PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 5

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I know there is a lot of SH fans here so I thought I would pass this along to anyone who was unaware there was a SH5 coming.

This is the first trailer I have seen http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...-silent-hunter/54344 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc2k9-debut-silent-hunter/54344) Take dive early 2010!

The writing and voice acting in the trailer was horrible in my opinion. Not too mention English speaking Germans. But the game itself looks pretty good nonetheless.

S!

Treetop64
08-17-2009, 10:56 PM
An opinion shared. Hope we get proper convoys this time around.

doogerie
08-18-2009, 02:00 AM
ah cool i have enver tryed it but i want to any demos that i can look at? I one point thougth dude shouldent this be in off topic?

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-18-2009, 02:22 AM
I one point thougth dude shouldent this be in off topic?

What is the difference? I been here long enough to remember when most topics were very much on topic. These days very little is on topic. Hit your back button and have a look at how many topics are actually about IL2 the game. Very little. I never understood why some people love to suggest that something be OT. Its silly.

Gammelpreusse
08-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
I know there is a lot of SH fans here so I thought I would pass this along to anyone who was unaware there was a SH5 coming.

This is the first trailer I have seen http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...-silent-hunter/54344 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc2k9-debut-silent-hunter/54344) Take dive early 2010!

The writing and voice acting in the trailer was horrible in my opinion. Not too mention English speaking Germans. But the game itself looks pretty good nonetheless.

S!

http://silent-hunter.de.ubi.com/silent-hunter-5/

that should solve your english language problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That aside, I dunno yet what to think about SH V. Played SH III and IV extensivly, SH3 especially was a great game. But it appears they "still" use the same engine here, from the screens released so far. Ah well, as long as they finally get some froth ontop of the waves I'll be happy I suppose. And the promised crew interaction looks pretty neat as well.

Skarphol
08-18-2009, 03:28 AM
I played Silent Hunter III quite a lot, and was very pleased with it. It didn't work with the new rig I bougt for SOW:BOB as I installed the Vista 64-bit version. So I bought SH IV, and that one is a huge disappointment. I only spent a few hours on it.
This one looks better, but I agree that it seems like its the same engine..

Skarphol

sakai2005
08-18-2009, 03:46 AM
you realy need human controled destroyers then you realy have a game worth playing imho.
sh2 was awesum in that respect.

BillSwagger
08-18-2009, 04:27 AM
human controlled anything is better.

I'm waiting for the day we see a detailed simulator for land, air and sea.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by sakai2005:
you realy need human controled destroyers then you realy have a game worth playing imho.

I agree. I really enjoyed that game!

S!

Freiwillige
08-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Just so you dont get your hopes up...

It wont have wolfpacks (hey they couldn't do it the other 4 times why now right?)

It will be way off of historical capability IE dive times, crush depth, torpedo behavior. (hey people like the GWX team fixed every other SH why not this one right?)

It will run like a POS on any system just like SH IV!

Ill stick with SHIII and GWX thanks.

SeaFireLIV
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I liked all the SH games, especially IV since i could actually play Allies. I hope SH V will have Allied subs too.

However, I`m a little woried about this one. This just looks like an intro, not the game itself.

I do hope the actual game will allow more realistic crew/sub interactions like actually walking through the sub passing men who are also travelling through and commenting/saluting as well as the good sub realism.

I have felt that SH always missed the Human element of the game and social crew managment (not just where you station them). There should be individual characters with a little personality that you actually get to know after a while. so you get the bolshy, brave guy married with 3 kids and the timid bookworm who starts cracking up when the depth charges fall as well as variances. And the whole cohesion of your crew depends on how you handle the social well being of the crew as captain. You could even have options as captain to dish out some rum\schnapps as reward for effective fighting and boost morale.

Or am i asking for too much? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

p.s. The American accents in an obviously German sub was not smart imho.

sakai2005
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sakai2005:

I agree. I really enjoyed that game!

S! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
for game play it was the best game ive played or close to it.creeping along at silent running trying to evade dc,s and plot a renewed attack on the convoy at the same time.alot to think about.I had the speakers way up one time and came under a dc attack everybody in the house was diving for cover lol.

sakai2005
08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Just so you dont get your hopes up...

It wont have wolfpacks (hey they couldn't do it the other 4 times why now right?)

It will be way off of historical capability IE dive times, crush depth, torpedo behavior. (hey people like the GWX team fixed every other SH why not this one right?)

It will run like a POS on any system just like SH IV!

Ill stick with SHIII and GWX thanks.

I never get my hopes up when ubi is involved anymore.

ElAurens
08-18-2009, 04:31 PM
*YAWN*

More U-boats.

Boring.

Been done over and over again.

I'll stick with my fleetboat till something different comes along.

Choctaw111
08-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I hope this isn't one of those teaser trailers that look nothing like the final release.

Freiwillige
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Sorry to say this El Laurens but U-boats are just more interesting historically than Fleet boats. Now don't get me wrong Fleet boats do rock. I think its just the idea that in the Atlantic war the U-boats effect was more dramatized. The influence on the total outcome of the war was a tense and pressured one in 39-42.

As were in the Pacific the outcomes doubt was never much influenced by submarine warfare.

There were much more resources poured into the Atlantic cause it was a more desperate situation. Therefor I believe as far as sales are concerned U-boats do better and Ubi knows that.

ElAurens
08-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Sorry to say this El Laurens but U-boats are just more interesting historically than Fleet boats.

Well, that's your opinion.

in the Atlantic war the U-boats effect was more dramatized.

Ad nauseum.

As were in the Pacific the outcomes doubt was never much influenced by submarine warfare.

You could not be more wrong. The Kreigsmarine could only dream about the type of success against enemy shipping that the US Submarine force had against the Japanese merchant fleet.

Therefor I believe as far as sales are concerned U-boats do better and Ubi knows that.

The real reason, which has nothing to do with history, but more to do with the glorification of the U-Boat in the popular media.

Be sure.

Freiwillige
08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
The real reason, which has nothing to do with history, but more to do with the glorification of the U-Boat in the popular media.

Churchill stated once in his memoirs "The only thing that really scared me was the U-boat menace."

You could not be more wrong. The Kreigsmarine could only dream about the type of success against enemy shipping that the US Submarine force had against the Japanese merchant fleet.

I doubt that the US silent service sunk more tonnage then the U-boat fleet just by simple arithmetic. U.S. fought against 1 navy (Japan)
Germany fought against (England,Polish,American\south American, French, Russian, Belgian, Dutch, Swedish merchant fleets.

Japan alone just didn't have the tonnage to compete!

And as far as war ships U-boats accounted for several fleet carriers, several battle ships an endless amount of smaller armed vessels, Destroyers and such.

I think one could say that the Fleetboats could only dream of the kind of successes the U-boat fleet had. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

stalkervision
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Have to agree with F/W.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ElAurens
08-18-2009, 08:58 PM
The big difference is that the US Navy submarines essentially stopped all merchant traffic to and from Japan. The Germans didn't do the same to England.

In the end the German U-boat campaign was not effective, the US Submarine campaign was.

Color it any way you want, and you will, but the U-boat campaign was a failure as it did not stop the American/Canadian re-supply of Britain.

Freiwillige
08-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
The big difference is that the US Navy submarines essentially stopped all merchant traffic to and from Japan. The Germans didn't do the same to England.

In the end the German U-boat campaign was not effective, the US Submarine campaign was.

Color it any way you want, and you will, but the U-boat campaign was a failure as it did not stop the American/Canadian re-supply of Britain.

I am not even disputing that. But what I am saying is that in the atlantic there was allot more on the line and for a brief period the Unterseebootwaffe was succeeding and exceeding its tonnage predictions.

Take the U.S. sub fleet out of exsistance and the outcome in the pacific is still the same. Sure it may have taken 6 months longer but the outcome was never in doubt.

In Europe it was most certainly.

Skarphol
08-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I doubt that the US silent service sunk more tonnage then the U-boat fleet just by simple arithmetic. U.S. fought against 1 navy (Japan)
Germany fought against (England,Polish,American\south American, French, Russian, Belgian, Dutch, Swedish merchant fleets.

Ok, this is very off topic, but you should not forget the Norwegian Merchant navy in this respect: They lost 281 ships for a total of 1.221.249 tons.

In comparison the poles lost 5 ships to german subs, the french lost 42 ships, the belgians lost 32 ships, the dutch 119 ships and the sweedes 88 ships.

In other words Norway lost as many merchant ships to germans subs alone as Poland, France, Belgia, the Netherlands and Sweeden lost all together.

But this ha litle to do with Silent Hunter V, i know..

Skarphol

Gammelpreusse
08-19-2009, 01:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:

I am not even disputing that. But what I am saying is that in the atlantic there was allot more on the line and for a brief period the Unterseebootwaffe was succeeding and exceeding its tonnage predictions.

