PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want a PF Standalone server?

lucas_valentine
01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I've taken quite a bit of trouble setting up a Standalone Dedicated PF server. I originally wanted to set it up using Ubi.com because I have being using Ubi.com for two years without any problems and I'm fairly happy with its easy-to-use interface. When I'd finished setting everything up I found that low and behold Ubi.com has provided me with no way of launching a dedicated server from the PF Standalone lobby. Marvellous. Anyway, I thought, all is not lost, I'll just goto Hypper Lobby and Host there. So I did. I created a server and waited. No one came. And I waited. No one came. I spammed the chat - No one came. In the end I convinced a couple of nice guys to check my connection was okay, which they did and it was fine...server runs nicely. And after talking to them for a bit and a couple of others I found out that no-one is interested in the Standalone game, everyone is happy with merged.

So I ask the question - does anyone out there want a Standalone PF dedicated server? At present I'm having to host on Ubi.com by creating a room that is named after my IP address. That's not too bad but most people there don't understand and sit in the room shouting about when the game is gonna start! I have a few regular customers, but I usually end up with about 5 or 6 people at most on a server which can handle 3 or 4 times this amount...a little dissapointing.

So...do you want it or not. If not then I shall have to host a dedicated merged game instead, which is a shame 'cos I actually prefer PF standalone.

lucas_valentine
01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I've taken quite a bit of trouble setting up a Standalone Dedicated PF server. I originally wanted to set it up using Ubi.com because I have being using Ubi.com for two years without any problems and I'm fairly happy with its easy-to-use interface. When I'd finished setting everything up I found that low and behold Ubi.com has provided me with no way of launching a dedicated server from the PF Standalone lobby. Marvellous. Anyway, I thought, all is not lost, I'll just goto Hypper Lobby and Host there. So I did. I created a server and waited. No one came. And I waited. No one came. I spammed the chat - No one came. In the end I convinced a couple of nice guys to check my connection was okay, which they did and it was fine...server runs nicely. And after talking to them for a bit and a couple of others I found out that no-one is interested in the Standalone game, everyone is happy with merged.

So I ask the question - does anyone out there want a Standalone PF dedicated server? At present I'm having to host on Ubi.com by creating a room that is named after my IP address. That's not too bad but most people there don't understand and sit in the room shouting about when the game is gonna start! I have a few regular customers, but I usually end up with about 5 or 6 people at most on a server which can handle 3 or 4 times this amount...a little dissapointing.

So...do you want it or not. If not then I shall have to host a dedicated merged game instead, which is a shame 'cos I actually prefer PF standalone.

Philipscdrw
01-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Why is standalone better than merged?

And what is this server called?

lucas_valentine
01-26-2005, 05:38 PM
It's not necesarily better - I just prefer it. And the server does not have a name at the moment 'cos at the moment its not running anywhere where it needs one.

Osirisx9
01-26-2005, 06:05 PM
S~ Valantine. Warbirds of Prey has been hosting a Stand Alone Pacific Fighters server on HL for the past month or so. Please check out this thread. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=3281094862. This thread might help you too as far as deciding yo pursue this. Anyway good luck and wish you the best.

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)

JFC_Warhawk
01-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Just do what MD Smoky does...throw the IP to the server in the room name...they will come.

Crash_Moses
01-26-2005, 08:28 PM
I think that there are plenty of people who would enjoy a standalone PF server (myself included). I did a quick search on the Hyperlobby forums and found this (plus a few others):

http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1187&highlight=pacific+fighters

I think the two main reasons why the standalone PF servers aren't doing well on HL are:

1. HL is dominated by servers running the merged install. Players running just PF are either on UBI or connecting to standalone servers via IP. Since they never visit HL they don't know the standalone servers exist. Just gotta get the word out. JFC_Warhawk's suggestion sounds like a good start.

2. The players who visit HL are running the merged install. In order for them to join a PF standalone server they need to A) keep the standalone version installed on their PC along with the merged install (not sure how many do this. I do.) and B) rename the standalone PF executable to il2fb.exe and point the HL software to a different directory (disconnect from HL but don't close it. Choose the CONNECT / SELECT GAME menu. Select Forgotten Battles. Press CTL + SHF and click connect. When the Correct Installation Path window pops up, enter the path and location of the executable, select save and then connect).

I don't know about y'all but the above would be a royal pain in the butt to switch back and forth between the two games for someone who wanted to play both types of servers.

There aren't a lot of the merged install servers on HL running the PTO (at least not at full real) and I, for one, would probably spend most of my time on one if there were enough players to make it fun. I betcha there are a lot of other folks out there who would do the same.

