from now). It would be awesome if the whole world was modeled 100% in a game, even down to our own homes. I would love to burn rubber on my street (in a game).

FutureVenturer
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh my god, Driverman2006. If you keep at it this way forever, you'll never understand things clearly enough, and you won't be realistic at your decisions, when looking for your future.

No offense, Driverman2006, but you really should try to stop being lazy and learn to take more time at how you come up with ideas or comments because most of yours seem ridiculous. And if you think that someone will come to a topic like this, just to steal an idea of yours--that being to have a 100% modeled world--it will only slip into their hands, but they can't expect to make it perfect. What you're asking from a developer is to make a perfectly rendered city/world and that just won't do it. Some things in this world are impossible to happen. And looking for developers to make perfection is amongst the most foolish key beliefs/ideas anyone could come across.

Even if a Driver MMOG could be made, it wouldn't do as well on a console than on the PC. From what I've learned, the PC has far more storage capacity than a console (even the PS3 cannot measure up to the PC), so it is only a thought. If a Driver MMOG is ever made soon, it will either fail or it just won't stretch to far lengths as the MMOGs on the PC do.

Driverman2006
02-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by FutureVenturer:
Oh my god, Driverman2006. If you keep at it this way forever, you'll never understand things clearly enough, and you won't be realistic at your decisions, when looking for your future.

No offense, Driverman2006, but you really should try to stop being lazy and learn to take more time at how you come up with ideas or comments because most of yours seem ridiculous. And if you think that someone will come to a topic like this, just to steal an idea of yours--that being to have a 100% modeled world--it will only slip into their hands, but they can't expect to make it perfect. What you're asking from a developer is to make a perfectly rendered city/world and that just won't do it. Some things in this world are impossible to happen. And looking for developers to make perfection is amongst the most foolish key beliefs/ideas anyone could come across.

Even if a Driver MMOG could be made, it wouldn't do as well on a console than on the PC. From what I've learned, the PC has far more storage capacity than a console (even the PS3 cannot measure up to the PC), so it is only a thought. If a Driver MMOG is ever made soon, it will either fail or it just won't stretch to far lengths as the MMOGs on the PC do.
Well first off, I was only acknowledging InsaneDriver06's point. And second, I'm NOT lazy, I'm just a guy who won't settle for less. So if settling for less makes me "Lazy" in your book, then I'm "Lazy". But in my book, I think I'm a "Hard Worker" on the forums. I make points and I don't change my positions on them, and I fight for them.

FutureVenturer
02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Being unopen to a change in one's self is your weakness. If you won't allow others to briefly educate you further and to help you realize the world how it is through a more realistic scope, you'll never succeed as much as you'd hope for, and your visions will almost always be the opposite of your own. Keep this in mind.

InsaneDriver06
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Driverman2006:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FutureVenturer:

Well first off, I was only acknowledging InsaneDriver06's point. And second, I'm NOT lazy, I'm just a guy who won't settle for less. So if settling for less makes me "Lazy" in your book, then I'm "Lazy". But in my book, I think I'm a "Hard Worker" on the forums. I make points and I don't change my positions on them, and I fight for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the whole world would be cool, but just a general representation of the world, about 60% accurate, but the road maps would be 95% accurate.

If Eden Games can capture the size of Hawaii's largest island Oahu well, anything's possible. But the world, in another 10 years maybe.

For now, I'll settle for an entire state.

-------
FutureVenturer, opinions are never wrong or right, they're just opinions, and everyone is allowed to have them in the US and many other countries. Not everyone's idea will match your own, but no need to correct us everytime they don't. Just a friendly reminder, no big deal.

FutureVenturer
02-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I highly doubt, no matter what anyone says, that developers would be so intrigued in bringing together a whole entire area that is 100% accurate.

Yes, I was kind of hard on him and I'm sorry for that. It's not that I believe he's wrong. It's just that he's too close-minded. Of course, we're allowed to think anything we want, but sometimes it may get to look repetitive. I think that I'll ignore any posts, for now on, if I see that they're not something that is realistic. I will, however, say this: World War II Online, a PC game, did offer a ton of miles, even more than any other games so far. It has perhaps over 300,000 sq miles, covering a lot of the lands from the western most countries of Europe. It's a FPS game. But despite it having this many miles, I doubt that the developer made everything accurate. When making a video game world, the purpose should not be to make it as accurate as possible, but to have it revolve around the idea or self-expression which the developer has. If it strays too much from it, there's a chance that it'll do more bad for the developer than good.

When I look at Test Drive Unlimited, I believe that it's purpose was to take racing to more roads than games in the past. And while 1,000 miles seems like the experience may never die, it does lack in its own ideas, at some point. A game that truly suits a lot of miles is if it'll be an RPG or MMOG. If there aren't many players that the game will support, then it seems useless. And if a game's world can't feel immersive enough, what would the point be of including so many miles? I'll leave it at that for you guys to respond to. Other than that, I won't go on with this particular topic.

InsaneDriver06
02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by FutureVenturer:
I highly doubt, no matter what anyone says, that developers would be so intrigued in bringing together a whole entire area that is 100% accurate.

Yes, I was kind of hard on him and I'm sorry for that. It's not that I believe he's wrong. It's just that he's too close-minded. Of course, we're allowed to think anything we want, but sometimes it may get to look repetitive. I think that I'll ignore any posts, for now on, if I see that they're not something that is realistic. I will, however, say this: World War II Online, a PC game, did offer a ton of miles, even more than any other games so far. It has perhaps over 300,000 sq miles, covering a lot of the lands from the western most countries of Europe. It's a FPS game. But despite it having this many miles, I doubt that the developer made everything accurate. When making a video game world, the purpose should not be to make it as accurate as possible, but to have it revolve around the idea or self-expression which the developer has. If it strays too much from it, there's a chance that it'll do more bad for the developer than good.

When I look at Test Drive Unlimited, I believe that it's purpose was to take racing to more roads than games in the past. And while 1,000 miles seems like the experience may never die, it does lack in its own ideas, at some point. A game that truly suits a lot of miles is if it'll be an RPG or MMOG. If there aren't many players that the game will support, then it seems useless. And if a game's world can't feel immersive enough, what would the point be of including so many miles? I'll leave it at that for you guys to respond to. Other than that, I won't go on with this particular topic.

Miles and miles of road. It's the biggest draw to a driver exploring the limits of the terrain. Make it too small, and the experience becomes repetitive. Make it too big, and there's always more to explore, online or not.

By the way, TDU is online and considered a MMOG. Massively Multiplayer Online Game World.