PDA

View Full Version : Trouble dealing with p-47, p-52, and russian planes

Afromike1
07-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Mostly all of my encounters are with these planes now. In Russian planes I mean the La series and the Yaks. I'm a bf-109 person myself and whenever I fly there is always one of these planes above me and so they BnZ me to death. Or they are really low but the bf-109 sucks badly with dives and so its difficult to properly get a kill. Level fights are also pretty tough because they always seem to go faster and climb better, pretty much destroying whatever advantage the bf-109 should bring to the battlefield.

So anyone have any tips? "In General" can also be answered if some of you don't like talking about 109s.

Schwarz.13
07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Afromike1:
...but the bf-109 sucks badly with dives and so its difficult to properly get a kill. Level fights are also pretty tough because they always seem to go faster and climb better

I think you may be flying your 109 wrong! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Which variant are you talking about or do you mean all the 109s???

Afromike1
07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Schwarz.13:
Which variant are you talking about or do you mean all the 109s???

well, since these planes are usually found in late war category I'm thinking of the k-4 and the g-6/AS

TinyTim
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
You picked a very tough ride for a late war scenarios... Dora-9 would be much better choice.

One advice versus Russian fighters comes to mind: Using your excellent climbing, always try to drag them up into the stratospehere where you can outperform them. Only plane that can cause trouble even up high is Yak-9U (Russian monster). If you get caught by Yak-3s, Yak-9Us or La-7s anywhere lower than 5km, dive and ruuuuun like there is no tomorrow towards nearest friendly or friendly base. Remember, although improved over previous versions, La-7 still has somewhat low breakup speed of about 750kph - if he will follow you to that speed, he will blow up. Bf109 will breakup at more than 830 kph, so you have 80 kph of safety here. Watch out for Yak-9U tho, which can dive to faster speed than La-7, around 800kph!

Also remember that in level run La-7 will eventually catch you, while Yak-9U's max low level speed is about the same as yours, but his overheating properties are much better than yours, so he might catch you eventually.

DKoor
07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
You know what the P-47, P-51 and VVS planes have in common?
They can hit ctrl+e whenever they are lucky enough to spot 109 experte diving on them.

TBH that is pretty much the.... "feature" of just about any plane attacked by seasoned veteran.

DKoor
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
109 is a story for itself... while it is not perhaps the best team plane (in FW-190, P-47 or P-51 sense) it is certainly capable of destroying its oppos efficiently.

As a general rule when you spot human manned aircraft on higher altitude or at level but much faster than you, you should try to run. They have an advantage over you and in many cases you'll end up in dirt if you choose fight.
Return back and stalk someone...

Be warned. That may not be possible on arcade server with open pit - people can easily see you. On closed pit spot someone stalk him and destroy him - works for every aircraft type.
In 109 you have another advantage because you can outturn everything except Spitfire which you really must either surprise or take into vertical to destroy (but I suspect only good stalk really works since they are quite evenly matched in climb only after some time 109 begins to pull out, not really effective in short combats).

When you dive on someone (unsuspected target) pick your patch so that you approach in shallow dive or perfectly yet, dive below him out of range then quickly catch up with him and when you are in firing solution you should be level with him.

M_Gunz
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
If you don't want to dive too far or fast then take some time setting up your run, don't just
jump in with your hair on fire.

If you can dive below the enemy alt and fire while coming up then;
1) he won't see you coming
2) you get a deflection shot through his floor with not much armor or structure to soak up hits

That's a more difficult pass to make but he's highly vulnerable from off-angles.
Dead six shooting.... you need to get really close to penetrate all that or shoot long enough
to blow his tail off.

Well at least the 109 isn't a pig to maneuver at middle to low speeds.

KrashanTopolova
07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
try the BF109F (F for Freidrich). It was the improved version on the BF109E (Emil).

The BF109F was more manouverable than the later series (G Gustav) and K (for Kool I think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif). Anyway the G had the biggest production run and was much heavier and much less manouvrable than the F and E.

No BF109 turns as good as some of the more advanced Allied fighters (a result of having slats to improve low speed manouvring ironically). The German tactics were to hunt in wolfpacks. As Hartmann said if one dog goes after a hare its usualy no result but if there's more than one dog then they've got him. This does not necessarily mean one has to dive and zoom as the enemy is doing to you. Use tactics different to your wingman but never leave your wingman. Hartmann again (paraphrasing): '...[getting into a turn fight] depended on the weather...if there were no clouds we would get up high and dive on the enemy. If there were clouds I would get down low and take advantage.

The more you fight in one aircraft type the poorer the opposition can appear.

tragentsmith
07-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Best tactic : Join friends on Teamspeak channel of your server and find a wingman that can help you. Never fly alone.

And if you can, in late war scenarios, take another plane than the 109 that is the worst you can get in the planeset. (Even the BF110 outturns it at speed above 500 kph).

Brain32
07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Don't let them see you, that's how I fly it(K4) lately and have nice succsess, if you notice they saw you, run away...