PDA

View Full Version : Installing on Vista

gobbles414
06-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased THE ULTIMATE FLIGHT COLLECTION for my gaming laptop, which uses Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit). Lock On and IL2 installed with only minimal trouble. But I cannot install Pacific Fighters. I have tried running setup.exe as the administrator, under compatability mode, etc. Searching this forum, I found two possibilities. First, my computers DVD drive is a read/write. I've read about some copy protection issues on such drives. Also, a suggested fix is to run a.exe instead of setup.exe. The only problem is, there is no such file as a.exe on my disk. I even went into an DOS command prompt to be sure.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

gobbles414
06-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Is there anyone who can help me to install this game?

triad773
06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Suggest uninstall/reinstall. Don't know how that helps, but something with Windows just makes it so.

Do not think it's a drive issue; tho possibility of bad CD a maybe. Examine for scratches, etc.

I do not know of many who are happy with Vista just yet, but hope that it works for you.

Cheers

Triad

gobbles414
06-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi triad773,

Thanks for the reply. I cannot do an uninstall of PF because I have not even been able to launch the installer. Thus, there is nothing to remove in add/remove programs. This is what happened: When I put PF disk 1 in for the first time, I selected autoplay.exe in a Windows dialog (the other choice was to browse the disk's folders). Then I got another message from windows, saying that there had been an error in the installation process. The funny thing is I had not tried to install the program yet. At that point, I was given two choices by Vista. I could either "accept the installation", or "reinstall using recommended settings". Since I had not yet installed anything, I assumed that the correct choice was to "accept the installation". In retrospect, this may have been a bad idea. Using the methods that I mentioned in my first post, I then tried to install PF. The installer doesn't appear. Nor does the computer seem to be calling any data from PF disk 1. Still no luck...

gobbles414
06-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi again triad773,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that both of the PF disks look perfect. BTW, the only reason that I purchased Vista instead of XP SP2 is because I need Vista for my work (don't ask).

MaxMhz
06-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Vista is a PITA...

Make sure you log on as administrator with full rights.
DO NOT install to drive c: (the default); change it to another drive or NOT under c:/Program Files/ (install in another directory)...

IL2 needs to write to conf.ini - that's not allowed under vista in c:/program files/...
The driver update for dvdrw drives is only for securom 7 protected il-2 Sturmovik DVD, not for PF.

triad773
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, bad CD maybe. If you purchased it locally perhaps try exchanging it. I do know that Vista won't run some older programs, but those are like Windows 98 stuff. PF should install OK since it isn't that old.

It could be that there was some sort of registry error that I am unfamiliar with if the autorun is hosed.

Anyone else who's running Vista have any ideas?

impulse1978
06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
I play il-2 Sturmovik : 1946 with no problems on vista. What is your version of vista? I have Home premium. 32 bit. Try to install it somewhere other than C:/Program files. Maybe it would work. Good luck.

Skycat_2
06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Installing PF might be a 'No Go' for you, either because of Vista or because of the "Anti-CD Burner = Anti Piracy" technology that PF is notorious for. IL-2 and Lock On for $20 isn't a bad deal though, so at least this wouldn't be a complete loss.

The IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 DVD installed and plays okay on my Vista notebook. Successfully installing third-party utilities for it has been hit-or-miss but I have been able to get Hyperlobby and Demon's UberQuick Mission Generator to work. Anyhow, since 1946 includes all of Pacific Fighters within (plus additional Japanese planes from the new Sturmoviks Over Manchuria content) you might consider just grabbing that instead.

mysticyears
06-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Got an answer for you. I also purchased The Collection of PF, IL2, and Lockon. I was able to get Pacitic Fighters to install via Run, then Browse on the install disk Setuppf.exe. Run that and it should install fine. It worked for me.

VW-IceFire
06-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Quick question...did you try to install from the Administrator account, from an account with administrator privileges, or did you start with a user account that has reduced privileges and you used UAC to elevate to administrator?

