PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel visioned ai?

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 03:12 PM
For me this seems to happen more often than not in single player (and coop missions but not as much).

The lead plane of a wing chases the lead plane of another wing, both lead planes have the wingmen following close behind them respectively. Now so long as the chasing ai doesn't fire, the chased ai and wingman ai don't respond. A long chase with rudder turns follows with the 'chaser' and his wingman getting closer and closer to their potential victim. Nothing odd about that, but what is odd, is when the chaser and his wingman 'overtake' the wingman of the chased ai, but because (I assume, but I might be wrong) there is no shooting at this point the chased ai's wingman still doesn't respond to the threat, even at times when he has been overtaken and the bandit 'looks' as though he's in direct line of fire. They just don't seem to respond to this kind of immiment threat.

Even when the shooting starts the defending wingman reponds by pulling a roll over to get onto the six of the threat, by which time in most cases the lead defender is taken down and its too late.

I wouldn't say its a bug as such, but appears to be a very restrictive limitation within the ai, I don't know how much would need to be done to correct, or even if it can be reasonably achieved without a cray computer to do the calculations. So this isn't a whinge, but it can be a frustrating spoiler to single play.

Is it something that depends on the ai skill setting or something like that?

Regards

Rook

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 03:12 PM
For me this seems to happen more often than not in single player (and coop missions but not as much).

The lead plane of a wing chases the lead plane of another wing, both lead planes have the wingmen following close behind them respectively. Now so long as the chasing ai doesn't fire, the chased ai and wingman ai don't respond. A long chase with rudder turns follows with the 'chaser' and his wingman getting closer and closer to their potential victim. Nothing odd about that, but what is odd, is when the chaser and his wingman 'overtake' the wingman of the chased ai, but because (I assume, but I might be wrong) there is no shooting at this point the chased ai's wingman still doesn't respond to the threat, even at times when he has been overtaken and the bandit 'looks' as though he's in direct line of fire. They just don't seem to respond to this kind of immiment threat.

Even when the shooting starts the defending wingman reponds by pulling a roll over to get onto the six of the threat, by which time in most cases the lead defender is taken down and its too late.

I wouldn't say its a bug as such, but appears to be a very restrictive limitation within the ai, I don't know how much would need to be done to correct, or even if it can be reasonably achieved without a cray computer to do the calculations. So this isn't a whinge, but it can be a frustrating spoiler to single play.

Is it something that depends on the ai skill setting or something like that?

Regards

Rook

XyZspineZyX
06-24-2003, 07:09 AM
wellcome hell to

"Never forget the past so we dont make the same mistakes in the future"