Sooooooo.......I see a couple of solutions. Either wait until HL supports Pacific Fighters standalone or start a massive ad campaign to draw attention to the standalone servers on HL. Or both. Both sounds good.

So there.

S!

CM

ReligiousZealot
01-27-2005, 12:44 AM
Seeing as I'm using PF standalone, I wouldn't mind a dedicated server catering to my standalone needs. Some time ago I traded in my IL2 to get BF 1942...the dumbest move I ever made.

Speedfellow
01-27-2005, 01:49 AM
I for one would like to see more standalone servers. Although I have both merged and standalone there are quite a few guys I know from other flight sims who have been interested enough to buy PF although they never bought the IL2 series. I am sure there are and will be lot of people in the same situation that dont want to go out and buy the whole lot just yet.
What we should be doing is promoting standalone aswell as merged because this is where the 'fresh blood' will be coming from.

fluup
01-27-2005, 05:38 AM
I'll visit your server tonight. I swa that room with the IP in it all the time but I was waiting for that hawaii map some other guys are running. Though they locked it with a password last night. So I'll come to your server. Yes, we are in need of standalone dedicated servers!!

lucas_valentine
01-27-2005, 07:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JFC_Warhawk:
Just do what MD Smoky does...throw the IP to the server in the room name...they will come. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats exactly what I do at the moment. If you go to Ubi of an evening you will often see two room names that are IP addresses...MD Smoky's and mine. I've been on his a couple of times, but he suffers the same problems as me...People don't understand how to start a game using direct IP, although his server tends to be full 'cos of the other MD guys. I had a go putting the server on ASE last night, but it suffers from the same problem as HL...it's setup for IL2fb and doesn't have a seperate PF lobby.

If anyone wants to give it a go, log onto Ubi tonight (British tonight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) to find out my IP address. The map I'm using is Hawaii and it's a non historic dogfight. I know this will dissapoint alot of you hardcore simmers out there, but my settings are not full real and the plane sets are the same for both sides. Basically I cater for the masses...I've set difficulty to a setting which is appealing to both novices and the more skilled playes. Ammo and fuel are limited and stalls are turned on (ever tried flying without stalls...ugh! Horrible!) Cockpit is not always on. I myself have TrackIR so I always fly Cockpit on, but I know many novices find it difficult with Cockpit always on. The map is fairly big and bases are spread widely so there is some flight time to the combat zones. There are also plenty of naval targets like carriers and others ships for those who like that kind of thing. Basically, its a work in progress and any sensible suggestions I will listen too...although I'm not going to down-grade the difficulty in any way. If you wanna have a look I'll put the server up at about 19.00 tonight(Greenwich Meantime). I would let you know my IP now, but it changes every now and again and it might be different tonight!

lucas_valentine
01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Well, that was successful! Server was up for four hours and two people came in, lol. Well I guess that answered my question for me! No-one wants a PF standalone dedicated server.

fluup
01-28-2005, 12:55 AM
I very much want a standalone dedicated server. I think I joined your server last night. Was it hawaii where the Axis (blue) start on the other side of the map, on a carrier?

I loved the server, it was just that the map was too big so I left after about 30 minutes.

We should sign a petition or something for Ubi to let em know that their ubi.com server listing sucks. Oh an that we need the ability of hosting behind routers, the ability to host dedicated servers etc.

I mailed them several times already but they just act like their nose bleed. Ubi.com says they'll answer within 48 hours, my 3 emails took 3 to 4 weeks to be answered.

ok I'm getting offtopic here.

fluup
01-28-2005, 12:57 AM
oh btw, keep hosting man, once the people know they can join your server through IP and once they know the pings are optimal I'm sure the number of visiters will grow!

And your map wasn't too big, it was just too big for 5 players.

lucas_valentine
01-28-2005, 04:16 AM
I'm not sure if it was my server you were on...whats your in-game call-sign? It does have carriers but the bases are fairly close together and some are far apart so the map is kinda big and small at the same time. You are right though....it is big for 5 players...if more people would turn up then it would be more fun....I can probably handle about 16 people altogether. Thanks Fluup for your encouragement and your support but its kind of a waste of time doing this if no-one is gonna turn up. I might aswell go back to hosting through Ubi on the same machine as I play - it may not be as smooth but at least my server is always full.

fluup
01-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah you can try ubi.com with 12 players then instead of 16. My ingame nick yesterday was "Furnie Fluup". I can also recall a "Kip" flying there. I had a spitfire with some yellow markings: This plane here (screenshot was taken on the server I played on, so maybe you can see if it was yours)
http://www.border-patrol.nl/junk/fluupplane.jpg

HotelBushranger
01-28-2005, 06:16 AM
I just tried the Ubi.com lobbies, but whenever I tried to join it said something like I needed Pacific Fighters Dogfight? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

CrazyMarlin_PR
01-28-2005, 06:37 AM
I was sad today to read that Osiris has changed his server over to a merged server. I think we definitely need more dedicated stand-alone servers. We've been slowly geeting our squadmates from another game into PF, and none of them have IL-2...so, they will all be flying stand-alone.

