PDA

View Full Version : lost gun crew

reumatiib
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't know if this was a glitch, but when I ordered a crash dive my gun crew and officer in charge didn't make it into the boat! I loved it. Because in war accidents do happen!

The only problems I see that may be valid is that as commanders of the U-boat we need more control over the ship.

Question: is it possible to run with electrics on the surface? Likely one can....likely I'm just blind.

The editor seems a bit daunting. Is there a way to zoom in on the editor map? So far I have only been able to zoom in a small bit, not near enough to place ships into docks or small bays.

I think SH3 will be the final PC sub game, since when PS3 and X-box2 comes out I doubt the PC game market will survive at all.

reumatiib
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't know if this was a glitch, but when I ordered a crash dive my gun crew and officer in charge didn't make it into the boat! I loved it. Because in war accidents do happen!

The only problems I see that may be valid is that as commanders of the U-boat we need more control over the ship.

Question: is it possible to run with electrics on the surface? Likely one can....likely I'm just blind.

The editor seems a bit daunting. Is there a way to zoom in on the editor map? So far I have only been able to zoom in a small bit, not near enough to place ships into docks or small bays.

I think SH3 will be the final PC sub game, since when PS3 and X-box2 comes out I doubt the PC game market will survive at all.

Lovo_Kasistan
04-02-2005, 10:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reumatiib:
I don't know if this was a glitch, but when I ordered a crash dive my gun crew and officer in charge didn't make it into the boat! I loved it. Because in war accidents do happen! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was a glitch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Question: is it possible to run with electrics on the surface? Likely one can....likely I'm just blind. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The editor seems a bit daunting. Is there a way to zoom in on the editor map? So far I have only been able to zoom in a small bit, not near enough to place ships into docks or small bays. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Use your mousewheel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think SH3 will be the final PC sub game, since when PS3 and X-box2 comes out I doubt the PC game market will survive at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah right, dream on fanboy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

reumatiib
04-02-2005, 10:36 AM
ok, perhaps I am in the glow of playing the game as a new player and am blinded like others were. It is sad that there is such a lack of control. Those of you who want more sub control should buy a cheap copy of SH2 and load all the patches on the net for it. Sadly though, that game lacked good AI.

Thanks for the tip about the editor.

Darnitz
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
SH2 has ugly graphics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Lovo_Kasistan
04-02-2005, 11:01 AM
SH2 has only scripted missions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

U-49
04-02-2005, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reumatiib:
I think SH3 will be the final PC sub game, since when PS3 and X-box2 comes out I doubt the PC game market will survive at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, yeah okay.

Consoles will always lag behind the raw power to that available on a true PC platform. Once your next gen Xbox and PS3 are available, they'll be dated technology compared to current PC technology at the time of their release. And what's worse is, as PC technology continues to leap way ahead of the new Xbox and PS3, your beloved consoles shall remain frozen in time with their dated technology until the following generation is released years later.

quillan
04-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Reumatiib has a point. Console games sell much better than PC games, as a general rule. That's the reason why so many PC games seem to be either console ports, or developed for PC and console at the same time using the lowest common denominator. The original Half Life game sold 6 million or so copies, making it the best selling PC game of all time. Most PC games are lucky to sell half a million copies. I read recently that VU Games stopped supporting Tribes: Vengeance; it only sold 43,000 copies. Forty three thousand copies, at $50 per, is just over 2 million dollars. Even if the developer/publisher collected every cent of that, it wasn't nearly enough to cover the cost of bringing the game to market.

In my opinion, the continued survival of the PC games market is really going to depend on two things: the growing acceptance of games as mainstream entertainment, and the PC market remaining economically viable. If they can't make money making PC games, they won't do it. Can you really blame them? Personally, I think they're going about it the wrong way, but still. They spend too much money on advertising, driving the costs much higher than they would otherwise be.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
PS & XBox can never replace PCs for gaming. The customership is completely different.

Gamers with PCs search for gamedepth, long-term-entertainment and are willing to spend hours to get used to a game.

Console gamers just want quick fun, if possible together with friends on a single screen.

I doubt new technology will change that. The only problem in this is to convince game-producers to build games based on this difference. With more superficial clones of basically the same game (RTS-games, low-realism-action racing and flying "sims", etc) the market will shift further towards consoles, though.

It's visible though, that games like IL2 & SH3 shift the producers interest back to more complex games. Hopefully this will be a good example....

Johnny_JG2
04-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I work on video games for the PS2, PSP, and the coming PS3 now. I work for SCEA. I'm telling you, noone at Sony thinks the PS3 will take over the PC game industry. There is simply no way it's gonna happen.

DEFkon2005
04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
I'd have to agree, and i think the pc market has been slipping down toward cush depth little by little each year.

Seems like just about everything these days are sequels or rip offs, signs that companies aren't willing to really, invent new franchises, explore revolutionary designs,or even invest in niche markets. A quick look at gamestops "new pc games" lists 2 MMORPG's, 6 sequels, and a rip-off, or redo.

And if we look at PS2 for example, while although there still alot of sequels, there's undoubtedly a wider variety of genere's and titles. Even if the games don't apeal to you personally its still a clear sign of a healther industry. I don't think that the PS3, or the Xbox 2 will mark the end of PC games, but it'll certainly start a time when the technology gap will shift in the favor of the console. Not just visually (which would probably only be for about a year or so) but i'm sure all the new consoles will have some advanced networking ability which traditionally has been the PC's strength. I think that everytime a new generation of consoles are released, it take a bite out of the PC market... and it'd be the time between the next gen, and the next, next gen stuff that could really put the PC game industry in a pinch.