Also...you may get more help from here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/49310655

Instead of the general discussion area...

gobbles414
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

Thanks again to all of you for trying to help me with this issue. While it is possible the PF installation CD is defective, I really doubt it. I'll take it to an XP machine tomorrow to confirm one way or another. I will try mysticyears' solution and report back. And yes, I am trying to install from an account that has admin privileges.

mysticyears
06-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Your welcome. To asnwer the Admin question, I am limited in understand the Administrative function. I sign in under an account name, but it was the master or main account on my computer. Not sure how clear that was. In any case, now I am having trouble with the program when I run it in the Champain mode. When I do, the game starts off with my plane in the water off the starboard side of the aircraft carrier. I can't go anywhere in the water! Any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks.

VW-IceFire
06-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Its possible that the package that you have doesn't have the A.exe on it. It doesn't sound like a bad disc and if it were it'd be more along the lines of the whole thing being unreadable or readable to a certain point. The FAT should still be intact and you should still see the file even if its defective so I doubt that very much.

What happens when you do try and install? I don't have Vista at home but I have had it at work for many months now (RC1 and retail) and I've had to do a few things to get some software to work but not really all that much. Even with some seriously legacy software. It all works and it wasn't that hard.

If you can take any screenshots of any of the errors or the contents of your CD or something like that it might be useful.

VW-IceFire
06-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by mysticyears:
Your welcome. To asnwer the Admin question, I am limited in understand the Administrative function. I sign in under an account name, but it was the master or main account on my computer. Not sure how clear that was. In any case, now I am having trouble with the program when I run it in the Champain mode. When I do, the game starts off with my plane in the water off the starboard side of the aircraft carrier. I can't go anywhere in the water! Any ideas what is wrong?
Thanks.
Campaign mode? (the other is a bubbly drink) Sounds like the DGEN isn't working properly if its a campaign that came with the game. Delete the campaign and create a new one and see if that works.

VMF-214_Pappy
06-22-2007, 06:12 AM
turn off user accounts in vista i did its annoying as heck i have mulitple websites i will post later for tweaking vista.

Takamaka
06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
One of the worst advices on Vista is turning off UAC. You always have the opportunity to work your way out without turning it out. If you are using a limited account, as you <STRIKE>should...</STRIKE> no must do, you can run anything with elevated privileges as needed (Run as administrator...), and you can also from time to time run with your administrator account.
Remember, security should be a paramount in our connected world... So give the couple limited account and UAC a chance, I am using them for the last 6 months now and I do not have any trouble with it.

VW-IceFire
06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't know...UAC isn't perfect...its great for the common user but for a more technically inclined power user its less useful.

RickRuski
06-23-2007, 09:49 PM
You have not said wether you are trying a stand alon or merged instal with PF, or where you are installing to. I have "Vista" and my advice is do not instal into the default location:-C\Program Files\, you will have problems altering Conf.ini Files if you do. " Vista " has a read only lock on all files in "Program Files" . Make a new folder for "C" e.g.:- C\My Games\ and instal into there, including any associated programes like "Mission Mate" , "UQMB" etc; these programs need to read/write to each other and can't do that sucsessfully in "Program Files" folder. You will need to alter Conf.ini files at some stage for your own preferences.

gobbles414
07-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi all,

I am sorry to have taken so long reporting back. I have been able to install the standalone version of PF using the run command suggested in one of the above posts. I installed it to a sub-folder within the documents folder (it has read/write permissions). The latest patch installed without any problems.

Despite a good installation, the game will not run. The game starts for a few moments but crashes before loading any buttons/menus. I have tried all compatability modes and graphics options... still not working. I have also tried to start the game using the run command. The only cause I can think of is that Vista has Direct X 10 preloaded and I did not install Direct X 9c. The other games in the ultimate pack work fine, so I don't think that Direct X is the issue.

Any ideas?