PDA

View Full Version : corsair top speed not being reached



Diamondaxe
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi,

I'm new to getting the complex engine management scene down and I'm having trouble with it. I fly the corsair almost exclusively and I can't reach the 400+ mph speed of the f4u. I've tested it out at 6000 meters 100% prop pitch 110% throttle supercharger on stage three radiator closed. I'm not the best at trimming my plane but that's not it I'm guessing as I'm only getting to 300 Mph.....mixture set to 100% by the way...Any pointers?

Diamondaxe

berg417448
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Read through this thread and see if it helps you out any. AndyJWest has posted a nice Indicated Airspeed vs True airspeed chart


http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...3110283/m/4481038618 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4481038618)

Diamondaxe
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the response,

I do the wonder woman view thing and use the speed bar to no avail. I think vought sent me a lemon plane...i want to trade it in for a 1-C...(my test was done with the 1-D by the way)

AndyJWest
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
The speed shown in the speed bar is indicated airspeed again, not true airspeed. There is a speed indicator dial below this that shows groundspeed, but I think it is in Km/h so you'd need to divide this by 1.61 to get mph.

Any external load will slow a plane down quite a bit, so test it 'clean'. Also, you need to fly straight and level for a minute or two at least before the speed stabilises.

According to IL-2 compare, the F4U's reach maximum speed at about 7000m, but this will vary slightly depending on the map and weather. Fuel load should'n make much difference at this altitude, though it does have progressively more effect on maximum speed with increasing altitude.

M_Gunz
12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I believe that the Crimea Summer map is closest to standard atmosphere, it is accepted for tests below 10km alt.

Make an ntrk (online type track) and if there is still a problem then people will be able to see if anything else
is the cause. There are planes too slow by some kph for some charts. The goal was accuracy to 5% which at 400mph
is 20mph. Hellcat is a disappointment to a number of players and not the only one so.

ADD: You should be able to top 420mph TAS in the F4U-1D at 7km alt.

megalopsuche
12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Diamondaxe:
Hi,

I'm new to getting the complex engine management scene down and I'm having trouble with it. I fly the corsair almost exclusively and I can't reach the 400+ mph speed of the f4u. I've tested it out at 6000 meters 100% prop pitch 110% throttle supercharger on stage three radiator closed. I'm not the best at trimming my plane but that's not it I'm guessing as I'm only getting to 300 Mph.....mixture set to 100% by the way...Any pointers?

Diamondaxe

If you're getting to 300mph at ~20,000ft (slightly higher than 6km), add on 2% for every thousand ft of altitude to know your TAS.

So, (300mph*.02*20)+300 = 420mph.

Diamondaxe
12-23-2009, 09:55 AM
ah ha!!!! I thought I was supposed to be looking at the little red numbers now I see I needed to look at the dial...so I was able to reach 669 km/hr after a minute or two of flying with no increase really being visible. My hands were off the joystick and flight was level....map was crimea with empty load out and 25% fuel....This speed is about 415 mph....is this the speed I should be reaching?? it still seems a little slow. As I understand it the F4U should go over 440 mph. My source is wikipedia so I am taking that number skeptically...thanks for all the help this forum is a great resource....

Erkki_M
12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1/corsaira.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

JtD
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Diamondaxe:
...As I understand it the F4U should go over 440 mph...

That would be the F4U-4, in game we have three variants (six if you count the RN Corsairs) of the historically more important but less well performing F4U-1.

Diamondaxe
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
ah yes...I thought the -1d was another way to say -4....got it...wish we had the -4 in game

VW-IceFire
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Diamondaxe:
ah yes...I thought the -1d was another way to say -4....got it...wish we had the -4 in game
So does everyone... but it was different enough that there wasn't time for it to be included. If given the choice between the two the F4U-1 is more important overall.

Good to hear you are getting the correct speed. The whole IAS vs TAS thing throws pretty much everyone for a loop at least once http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It did me for a while too!

Swivet
12-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Diamondaxe:
ah ha!!!! I thought I was supposed to be looking at the little red numbers now I see I needed to look at the dial...so I was able to reach 669 km/hr after a minute or two of flying with no increase really being visible. My hands were off the joystick and flight was level....map was crimea with empty load out and 25% fuel....This speed is about 415 mph....is this the speed I should be reaching?? it still seems a little slow. As I understand it the F4U should go over 440 mph. My source is wikipedia so I am taking that number skeptically...thanks for all the help this forum is a great resource....

In the heat of battle it's sometimes hard to look at the dial. I added "[Mods]
SpeedbarTAS=1" to my conf.ini file and now i can toggle thru my speed bar and see the true airspeed. If you dont want to use the dial...I for one have no time to zoom in and look at the dial when someones on my 6 or i'm in a dive dropping steel.