The server Osiris had set up was perfect, fairly close runways, but not so close that you were in the other guy's face right off. The best part of his server was that he had set up victory conditions for both sides, so the game was objective based, not just dogfighting. With all the bombers and ground attack aircraft in PF, its great to have a reason to use them...and it really created some nice, tense games, that were very close.

Perhaps the key to getting these servers more activity is approaching squad leaders and setting up some "events". Perhaps even starting a website that would have contact information and other "news you can use". Surely our squad isn't the only squad that flies PF stand-alone? We get 3-4 squads involved, set a day and time, and they tell all of the folks in their group. It might take a couple of weeks, but we could probably get some pretty big games going. And, once that happens, word spreads to folks outside squads and they'll get bigger still. I represent our squad(Predators (http://www.predatorsquad.com)) and we'd be more than happy to participate in something like that. However, I think the game server would have to be more than just a dogfight server. A server with victory conditions and even rotating maps at rounds end would be very attractive...

lucas_valentine
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I'd be happy to make my dedicated server more objective based etc, but I'm pretty new to the dedicated thing and it's not all that easy to set up. I'm not saying I can't, just that I'm still learning! Maybe by the time Ubi.com sort out their **** multiplayer service so I can run a ded. server on it, I will have work out how to make the game more interesting! But at present it still boils down to the same thing - 90% of players want merged games and who can blame them? I've been flying since FB and I love the merged version, but I personally am fed up with La7s, Yak 3s, Me262s, et cetera and I enjoy the fresh new planes of PF Standalone. For most people PF is an expansion pack and they are not gonna go out of their way to cater for a tiny minority, so I expect Hypper Lobby, ASE and Ubi will have no future plans for setting up any support for PF Standalone.

CrazyMarlin_PR
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Perhaps we need to do something to make the stand-alone community a bit more concentrated. There are quite a few folks out there flying PF stand alone. If we created an atmosphere that included tournaments, events, news, whatever, all surrounding the stand-alone version of the game, we could create a nice sized community. It would never be as large as the merged community, but the game is still young and if we start now, we could build it into something pretty good. If we had a centralized website, we could list dedicated servers there, and bypass ubi and HL altogether.

Drumming up support might take some work, we'd have to hit the ubi lobbies and talk it up, talk it up during games, etc. Same thing in the few HL stand-alone servers. Again, it might take time, but in the end would certainly be worth the time and effort.

I'm not a webmaster, but I know my way around some basic web design. You have a dedicated server. I have squadmates that are more than willing to help out, and I am sure there are more out there... Perhaps we ought to forum some sort of Stand-Alone grouplike the Pacific Fighters Stand-Alone Association(PFSAA). "We may stand-alone, but we never fly alone..." Whatever...

Point is, there are plenty of people out there flying PF by itself. If given a place, we could make a pretty good community.

Osirisx9
01-28-2005, 04:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyMarlin_PR:
Perhaps we need to do something to make the stand-alone community a bit more concentrated. There are quite a few folks out there flying PF stand alone. If we created an atmosphere that included tournaments, events, news, whatever, all surrounding the stand-alone version of the game, we could create a nice sized community. It would never be as large as the merged community, but the game is still young and if we start now, we could build it into something pretty good. If we had a centralized website, we could list dedicated servers there, and bypass ubi and HL altogether.

Drumming up support might take some work, we'd have to hit the ubi lobbies and talk it up, talk it up during games, etc. Same thing in the few HL stand-alone servers. Again, it might take time, but in the end would certainly be worth the time and effort.

I'm not a webmaster, but I know my way around some basic web design. You have a dedicated server. I have squadmates that are more than willing to help out, and I am sure there are more out there... Perhaps we ought to forum some sort of Stand-Alone grouplike the Pacific Fighters Stand-Alone Association(PFSAA). "We may stand-alone, but we never fly alone..." Whatever...

Point is, there are plenty of people out there flying PF by itself. Ig given a place, we could make a pretty good community. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you guys need a home for your forums Warbirds of Prey will set one up if you like. Again this will be free of charge. There you guys can gather and do what you need to do to get this thing going.

RAF238thOsiris
www.warbirdsofprey.org (http://www.warbirdsofprey.org)