PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Dgen tricks

horseback
01-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm doing the offline dynamic campaign for a 109F-2 over the Leningrad Front, and lately (specifically since the last patch), every mission generated seems to place my flight over the heaviest concentrations of AAA in the area at low to medium altitudes. Basically, the object of the mission seems to be to "fly over Leningrad with no reasonable military objective and get shot to pieces."

For seven straight missions, my flight has been routed over heavy flak concentrations, usually detouring from a logically direct course in order be put in jeopardy from those unreasonably (and historically incorrect) accurate AI guns.

In order to save my unit unnecessary casualties, I've taken to editing the missions heavily in the full mission builder to go around these things, but this spoils any surprises that might occur, and destroys the immersion I had been enjoying up to this point.

On top of this, I've noticed that the AI planes are back to doing the impossible again, seeming to stop dead in mid-air, diving from high altitude without losing their elevator effectiveness even when going at speeds my (same type) plane breaks up at, and being always able to out accellerate me from an even start.

Tonite I had an I-16 about treetop level divert from being chased down by my ai wingies (who had already managed to kill all the speed from a 4km dive) long enough to pop his nose up and spray my oil cooler in a headon shot before continuing his headlong flight 600m below me. I went into the FMB and determined that this particular character was an 'average' pilot.

Average pilot my ***. Has anyone else noted this kind of thing lately?

I'm giving serious thought to going back a couple of patches, because the last two don't seem to have worked too well, between the USN fighters getting porked and this latest debacle with the dgen and the ai performance.

cheers

horseback

horseback
01-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm doing the offline dynamic campaign for a 109F-2 over the Leningrad Front, and lately (specifically since the last patch), every mission generated seems to place my flight over the heaviest concentrations of AAA in the area at low to medium altitudes. Basically, the object of the mission seems to be to "fly over Leningrad with no reasonable military objective and get shot to pieces."

For seven straight missions, my flight has been routed over heavy flak concentrations, usually detouring from a logically direct course in order be put in jeopardy from those unreasonably (and historically incorrect) accurate AI guns.

In order to save my unit unnecessary casualties, I've taken to editing the missions heavily in the full mission builder to go around these things, but this spoils any surprises that might occur, and destroys the immersion I had been enjoying up to this point.

On top of this, I've noticed that the AI planes are back to doing the impossible again, seeming to stop dead in mid-air, diving from high altitude without losing their elevator effectiveness even when going at speeds my (same type) plane breaks up at, and being always able to out accellerate me from an even start.

Tonite I had an I-16 about treetop level divert from being chased down by my ai wingies (who had already managed to kill all the speed from a 4km dive) long enough to pop his nose up and spray my oil cooler in a headon shot before continuing his headlong flight 600m below me. I went into the FMB and determined that this particular character was an 'average' pilot.

Average pilot my ***. Has anyone else noted this kind of thing lately?

I'm giving serious thought to going back a couple of patches, because the last two don't seem to have worked too well, between the USN fighters getting porked and this latest debacle with the dgen and the ai performance.

cheers

horseback

FI_Willie
01-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm re-flying a 109F4 campaign. I chose the rank of Major so I could take my 3 guys and go where I wanted. I have noticed the AI getting a lot meaner, especially the bomber gunners. I made a 530kmh curving approach at one bomber, trying to come in on his 9 from his 11. 3 tracers from a waist gunner went over my head and the rest went in my bird from 700mtrs!! I saved the track and watched it.

Flak hasn't been much of an issue in this campaign so far.

Lt.Davis
01-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Horseback,

I think you know DCG rite... since your posts is over 1.5k.I think using with Paul's DCG (it's 3.07 now!) you will really get suprise even your GPRS (map icon on) is on. Just remember to set chabges of engagement is 100%.

Regards!

sunflower1
01-24-2005, 09:34 AM
My first two recent Sturmovik campaign missions resulted in 3 single seat Sturmoviks having to cover 90km against 2 seperate attacks by two diferent 109 flights. Without fighter support. A few reflys and I got it done, but my fighter support loiters about 5km away and when I drag the 109's that direction, they just move further away and I lose touch with my flight. I'm battling DGEN, not the enemy. Two missions complete and I've had to down a 110 and 3 109's just to advance. Realistic?

Is learning Lowengren's generator equivalent to taking a 4 credit hour class or can I get started with it in a weekend?

Lt.Davis
01-24-2005, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is learning Lowengren's generator equivelent to taking a 4 credit hour class or can I get started with it in a weekend? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After you install DCG, go mode: click auto-generation (single player career) and Replace in game generator. They you go in game, as usual select the nation you want to play and planes. That's all!

Unless you want to creat coop-mission or dog fight map. And it's quiet friendly user (IMHO).

go: http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php to view the explanation...

The best part is you can change back to original after you unclick replace in game generator. Try it! it's good!!

sunflower1
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm so there.....

ZG77_Lignite
01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Horseback, if your up for FMB editing, don't mess with every mission, edit the template file (for example, Leningrad41red.mis). The Leningrad campaigns were created during one of the 'off' periods for Flak, so a LOT of flak was added to make historically dangerous areas, well, more dangerous. However, you are correct in that now these areas are simply painful.

I've changed my own around a bit, but have not struck on a quality experience yet (for Leningrad). I believe GregSM (check at SimHQ, or he posts here a bit) is also about to release a much improved Leningrad template. There seem to be quite a lot of mistakes in the Leningrad templates, or more accurately maybe, a lot of compromises were made that no longer necessarily apply.

My biggest gripe about Leningrad is the (seemingly) ridiculous airfield location(s) that the Germans start from. I don't think even short range Bf109's needed to start right on the front lines in order to cover a sufficient combat radius (god knows a FW190 or a He-111 wouldn't). Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to reliably relocate active airfields in Dgen yet.