PDA

View Full Version : Strange NPC behaviour?

ElliottLam
01-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Ever noticed how some NPCs when just walking around tend to do random stuff?

e.g. I noticed a few Doctors sneezing (literally) the other day, and I once saw a Courtesan shading her eyes from the Sun?

My questions: has anyone else noticed this? and is it possible to replicate this kind of behaviour as a human player? Because I've never seen myself do this ever lol, or were they actually human players and these random behaviours are intended as hints???

Squiddish
01-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Your character DOES do these things, you just don't see it.

ElliottLam
01-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Snipemaster666:

Really? I'll pay more attention from now on lol, or are you trolling? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Jack-Reacher
01-04-2011, 01:59 AM
I think if you leave your character alone they wander around, and then they might start doing those animations. If you manually make them walk they might not, just speculation though.

ElliottLam
01-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
I think if you leave your character alone they wander around, and then they might start doing those animations. If you manually make them walk they might not, just speculation though.

Some more experimenting! To the PS3!!! Oh wait nvm, they're watching Cougar Town -_-

SimDuff
01-04-2011, 02:49 AM
By walking in groups (and following automatically) your character does stuff if I remember correctly.

I also heard that in another player screen they might do stuff but I've never seen any player's character sneeze or hide from the sun yet, again I'm not sure if they do it while automatically following in a group.

I did hear one thing, that if you point your camera behind you (ex to see if you have any suspicious followers) your character will turn it's head to see in other screens. I don't think this is true though.

Squiddish
01-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by ElliottLam:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snipemaster666:

Really? I'll pay more attention from now on lol, or are you trolling? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't see it as in it doesn't show up to you. Other players see you do those things.

obliviondoll
01-04-2011, 02:53 AM
When you're in a blend group, or your character is walking casually after spawn (before you take control), your character will mimic NPC actions.

If you're walking in a blend group, your character will randomly sneeze and do other things NPCs do. If you're in a stationary group, you'll gesture like you're a part of the conversation.

ElliottLam
01-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by SimDuff:
By walking in groups (and following automatically) your character does stuff if I remember correctly.

I also heard that in another player screen they might do stuff but I've never seen any player's character sneeze or hide from the sun yet, again I'm not sure if they do it while automatically following in a group.

I did hear one thing, that if you point your camera behind you (ex to see if you have any suspicious followers) your character will turn it's head to see in other screens. I don't think this is true though.

Yea I haven't seen this happen at all lol. I read that too, I think it was an article by Astlan or someone. I'm 90% sure he was just mistaken lol

Originally posted by Snipemaster666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElliottLam:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snipemaster666:

Really? I'll pay more attention from now on lol, or are you trolling? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't see it as in it doesn't show up to you. Other players see you do those things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol alright then. I was joking about the trolling part. I've been on the forums long enough to know you know your stuff lol

obliviondoll
01-04-2011, 03:42 AM
The turning head animation happens randomly with NPCs, I'm pretty sure it's randomised on players as well.

I've seen it happen on a player who didn't seem to have seen me coming when they should have if they had looked behind.

ElliottLam
01-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
The turning head animation happens randomly with NPCs, I'm pretty sure it's randomised on players as well.

I've seen it happen on a player who didn't seem to have seen me coming when they should have if they had looked behind.

Hmmmm, interesting. So these are all pretty much just random animations occurring randomly. Damn, I was hoping for a vital piece of info that could win me the game lol. Nvm, I will find an exploit one day mwahahahaha!

Phyxsius-
01-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Gestures are random, mimicking(not sure of spelling) NPC`s: sneezing, waving hands, randomly turning head (which happens on other NPC`s in the same group too), etc.

You can see those too.

I tested ingame and it seems that the head is NOT turning with the camera while "fully blended". No idea on "half blended", but that shouldn`t happen anyway, since you are not using animations, just standing, so it is really easy to tell who`s who.

tallinn1960
01-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Phyxsius-:
Gestures are random, mimicking(not sure of spelling) NPC`s: sneezing, waving hands, randomly turning head (which happens on other NPC`s in the same group too), etc.

You can see those too.

I tested ingame and it seems that the head is NOT turning with the camera while "fully blended". No idea on "half blended", but that shouldn`t happen anyway, since you are not using animations, just standing, so it is really easy to tell who`s who.

Actually if you are only "half blended" (or "not locked in" as I call it) the whole avatar is turning on the spot while looking around. It is a big shout "I am here".

Phyxsius-
01-04-2011, 07:20 AM
the whole avatar is turning on the spot while looking around. It is a big shout "I am here".

Oohhh.. thank you.

SilentBobBMFJ
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
In one of my first matches, I saw that there was a group of 3 people, and that one of them was my target. I thought hmm what do I do. I then noticed that one of them wasn't gesturing, but rather just standing there arms at sides. I felt quite proud when I killed him. But now I find out that players do actually gesture like the NPCs? Well then why didn't that person?

obliviondoll
01-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by SilentBobBMFJ:
In one of my first matches, I saw that there was a group of 3 people, and that one of them was my target. I thought hmm what do I do. I then noticed that one of them wasn't gesturing, but rather just standing there arms at sides. I felt quite proud when I killed him. But now I find out that players do actually gesture like the NPCs? Well then why didn't that person?
Hadn't joined the blend group properly - sometimes happens.

It VERY rarely happens to NPCs, but it does happen - 90% of the time you see this it's going to be a player.

Inorganic9_2
01-15-2011, 04:03 AM
I thought that I'd got it down..when I hear whispers, the guy walking towards me without gesturing/sneezing/looking around etc. is my pursuer...however, I got killed by someone who was doing that recently, so I'm thinking the animations show up for other people.

cptn_k
01-15-2011, 04:52 AM
If you leave your controls alone and let your persona stand in a group or walk in a group they behave exactly the same as other NPCs.

What I have noticed with NPCs on a few occasions recently is that when I respawn there are hardly any of them around??

I had this in the castel a couple of days ago, spawned on the top landing by the tents with the jugglers on top, but there were no NPCs to be seen anywhere! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Guess they were off for a tea break, or in a meeting somewhere...

W.E.S.P
01-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Couple of things ive noticed with them

Randomly Vanishing
Vanishing from benches http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Hanging & sitting on/off ledges http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Acting exactly like real players.

-----
This isnt strange behavior but i didnt want to create a post about it. I dont think they can fix this either.

When you got a clear view straight down a path or on a roof. You will see your target well before you see any NPCs around them. I think its got to do with how many modles/polygons can be displyed at any one time which is why i dont think they can fix this.