PDA

View Full Version : Help about icons

TIBUSH
06-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi all:
I prefer flying without icons, but sometimes I have to play with them on because the screem is too small to be able to see the enemy before having him at my six.
THE PROBLEM: I activate the icons just to find the enemy, but I would like that the icon didn't give the distance of the plane. How can I do it?
There are three chances of changing icons, but the distance of the plane is allways on. Any way to have some icon without the distance information?
Thanks in advance.

TIBUSH
06-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi all:
I prefer flying without icons, but sometimes I have to play with them on because the screem is too small to be able to see the enemy before having him at my six.
THE PROBLEM: I activate the icons just to find the enemy, but I would like that the icon didn't give the distance of the plane. How can I do it?
There are three chances of changing icons, but the distance of the plane is allways on. Any way to have some icon without the distance information?
Thanks in advance.

Grue_
06-14-2005, 05:34 AM
You need to use the mp_dotrange command.

I've pasted a load of text below I found on my drive but I can't remember who I copied it from.

MP_DOTRANGE

To activate the console, go into the chat window and type ">"

All information entered into the chat window will be treated as console commands until you backspace over the ">" character.

You can also toggle in and out of console mode by pressing Shift-Tab.

There are a number of parameters available for the mp_dotrange command. They are:

FRIENDLY & FOE - applies to friendly or enemy units. To apply the same settings to both sides, omit this parameter.
DOT - Specifies the range at which the dot becomes visible.
NAME - Range at which Pilot name becomes visible.
COLOR - Range at which the icon takes on the army colour.
TYPE - How far the aircraft type information is displayed.
RANGE - Distance at which range information is displayed.
ID - Where the aircraft ID numbers become visible.

This command is case sensitive. "mp_dotrange" must be in lowercase and the parameters are in uppercase. Range is specified in km after each parameter, and I believe that the minimum distance you can specify is 0.05km. The default distances are DOT 16km and all other information 6km.

>mp_dotrange DEFAULT Restore the icons to the default distances.
>mp_dotrange Display the current icon settings in the console.

There is also a way to shortcut these longwinded versions of the mp_dotrange command. In your IL2 directory there a file called rcu. Note that this file has no extension, and after modifying it you need to ensure that notepad hasn't been too helpful and added a .txt extension to it. In this file you can set aliases for long commands you use frequently. An alias is a shorthand version of the command. The default version of the rcu file contains the following text.

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 100

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

I don't know what the first line does. I think the second tells the IL2 console to echo the contents of the chat window. The 3rd activates aliases. The forth tells IL2 how many lines of chat to remember in the game chatlog.

The line @alias a alias sets "a" as a shorthand for "alias". The two following lines use the alias "a" to set "h" as an alias for "history" and "s" as an alias for "show".
If you add the following lines to your rcu. file, you will be able to apply any of the above icon settings with a 3 or 4 character command instead of typing the whole schemozzle quoted above each time you start a game.

@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

With these lines in your rcu. file typing ">tul" in the chat window will activate my version of the icon settings. Typing ">v2ff" will activate the second set of settings mentioned.
Typing ">v1fr" will activate the friendly icon settings in the first scheme, and ">v1fo" will activate the foe settings in the first scheme.

My Settings

DOT 15
NAME 0.005
COLOR 0.005
TYPE (FRIENDLY) 0.005
TYPE (FOE) 1.5
RANGE 0.005
ID 0.005