PDA

View Full Version : Vector to Target

kirenpillay
02-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi

I'm a newbie. I'm running the PF merged game. I am have a problem finding my squadron, normally after a dogfight.

I get the messages from the leader with a vector to him, but this doesn't help. Is this supposed to be working?

I tried asking the ground control to vector me to target, but it seems as if this doesn't work either?

XyZspineZyX
02-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Vector and heading are not the same

When your leader says "heading 340, altitude 800", he is not telling you to turn to 340 degrees to find the flight

He is telling the flight to turn to 340* to make a new leg on the assigned course. If you are not with the flight, this info will get you lost

The vector to target depends on what the target (if any) is. For instance, when trying to find a tank to bomb, the vector to target command will not give you a course to fly to find that tank

Zeus-cat
02-21-2007, 09:17 PM
You need to do what real pilots of the era did.

1) Draw your course out on a map (you will have to make your own crude map for this).

2) Identify each waypoint with a physical reference on the map (town, river, etc.) If over water you skip this step.

3) Note the distance/time between waypoints and the vector from one to the next.

4) Keep aware of which direction you are heading if you break off course to engage the enemy.

5) Don't tell me it can't be done, because I've done it. I rarely do it because it is too much work, but it can be done.

The other alternative is to keep the minimap function enabled which will allow you to see where you are on the map at all times. You will still have to estimate where your squad is if you have map icons off as only your plane will show up.

-HH-Quazi
02-21-2007, 11:03 PM
In an offline campaign I usually start at the bottom of the rank list. Therefore I am always the fourth ac in a flight of four. Or the last ac in any sized flight. I always follow my lead which is the #3 ac in a flight of four. Especially when we are engaged in a DF. AS long as I keep in behind him I never loose the flight leader, even after 5 or 10 minutes of dog fighting. Now if I get one on my six while flying wingman, if my lead isn't engaged I can call for help and he, most of the time, starts flying in a defensive mode as he should if his wingman has a bandit on his six. If he is engaged, I have to break off and take care of it myself. But even so, I always try to keep an eye out for his position and I am constantly asking for help. This way if he dispatches the bandit he was engaged with, he will make his way back to me eventually. And I can normally hold off any AI til then. A good amount of time I can get the advantage. But do try to keep your eyes out for your AI flight m8s as often as you can so you don't end up loosing them. If I see I am getting further away while engaged on the defensive, I try to work my way back towards the flight while engaged. Again, easily done with AI on your six.

dusta01
02-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
You need to do what real pilots of the era did.

2) Identify each waypoint with a physical reference on the map (town, river, etc.) If over water you skip this step.

haha gold :P