PDA

View Full Version : New Osprey Book

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Have to wait till November for it unfortunately, but should be good. LaGG and Lavochkin Aces of WWII. Anyone who's read these titles know that they're generally very good - lots of photos, good text about 40 colour profiles and focused enough to give a fair amount of detail. Ironically the only one I've read that has disappointed me is Soviet Aces of WWII - far too vague, half a dozen pages on the Murmansk Hurricanes flown by RAF (nice, but this is SOVIET aces), and ditto on the Normandie-Nieman Group.
Anyway, high hopes for this one - details here:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S6097~ser=ACE

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Have to wait till November for it unfortunately, but should be good. LaGG and Lavochkin Aces of WWII. Anyone who's read these titles know that they're generally very good - lots of photos, good text about 40 colour profiles and focused enough to give a fair amount of detail. Ironically the only one I've read that has disappointed me is Soviet Aces of WWII - far too vague, half a dozen pages on the Murmansk Hurricanes flown by RAF (nice, but this is SOVIET aces), and ditto on the Normandie-Nieman Group.
Anyway, high hopes for this one - details here:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S6097~ser=ACE

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 08:07 PM
I enjoy this series of books. I have about about ten of them. They are very well done. Often on Amazon you can get about 10% off with free shipping. Not bad.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 03:02 AM
Just picked up German Aces of the Eastern front so far im impressed

"Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman. It was my view that no kill was worth the life of a wingman. . . . Pilots in my unit who lost wingmen on this basis were prohibited from leading a [section]. They were made to fly as wingman, instead."
Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann "Karaya One"