PDA

View Full Version : Sim Cosair AFT views, versus RL views

IVJG51_Animal
01-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Over the Christmas break.......yes, I said Christmas..........I had an opportunity to crawl all over a beautiful, flying, Corsair F4U-5. I was able to take pictures, and compare cockpit views, with those I see in the sim. My initial analysis is that the aft view in the sim is extremely limited, compared to RL.

IVJG51_Animal
01-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Over the Christmas break.......yes, I said Christmas..........I had an opportunity to crawl all over a beautiful, flying, Corsair F4U-5. I was able to take pictures, and compare cockpit views, with those I see in the sim. My initial analysis is that the aft view in the sim is extremely limited, compared to RL.

VBF-83_Hawk
01-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Looks like the better view is in the real F4U huh? I was thinking the same thing in the photo below but failed to take pics, therefore no pics no postie. It was a while back too.
http://www.geocities.com/vmf_312/bryanf4usmall.jpg

pourshot
01-07-2005, 09:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IVJG51_Animal:
Over the Christmas break.......yes, I said Christmas..........I had an opportunity to crawl all over a beautiful, flying, Corsair F4U-5. I was able to take pictures, and compare cockpit views, with those I see in the sim. My initial analysis is that the aft view in the sim is extremely limited, compared to RL. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for posting those pics it's nice to compare.

TheGozr
01-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Not the same angle of view lens camera not enough wide...

CPS_Shadow
01-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Because pilot lean is not modeled I think you will find all rear views to be more limited then they are in real life. The pilots head in the game basically rotates on a single point.

Must have been a blast to get to crawl arround that bird.

VBF-83_Hawk
01-08-2005, 01:29 AM
....and how many guys would dogfight for 3 hours with thier heads turned backward? I'd say after about 30 seconds of that would make most get very dizzy or light headed!!

IVJG51_Swine
01-08-2005, 06:42 AM
I really noticed the difference when you look at the tail, you have a much better view in real life.
Thanks for putting them up Animal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Matz0r
01-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Cool pics, what about the forward view?

IVJG51_Swine
01-08-2005, 07:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F16_Matz_:
Cool pics, what about the forward view? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=albumcomments&s=400102&f=63110913&m=2831024162&r=2931034162#2931034162

IVJG51_Animal
01-08-2005, 09:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VBF-83_Hawk:
....and how many guys would dogfight for 3 hours with thier heads turned backward? I'd say after about 30 seconds of that would make most get very dizzy or light headed!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guys that survived the war!!!

IVJG51_Animal
01-08-2005, 09:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGozr:
Not the same angle of view lens camera not enough wide... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the lens angle not being wide enough. I was at it's widest setting. Originally, I had posted the screenshots in the "wide view," and it was no where close to my pics. The biggest issue is the position of the eyes as your head rotates. I was not leaning to see around the fusalage, but my eyes were off center. To get the view that is represented in the SIM, I would have actually had to lean backwards. Keep in mind, I didn't have the screen shots to compose the photos.

S!!
Animal

Diablo310th
01-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Mu issue with teh F4U-1 is the feeling of flying under a hood. I find the rear and upward view to be very poor. It's almsot like flying in a razorback Jug. One thing I did notice is that in these pics the armor hood is not present like it is on the -1 model. It's this armor plate above and behind teh piolot that bothers me as well as the poor rear view. Maybe if we ever get a -4 version with the better bubble hood it will improve.

IVJG51_Dart
01-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for taking the time to do this Animal. Great comparison shots.

Ala11_Kal
01-08-2005, 01:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VBF-83_Hawk:
....and how many guys would dogfight for 3 hours with thier heads turned backward? I'd say after about 30 seconds of that would make most get very dizzy or light headed!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a book writen by a spanish fighter pilot in SCW who mentions that on returning to the base after every mission he felt two things: cold to his bones and a terrible pain on his neck, he was all the time checking the sky arround.

Back to topic. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

VBF-83_Hawk
01-08-2005, 07:38 PM
I think I would of had a kinked neck myself. Just thinking about it gives me chills. Just last night after flying yet another 1.5 hour mission, just when I thought all was quiet, tracers zoomed passed me. Even though this is a game is cared the living daylights out of me. Never before have I shuved in the thottle so fast as well as the props. At the same time pushing the stick foward.