PDA

View Full Version : Odd Happenings in Aviation

PBNA-Boosher
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Thought this might be a fun thread, so I decided to start it. Whatever it is, in FB, in real life... you name it, you've experienced it, you've heard about it, put it down!

Sunday, February 27th, 2005:

KTTN (Trenton-Mercer Airport, Trenton, NJ)

I was flying my first solo XC to trenton to make 3 TOAL runs before I headed back to my home airport in my Piper Cherokee. After aquainting myself with Trenton's ATC man, I made a few successful runs, identifying myself as a Piper Cherokee 140 with my plane #. I had the misfortune to have grabbed a headset with a microphone which wouldn't stay in one spot. So between chatting with the tower, holding my mic in place, and staying in the landing pattern, I had my hands full. I made 2 perfect landings, I mean, they were DA BOMB! Screeching tires and no bump told me it was just about the best one I've ever done. I taxied around and pulled to the hold short line, got out my map and plotted my heading again, double checking everything, engine gauges, flight instruments, and the rest of the diddly-poo. Finally I was ready, and called Trenton's tower,

"Trenton tower, Cherokee ##### is ready for takeoff and will be making a departure to the North."

He immediately responded back with, "Cherokee #####, cleared for takeoff, runway 34."

"Cleared for takeoff, runway 34, Cherokee #####" I said, closing the transmission. I floored the throttle and lifted off the ground, I was 500 feet AGL when the tower said to me:

Tower: Cherokee #####, are all systems okay?

Me: Yes sir, all gauges read fine, Cherokee #####

Tower: Cherokee #####, your landing gear is still down, did you forget to bring it up?

Me: Trenton Tower, Piper Cherokee 140 is a fixed gear aircraft, landing gear is always down, Cherokee #####

Tower: Oh, roger that, Cherokee #####. (by this point I was well out of the traffic pattern) Squawk 1200, frequency change approved. Have a good day.

Me: Cherokee #####, squawk 1200, frequency change approved, Thank you very much, I bet this will make a good story for the dinner table tonight. Have a good day.

THE END

Funny, right? Tell some of yours!

PBNA-Boosher
03-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Thought this might be a fun thread, so I decided to start it. Whatever it is, in FB, in real life... you name it, you've experienced it, you've heard about it, put it down!

Sunday, February 27th, 2005:

KTTN (Trenton-Mercer Airport, Trenton, NJ)

I was flying my first solo XC to trenton to make 3 TOAL runs before I headed back to my home airport in my Piper Cherokee. After aquainting myself with Trenton's ATC man, I made a few successful runs, identifying myself as a Piper Cherokee 140 with my plane #. I had the misfortune to have grabbed a headset with a microphone which wouldn't stay in one spot. So between chatting with the tower, holding my mic in place, and staying in the landing pattern, I had my hands full. I made 2 perfect landings, I mean, they were DA BOMB! Screeching tires and no bump told me it was just about the best one I've ever done. I taxied around and pulled to the hold short line, got out my map and plotted my heading again, double checking everything, engine gauges, flight instruments, and the rest of the diddly-poo. Finally I was ready, and called Trenton's tower,

"Trenton tower, Cherokee ##### is ready for takeoff and will be making a departure to the North."

He immediately responded back with, "Cherokee #####, cleared for takeoff, runway 34."

"Cleared for takeoff, runway 34, Cherokee #####" I said, closing the transmission. I floored the throttle and lifted off the ground, I was 500 feet AGL when the tower said to me:

Tower: Cherokee #####, are all systems okay?

Me: Yes sir, all gauges read fine, Cherokee #####

Tower: Cherokee #####, your landing gear is still down, did you forget to bring it up?

Me: Trenton Tower, Piper Cherokee 140 is a fixed gear aircraft, landing gear is always down, Cherokee #####

Tower: Oh, roger that, Cherokee #####. (by this point I was well out of the traffic pattern) Squawk 1200, frequency change approved. Have a good day.

Me: Cherokee #####, squawk 1200, frequency change approved, Thank you very much, I bet this will make a good story for the dinner table tonight. Have a good day.

THE END

Funny, right? Tell some of yours!

FI_Willie
03-02-2005, 09:31 PM
The Mag/ign switch was on the PA-22 Colt is OFF all way to left. Ctr position is LEFT mag, right of ctr is RIGHT mag, all way to right BOTH. <rolls eyes> .

Breckenridge, TX.. August. Temp close to 100?. Wind? None to speak of. After a nice visit with the gents at EZELL Aviation admiring an F-6F they were rebuilding, it was time to head back to cowtown. RWY 13 pointed my direction, 2900' long and concrete.

Colt FULL of gas and my skinny old rear end on board. I headed out and did the rolling mag check and turned it onto the runway with a bit of steam up. Firewalled it and steered down the center line, the ground whizzing is by but plane doesn't even want to fly. Ground going by faster still a non flying plane.. runway end coming up fast. Glance at windsock that had been hanging straight down all afternoon.. Only NOW it says I've got a pretty good tailwind.. OH DEAR (insert multitudes of expletives), Can't stop now, not enough runway left. Gently pulled back on yoke and got her into ground effect, she's staggering, and bucking like a drunken pig, but slowly gaining speed. Landscape covered with mesquite trees (very thorny) whizzing by scant inches under tires.

A bit of a ravine ahead and the ground slopes away from me. I lower the nose and she starts to fly!! YIPPEE!! She's GAINING alt!!! I struggle up to about 3,000 AGL and look around as I lite up a smoke and wonder WTH happened and be thankful I'm NOT picking mesquite limbs out of my carcass.

My eyes focus on the mag switch.. I've done all this crazy shyte on ONE MAG!!!!

Turned mag switch to BOTH and it was like AFTERBURNER!! LMAO! Nonsurgically removed seat from anal sphincter and went to cowtown.

Lesson learned, Check the LEFT mag FIRST DUMB@SS!!

In my haste to get gone, I had not moved the switch back to BOTH after checking the second mag. Getting in a hurry can get ya killed.

Someday I'll tell ya about trying to set the record for the highest number of busted FAR's in less than 2 hours over Dallas in a Stearman at night. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

PBNA-Boosher
03-03-2005, 05:09 AM
bump