Take the U.S. sub fleet out of exsistance and the outcome in the pacific is still the same. Sure it may have taken 6 months longer but the outcome was never in doubt.

In Europe it was most certainly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not underestimate the american submarine campaign. Subs probably sunk more ships then all of the rest of the US Navy combined and were for a time the only means able to carry the war to japanese waters, especially before Midway. Operatating as far as the China seas the Fleet Boats made a huge contribution to the US war effort. Unlike the U-Boats, however, Fleetboats never got much public attention.

The Pacific has one major fault for gaming purposes, however. Unlike in the Atlantic, the campaign for the US indeed only gets easier. The Japanese never even remotely came close to developing the same tactics and technology as the Allies did, and completely opposite to the Allies their numbers also dwindled. In real life, I'd definately prefer to serve on a Fleet Boat if I had the choice.

But for gaming purposes, the U-Boats probably are not beatable when it comes to atmosphere, grittyness, suspense and satisfaction if you score despite the odds. The campaign also runs a good 3 years longer then the US one.

Manu-6S
08-19-2009, 01:53 AM
I think we can't compare a U-Boot simulator to a Fleet simulator.

In a U-Boot you are alone in a tightened coffin. and usually you take the part of the hunter.. but if your strategy is not so good you become the hunted.

The greatest thing in the Silent Hunter series is the immersion (!), above all playing at full difficulty.

I can't wait for this game. I missed the version 4 since I'm not interested in fighting against Japanese.

Gammelpreusse
08-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Manu-6S:

In a U-Boot you are alone in a tightened coffin. and usually you take the part of the hunter.. but if your strategy is not so good you become the hunted.

The greatest thing in the Silent Hunter series is the immersion (!), above all playing at full difficulty.

I can't wait for this game. I missed the version 4 since I'm not interested in fighting against Japanese.

Then you missed something. Operating in a fleet boat in the vastness of the Pacific with all its atolls and the japanese has a charme and atmosphere all of its own. Not saying you should prioritizse the Pacific all of a sudden, but it certainly expands your horizone =)

Manu-6S
08-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Gammelpreusse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manu-6S:

Then you missed something. Operating in a fleet boat in the vastness of the Pacific with all its atolls and the japanese has a charme and atmosphere all of its own. Not saying you should prioritizse the Pacific all of a sudden, but it certainly expands your horizone =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know.. but its the same thing on IL2.. I fly in PTO only if I must (squad duty).

BTW I've also read "Samurai" but still there's something about the japanese culture that doesn't interest me (not being racist here); I'm only saying that japanese culture is SOOO different from the general european culture. comparing a fight against the Japaneses then I feel British vs German I see something like a Brother vs Brother.

SeaFireLIV
08-19-2009, 03:14 AM

BTW I've also read "Samurai" but still there's something about the japanese culture that doesn't interest me (not being racist here); I'm only saying that japanese culture is SOOO different from the general european culture. comparing a fight against the Japaneses then I feel British vs German I see something like a Brother vs Brother.

Funny. There are so many different ways of how people see things. I find the Japanese theatre less interesting only because I never see them as quite the bad guys the Reich was in WW2. In fact, I have a great respec for the japanese culture. I have respect for the Germans too and their tenacity, but in WW2 I see them as fighting for a very bad end ultimately. I prefer fighting as Allied in Europe because then I can get at the real enemy (playing it in an immersive way WW2 way). Perhaps I see it more like the Polish pilots did in WW2.

Gammelpreusse
08-19-2009, 03:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gammelpreusse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manu-6S:

Then you missed something. Operating in a fleet boat in the vastness of the Pacific with all its atolls and the japanese has a charme and atmosphere all of its own. Not saying you should prioritizse the Pacific all of a sudden, but it certainly expands your horizone =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know.. but its the same thing on IL2.. I fly in PTO only if I must (squad duty).

BTW I've also read "Samurai" but still there's something about the japanese culture that doesn't interest me (not being racist here); I'm only saying that japanese culture is SOOO different from the general european culture. comparing a fight against the Japaneses then I feel British vs German I see something like a Brother vs Brother. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Felt the same for a long time concerning the Japanese. The funny part is, that Japan probably is the asian nation sharing most traits with europeans. These similiar traits mixed with completely alien ones make this country kinda fascinating. Ignored that for a while because I was really tired of that samurai/ninja/katana hype that went through the 90ies.

