PDA

View Full Version : Will floating debree stay forever?

nx02nx02nx02
01-31-2005, 04:36 PM
If We blow up a ship and a piece of debree is floating in the water will it stay there throughout the entire campaign?

Or will it disappear to save memory?

Same question for sunk ships?

In shallow parts of water where you can see the bottom, if you sink a ship there will it stay there throughout the entire campaign?

nx02nx02nx02
01-31-2005, 04:36 PM
If We blow up a ship and a piece of debree is floating in the water will it stay there throughout the entire campaign?

Or will it disappear to save memory?

Same question for sunk ships?

In shallow parts of water where you can see the bottom, if you sink a ship there will it stay there throughout the entire campaign?

stevenwhiting
01-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Don't know yet. I think some sunked ships will stay though, but no1 is sure.

blue_76
01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
well, it would take speculation.. but most likely, debree will not remain for very long, especially not for the whole campaign. this would certainly take too many computer resources and i would think the dev team would not make that mistake.

jeroen-79
01-31-2005, 07:23 PM
You'd only need to remember where you sunk a ship and perhaps it's type or how it was damaged.
6 to 10 bytes per ship would do it.

The debris seen on the screen would only need to be rendered when the player gets close to it.
So when the player is far away the debrisfield is just a positionmarker and when the player approaches it it is unpacked to visible debris.

It would be a bit more work if you want the debris to follow a current but it wouldn't need to be updated 30 times per second.

But keeping debris 'alive' for 5 years is a bit pointless.
They would disperse in reality and I see little value in revisiting the remains of a ship I sunk years ago.

Tomcat41
02-01-2005, 01:28 AM
i am not skilled enough to sink anything anyway so i dont care http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bertgang
02-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Debris at sea, soon or later, will become garbage on the beach.

When you hit a wreck on ocean's bottom, you can't know, as you're already dead.

A ship sunk in shallow waters could stay here forever but, sometimes, it could be totally demolished or even refloated by enemy choice; difficult to say what will happen.

Bulwark_
02-01-2005, 04:57 AM
What about oil slicks from damaged or sinking ships? That would be interesting to see. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Poacher886a
02-01-2005, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
When you hit a wreck on ocean's bottom, you can't know, as you're already dead.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but you could see it via the external camera and that would be great!!!

blue_76
02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
I know this was once asked.. but can't remember the answer.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif
but, will the coloration of the ocean vary? for example, the atlantic is different than the Mediterranean, the black sea.. etc.?

finchOU
02-01-2005, 04:49 PM
hmm? So will different ocean (water) colors (and visiblity) be modeled? I think an airplane could spot a submarine submerged(close to surface) in the Caribean a lot easier than the North atlantic.

finchOU
02-01-2005, 05:11 PM
**** you beat me too it hehe!

blue_76
02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
i am known for my.. psychic abilities hehe

HeibgesU999
02-01-2005, 08:39 PM
If one of my crewman spits off the bridge into the ocean, will the spit float along with the current and end up on the beach somewhere.

And when someone uses the head, will the turd make its way across the the ocean blue.

nx02nx02nx02
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
edit

nx02nx02nx02
02-01-2005, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
If one of my crewman spits off the bridge into the ocean, will the spit float along with the current and end up on the beach somewhere.

And when someone uses the head, will the turd make its way across the the ocean blue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was dumb. Back on topic Heibges.

TASKFORCE1x1
02-02-2005, 12:14 AM
I cant see debris staying forever due to massive memory resources being used. Would be good to have ships stay though for the duration of the war so they can be sunk in harbor trapping the enemy or the enemy could used this as a controllable anti sub shield like what was done in Scapa Flow. Reason I want to see ships remain is when hopefully DC2 can come out maybe some human players could make use of this in a attack/defend mission maybe. Maybe possible if we could mod it in also. Only way around screen clutter that I know of is to program DrawPriorityOrder of objects near and far.

bertgang
02-02-2005, 04:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TASKFORCE1x1:
Would be good to have ships stay though for the duration of the war so they can be sunk in harbor trapping the enemy ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In such case, I think that the enemy will make everything to remove the obstacle as soon as possible; you can neutralze his harbours in that way only for few days.