View Full Version : AM2 Socket ?

08-03-2006, 01:56 PM
*!* My friends

This is my last stand between deciding about my upgrade and actually placing the order.

. What are AM2 Socket Mobos and proc. all about? Are they really better for someone like me, who's upgrading right now? Are they faster? And the DDR2?

thanks in advance,

08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
I advise a wait and see approach.
BoB will not be released until 2007, and a price competition between AMD and Intel has begun. Two deeps breaths, and a cold beer is my perscription.

08-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm..... b e e r....

Yes and the Intel Core 2 Duo look fantastic also... BUT by the time BoB SOW comes, simply who knows??

08-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by steve_v:
I advise a wait and see approach.
BoB will not be released until 2007, and a price competition between AMD and Intel has begun. Two deeps breaths, and a cold beer is my perscription.

Sorry if this is OT but when did it get delayed? Link? Last I read it was oct. nov. this year.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Sorry if this is OT but when did it get delayed? Link? Certainly not OT.
Aviaforum: what is the progress of BOB, what stage is it on. When can we get screenshots, videos, ect€¦.?

O.M. Not this year. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/3801037864

08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Although you can probably upgrade at a price that will fit what you wanna do now, and still have a rig to play BoB on the lower settings. But I you already have DDR PC-3200 memory in your current setup, you can go with a 939-pin configuration that will all you to use your current HD, memory, cd-rom's, etc...

A 3500_AMD64 proc and decent 939-pin mobo such as the MSI K8N Neo4-F will only set you back $175. And PCI-E graphics cards are very, very reasonable. The X850XT can be had for around $150 in PCI-E. The 6800GT or Ultra in the Nvidia lineup can be had for less than or around $200 in PCI-E. And if you would spend $280 or a bit less, you can get a 7900GT KO Superclock from eVga that rivals the 7900GTX in clock speeds and performance.

08-03-2006, 05:46 PM
I've got a rig almost exactly like the one Quazi is talking about: 3500+, K8N-4 mobo, 2 gigs PC 3200 memory, X800 PCIe video card. I run Black Death on perfect, water 1, forest 3, effects 0 at an average of 38 fps, low of 15 fps.

Considering the way processors are dropping in price right now, I think three or four months' wait on a new rig would probably allow you to build a monster rig for much less cash than you could now.

For instance, I built mine this time last year. The 3500+ cost $270. Now I can get one for $75. Prices are dropping like a rock!

08-03-2006, 05:56 PM
The thing is that I can't wait, my mother is coming back from her PhD in Canada and is able to bring me stuff, I have to seize this opportunity. The PC part market here in Brazil is way more obsolete and expensive (especially expensive, about 2 to 3x). Plus, I dare to believe AMD will drop prices more than they have already done.

My current rig is an Athlon Xp2600, on an Abit Kv7 mobo, 1gig of DDR400 and a Radeon 9800 pro. Can't run BoB on it, I think... nor can I keep anything for a future rig (besides RAM).

what I intend to buy:

Athlon X2 3800+ AM2 Socket
Asus MN2 SLI Deluxe AM2 Socket
BFG GeForce 7600 GT
2 gig PC 5400 DDR2 dual-channel

if that can't run BoB fairly well, I give up =)

08-03-2006, 08:46 PM
You will be in the same boat as some, and better than others because of having a dual core proc. No matter what we have today, if you could build a rig with the fastest best technology out today, you will still only be able to run BoB on reduced settings. We all will. BoB will be like FB was when it was released. It took a couple years after FB was released before anyone could boast that they could run the game all out. With the list of components you mentioned, you will also be able to run BoB in lower settings. The dual core proc will be of a great benefit as BoB will utilize dual core procs. Those with single cores, like myself, will take a bit of a hit. No one should build for BoB today. Just get the best you can get for today and be happy. And it looks like you are going to get fantastic components and have a new rig, current with todays technologies. But if you could get her to upgrade that 7600GT to a 7900GT, you would definately be better off for down the road. But the 7600GT is still a great card, don't misunderstand me. It is just that the 7900GT is a better card and the price difference just makes good sense to go with it instead. That is, if you can talk her into it. HEHE

But CONGRATS m8! Looks like you are going to have quite possibly one of the hottest, best gaming rigs in your neck of the woods (so to speak) m8!

08-03-2006, 11:05 PM

thx for the quick replies!

And yes, if I made myself misunderstood, that's exactly my aim: to get the best I can get for today and my budget. Upgrading for BoB is going along with it.

I chose the 7600 GT cuz it's probably the easiest part to be sold in a possible future situation ( sold to have it's place taken by a 7900 GT or any greater card =) ), and till there I'm still up with a reliable card. Also, another 7600 GT in SLI configuration would boost performance skyhigh, according to what Ive seen in benchmarks. So this is the least of evils...

Ive pretty much made my mind, dunno why but I was thinking the AM2 Socket was only good for servers and stuff.. =P

Once again, thank you all for your support!