The british on the other hand are just the plain old guys from the grey steamship company, business as usual http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Freiwillige
08-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Funny. There are so many different ways of how people see things. I find the Japanese theatre less interesting only because I never see them as quite the bad guys the Reich was in WW2. In fact, I have a great respec for the japanese culture. I have respect for the Germans too and their tenacity, but in WW2 I see them as fighting for a very bad end ultimately. I prefer fighting as Allied in Europe because then I can get at the real enemy (playing it in an immersive way WW2 way). Perhaps I see it more like the Polish pilots did in WW2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An interesting statistic from WWII magazine.
Nov. 1992 Pg. 62
"Throughout the war 33,021 American military personnel were captured by the Japanese. Of this number 12,526 or more than 40% died while prisoners.

In comparison, of the 96,614 American military personnel held by the Germans during WWII only 1,121 died in captivity."

If given the choice I would rather fight the Japanese Pearl Harbor and all but I would prefer to be captured in Kraut territory!

GH_Klingstroem
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Funny. There are so many different ways of how people see things. I find the Japanese theatre less interesting only because I never see them as quite the bad guys the Reich was in WW2. In fact, I have a great respec for the japanese culture. I have respect for the Germans too and their tenacity, but in WW2 I see them as fighting for a very bad end ultimately. I prefer fighting as Allied in Europe because then I can get at the real enemy (playing it in an immersive way WW2 way). Perhaps I see it more like the Polish pilots did in WW2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nov. 1992 Pg. 62
"Throughout the war 33,021 American military personnel were captured by the Japanese. Of this number 12,526 or more than 40% died while prisoners.

In comparison, of the 96,614 American military personnel held by the Germans during WWII only 1,121 died in captivity."

If given the choice I would rather fight the Japanese Pearl Harbor and all but I would prefer to be captured in Kraut territory! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are really intresting numbers FW! Should be an eye opener to most!

SeaFireLIV
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM

Nov. 1992 Pg. 62

If given the choice I would rather fight the Japanese Pearl Harbor and all but I would prefer to be captured in Kraut territory!

Interesting...

Kurfurst__
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Gammelpreusse:
Then you missed something. Operating in a fleet boat in the vastness of the Pacific with all its atolls and the japanese has a charme and atmosphere all of its own. Not saying you should prioritizse the Pacific all of a sudden, but it certainly expands your horizone =)

I was looking forward to SH4 very much, because I really wanted to try the USN campaign in the Pacific... but it was a disappointment. Huge travels had to be made each time from PH, only to bump into the occasional single Japanese tanker.. sink it.. bump into another one.. sink it too. It quickly got boring and repetitive to me. The engine was nice, though still they did not improve the DM as much as I would have liked. Crossing fingers for SH5...

At least in the Atlantic theatre, the challange constantly changing. You get into action much faster, and the gameplay changes as it did historically. First its the odd freighters, then you start seeing poorly escorted convoys, well escorted convoys, and despite the experience and much more effective weapons you get, the difficulty gets higher and higher, until it is almost impossible to evade air patrols, and only through your accumulated skill you have any chance of survival, let alone a succesfull attack. It was a much more varying experience, and far more rewarding.

SH5 seems to me an actual improvement in the series. Whereas SH4 only added nicer graphics, new theater, and new boats, I do hope that the fully modelled U-boot, and hopefully, more detailed subsystems will add a lot more actual content, and atmposhere to the sim. And I do cross fingers for some DD vs U-boot multiplayer opportunity... or DD vs DD or larger (AI) surface ships.

Bo_Nidle
08-19-2009, 10:36 AM
A little disappointing to see what looks like a rehash of 2 & 3 with little improvements graphics wise.

I think a fictional cold war setting akin to Hunt for Red October or Red Storm Rising would probably find a bigger fan base waiting.

I recently saw 3 Los Angeles class hunter-killer subs in San Diego. Impressive looking boats. A sim commanding one of them would be very cool.

Gammelpreusse
08-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gammelpreusse:

I was looking forward to SH4 very much, because I really wanted to try the USN campaign in the Pacific... but it was a disappointment. Huge travels had to be made each time from PH, only to bump into the occasional single Japanese tanker.. sink it.. bump into another one.. sink it too. It quickly got boring and repetitive to me. The engine was nice, though still they did not improve the DM as much as I would have liked. Crossing fingers for SH5...

