PDA

View Full Version : Attacked By cargoes!!!

trident42
02-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Phew, i tracked a small convoy of a C2 and C3 of the westcoast of africa and torpedod and sunk the C3 straight of but the C2 didn't go down so i surfaced and attacked with the deck gun. It didn't take long for me to see that the ship was shooting back, and they can cause some damage if your not careful.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/trident42/beingattacked.jpg

Thus id the first time i experienced this as its midway through 1941 and i haven't got any further than that yet.

I destroyed the deck gun on the C2 easily enough but not after a couple of hits, however the C2 did shoot some wild shots that didn't come anywhere close, even after hitting me!! Problem with the A.I?

FDNYFAN
02-07-2006, 04:58 AM
No,his aim gets messed up by the waves.

JU88
02-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Looks like you got mauled pretty bad there.

lecek
02-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Ships start having deck guns in 41. Smaller ships like coastals and small merchants are first (I think), C2's and C3's follow not that far behind.

Tankers don't get deck guns until 42.

You were unlucky there, unless you were very close. In my experience they don't shoot all that well in 41, unless you have a mod that affects that.

Foehammer-1
02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
So far in my new career, only one C2 cargo managed to score one hit on my boat from about 600 meters in calm seas. I then went to P depth and placed a torpedo in its engine room http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif But still, the moral of the story is that the calmer the water is, the further away you have to be to lessen the chance of getting hits scored on your boat. But the further away you are, the harder it is to hit that ship. You just gotta judge the distance based on your skill, as well as ammo availability. I.e. don't shoot at a ship from 2000m when you have 40HE 88mm rounds left.

wessenhammer
02-07-2006, 07:48 PM
they cant hit anything in 41 even at 600mtrs if you're moving thats becuase in them days they were merchant men with about 8 hrs of training on the deck guns and these guns were from ww1 issue, many of the guns were unable to depress the barrel sufficiently to attack close in targets and were not stable enough ie controls were for stable land and longer distances that the gearing of the controls didnt allow more quick adjustments of the barrel sight picture as needed on a rolling or pitching deck. Later in the war the gun crew were Navy personnel solely on the ship for and trained for the deck gun . In another year they will be pluggin holes in your boat pretty regularly, thats when you need to gunfight the merchants from 4k+ to be fairly safe.

GT182
02-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm in March of 41 and finding deckguns mounted on the stern of C2s and C3s. They will fire but aren't accurate. I chased a C3 and took it out using my deckgun while the C3 was firing back at me. Good practice for my helmsmen and gunners. LOL

vietvet1950
02-12-2006, 12:01 AM
A few other deck gun pointers.....
Try to make yourself as narrow a target as possible.

Vary your speed so the gunners have trouble correcting fall of shot (if the AI's good)

Stay out of the arc the deck gun can cover when possible

Try and shoot out their deck gun with yours or use your flak gun

Still the most fun you can have destroying a target, especially if the deck cargo goes.

paulhager
02-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Troop Ships have deck guns from the outset. They are, in fact, very heavily armed.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
02-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by paulhager:
Troop Ships have deck guns from the outset. They are, in fact, very heavily armed.

So are Liberty and Victory Cargos. When traveling in a pack they can rattle your nerves a bit.

trident42
02-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:

So are Liberty and Victory Cargos. When traveling in a pack they can rattle your nerves a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have yet to see a troop ship, victory or a liberty, and it's a good way into 1941.

stringz54
02-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Be patient, they will come your way. The first time it happened to me, reminded me what it could be like, shooting at a deer that can suddenly shoot back! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Death becomes us http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif