PDA

View Full Version : WarBirds II?

msalama
02-15-2006, 12:16 AM
How's this sim? The screenies didn't look too bad, but how are the FMs?

Thx for your opinions, gents http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ruy Horta
02-15-2006, 07:56 AM
WBII is a standalone game based on WBIII, which you can download for free and test.

Warbirds brings back a lot of good memories and some disappointments, but if you like Massive Multi Player, you should give it a try.

The 3d models are somewhat less detailed than Il2/FB, but still very good, cockpits are less impressive, but acceptable.

When WB first appeared the graphics was of secondary importance, the flight models were what carried the sim combined with the 24/7 multi-player enviorment.

The addition of special events, massive air battles which were mission orientated, made it something very special.

When I played WB we had battles of +100 players in the air. The difference between 32 or 100+ might not be big until you realize that while you are bouncing a full squadron of Spits, there may be a similar Squadron waiting up sun to surprise the living **** out of you.

Special events were very good, very intense.

Unfortunately WB3 came together with IL2/FB and a shift in my interest and game focus, so the monthly fee in combination with the limitations of the new version and an overall superior competing product meant that WB simply wasn't worth it anymore.

That's when I quit WB after 7 years. Still miss the community and the special events though ... but just not enough to try out the latest version.

EDIT:

Ah, the flight models were being dumbed down at one stage, but that trend may have been reversed. WB was known at some stage as one of the most difficult sims, but that certainly wasn't so with the release of WB3.