At least in the Atlantic theatre, the challange constantly changing. You get into action much faster, and the gameplay changes as it did historically. First its the odd freighters, then you start seeing poorly escorted convoys, well escorted convoys, and despite the experience and much more effective weapons you get, the difficulty gets higher and higher, until it is almost impossible to evade air patrols, and only through your accumulated skill you have any chance of survival, let alone a succesfull attack. It was a much more varying experience, and far more rewarding.

SH5 seems to me an actual improvement in the series. Whereas SH4 only added nicer graphics, new theater, and new boats, I do hope that the fully modelled U-boot, and hopefully, more detailed subsystems will add a lot more actual content, and atmposhere to the sim. And I do cross fingers for some DD vs U-boot multiplayer opportunity... or DD vs DD or larger (AI) surface ships. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh, SHIII wasn't a much better expirience initially. Especially in IX boats on your cruise to the US coast or the southern tip of Africa. Remember only 1024x time accelaration? Took ages! Only with the GWX mods got the game really interesting. I think everybody was a bit spoiled thus when SHIV came out. As SHIII only with the inclusion of mods became IV interesting, especially when operating a boat out of East Asia and Australia. It really had an "exotic" atmosphere to it, a bit like an Indiana Jones movie if this makes any sense =)

The only real let down even at later stages was the user interface. Can't get anymore inimmersive.

stalkervision
08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I always wanted a fully equpt U-boat that one could move from stem to stern in. Now I will have one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I just hope the game is as good as the old one is.

Saburo_0
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Do not underestimate the american submarine campaign. Subs probably sunk more ships then all of the rest of the US Navy combined and were for a time the only means able to carry the war to japanese waters, especially before Midway. Operatating as far as the China seas the Fleet Boats made a huge contribution to the US war effort. Unlike the U-Boats, however, Fleetboats never got much public attention.

The Pacific has one major fault for gaming purposes, however. Unlike in the Atlantic, the campaign for the US indeed only gets easier. The Japanese never even remotely came close to developing the same tactics and technology as the Allies did, and completely opposite to the Allies their numbers also dwindled. In real life, I'd definately prefer to serve on a Fleet Boat if I had the choice.

But for gaming purposes, the U-Boats probably are not beatable when it comes to atmosphere, grittyness, suspense and satisfaction if you score despite the odds. The campaign also runs a good 3 years longer then the US one.

This sums it up best I think. Some hypothetical improvement in Japanese tactics and technology would make it more interesting.

Personally I'd like to see a game with some British, Japanese and Italian subs.

joeap
08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

I agree the Third Reich was the worst of a bad lot and the most dangerous strategically speaking hence "Germany first". I find it odd more than a few people say that about Japan in WWII in spite of what happened in China with Unit 731, etc. I recall a story told by a Filipino friend whose father was a resistance fighter and whose mother was threatened by a Japanese soldier to tell him where he was, even going so far as to pour gasoline on a neighbour and set her on fire. She managed to survive but was sent with her children to a prison camp.

I personally can't see that as "good" even if I too have a great respect for Japanese culture and am hopeful that today they take a more active role in world affairs. Pretty sure most Chinese or Koreans don't feel any strong negative feelings about the Nazis.

joeap
08-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Kurfurst__:

SH5 seems to me an actual improvement in the series. Whereas SH4 only added nicer graphics, new theater, and new boats, I do hope that the fully modelled U-boot, and hopefully, more detailed subsystems will add a lot more actual content, and atmposhere to the sim. And I do cross fingers for some DD vs U-boot multiplayer opportunity... or DD vs DD or larger (AI) surface ships.

Well I agree the Atlantic is much more fun, but as others have pointed out even stock SH3 was not that great. There are some very good mods for SH4 that fix some of the more ridiculous and unrealistic aspects of the stock game, just as GWX did for SH3.

Gammelpreusse
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
A first preview up here

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/101/1016321p1.html

US, August 20, 2009 - Sometimes it seems like there aren't many of us left in PC gaming these days, but I'm one of the diehards who actually get excited over hardcore military simulations. Unfortunately, there also aren't many developers left who support the genre. Thankfully, Ubisoft's Bucharest studio is still in the game. Our recent demo of Silent Hunter V shows the studio taking some intelligent risks to add a sense of freedom and personality to the submarine sim without necessarily losing any authenticity or gravity.

The demo opened on the deck of a Type VII sub in the docks at Narvik, Norway. In 1940 Narvik, an important North Sea port, was captured by the Germans, so the British sent a force, including the powerful battleship HMS Warspite, to seize the coast and deny the port to the Germans. German destroyers sailed out in an ultimately futile defense. In the demo, the player has the chance to take a submarine into the battle, just off the coast, and change history by sinking the powerful British warship.

The first thing I noticed about the game was the improved graphics. The draw distance is much greater now, so players will be able to see farther towards the horizon. The world is livelier as well, and you can see Fairey Swordfish zipping around in the air above the battle, dodging anti-air fire from below. The German destroyers are already just off the coast, firing broadsides at the battleship and her escorts. You can see all of this because of the untethered camera, which you can use to zoom high over the battlefield to take in the whole strategic picture, or dive down onto the decks of enemy ships to see the icicles hanging from their railings.

Back on our own sub, you'll notice that you have full freedom of movement. Now you can run around the sub as if you were playing Call of Duty, jumping down off the conning tower and walking up to the bow, or even climbing down into the hatch. Once at the bottom of the ladder, you can actually walk through the entire interior of your sub, stopping to look in the periscope in the command room before moving on past the radio and hydrophone operators to check on things in the torpedo room. Or if you'd rather visit the engine or the galley, you can head to the other end of the ship. Having this freedom is really impressive, but it's more than just a gimmick thanks to the new command system.

The command system in previous Silent Hunter games has focused on delegating orders to all the individual stations on a very flat, uninteresting screen. In Silent Hunter V, you can actually give your orders directly to your officers and they relay them to the petty officers and the rest of the crew. So, if you want to get the torpedoes ready for firing, you talk to your exec and he'll pass it along to the torpedo team. If you want to overcharge the diesel engines, you head aft and tell the chief engineer. If you want to check sensor status, you'll need to talk to your watch officer. It's a neat idea that emphasizes the chain of command and promises to help you grow more attached to your crew. Naturally, the story elements will tend to emphasize this aspect. Of course, there are still the same hand-of-god style controls as well, for moments when you just care about the results rather than the immersive quality of the game.

Morale is an important part of the crew system now. Each order you give costs your officers and crew a small bit of morale, and you'll need to recharge their supply with successful strikes and cruises if you want them to perform at peak efficiency. Moreover, successfully completing your missions will grant you promotion points you can spend to improve your officer and crew abilities, giving them things like better torpedo accuracy or better engine efficiency.

By now the sub is nearing the battle and, if the burning superstructures are any indication, we can clearly see that the German destroyers are in trouble. All of the most common commands are right on the HUD, so we're able to make the sub dive without leaving the first person view. The new tactical map also appears in a small corner of the map, and even shows contacts and your own field of view so you can tell what's what in the periscope. You can also plot moves on the tactical map and see the enemies' visual and hydrophonic detection ranges. This helps players adjust their speed (which affects their sonic signature) and their periscope depth (which affects their visual profile).

Using the new detection indicators, it's possible to get your sub in prime firing position before the destroyers start coming for you. Even so, you eventually will be detected and, when that happens, it's best to head right towards your target and start launching the torpedoes. In Silent Hunter V, torpedo firing solutions are drawn right on the tactical map, with one line showing the likely path of your target and one line showing the path of your torpedo. Both lines have the numbers one, two and three on them, indicating where the target and the torpedo will be when launched at different times. All you have to do to line up a good shot is get the same number to intersect with itself on both paths. Then fire at that speed and, as long as the target doesn't move, you should be golden.

Using these new tools, the sub was able to score a couple of solid hits on the Warspite. Watching the spectacular explosions, we also noticed a new damage and flooding meter above the targeted ship. As the armor drops and the compartments flood, the Warspite sinks below the waves and history is changed forever.

As with other titles in the Silent Hunter series, players will be able to choose from a variety of realism options to make the game more or less difficult according to their own play style. Personally, I like the idea of having the extra interface options, but the torpedo firing lines and the flooding meters just seem a bit out of line with the real authentic experience I'd want from the game. We're not quite sure which of the various interface options are included in the general realism profiles, but it's a sure bet that you can set the game to be as light or as heavy on realism as you want.

We'll be sure to bring you more information on this one in the coming months.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/101/1016027/silent-hunter-v-20090819111129205.jpg

BillyTheKid_22
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Tully__
08-21-2009, 05:07 AM
...I never understood why some people love to suggest that something be OT. Its silly.
But it's the rules http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I often move stuff to OT, but I can't be here 24 hours a day.

I see this has now gone way beyond a simple "Hey, there's a new game you may be interested in" so I'm locking it because it IS off topic.

By the way, if anyone is interested in talking further about SH5 it has its own forum already:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1121062387