PDA

View Full Version : DOH!!!......Mouse use......

LEBillfish
04-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Only been flying this daily since the release of FB....and finally decided to play with mouse sensitivity in input controls (joystick).

No track IR here, and my hand is to small to reach the hat on the stick, also views I have laid out on the numeral pad which are extensive I rarely use as it requires I take my right hand off the stick to use it.....So have always used the mouse to look around, that still requiring me to change hands on the stick as my left was too uncoordinated to move the mouse smoothly.....

So, went out and bought a trackball mouse (a whopping $15 big deal for the nice logitech one) hoping I could use my left hand to control it.....Still no good as it moved too fast so not smooth enough for combat....

However.....Today I tried adjusting the "Mouse Sensitivity" discovering that 1.0 is normal...1.0+ means quicker, 1.0- means slower (more movement of the ball to reach same spot).

I ended up setting it at 0.25, and wow, what a nice change....Just a tip for those of you that use your mouse to see, and are as slow to catch on as I..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LEBillfish
04-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Only been flying this daily since the release of FB....and finally decided to play with mouse sensitivity in input controls (joystick).

No track IR here, and my hand is to small to reach the hat on the stick, also views I have laid out on the numeral pad which are extensive I rarely use as it requires I take my right hand off the stick to use it.....So have always used the mouse to look around, that still requiring me to change hands on the stick as my left was too uncoordinated to move the mouse smoothly.....

So, went out and bought a trackball mouse (a whopping $15 big deal for the nice logitech one) hoping I could use my left hand to control it.....Still no good as it moved too fast so not smooth enough for combat....

However.....Today I tried adjusting the "Mouse Sensitivity" discovering that 1.0 is normal...1.0+ means quicker, 1.0- means slower (more movement of the ball to reach same spot).

I ended up setting it at 0.25, and wow, what a nice change....Just a tip for those of you that use your mouse to see, and are as slow to catch on as I..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BuzzU
04-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I remember a thread where the guy mounted a trackball on his joystick so he could reach it with his thumb. He showed tracks, and you'd swear he had TrackIR. Try it.

civildog
04-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Both of Saitek's HOTAS combos have mouse emulators on the throttle quadrants that you can set up for mouse viewing if you hand is too small for the hat switch.

They are right under your thumb when you hold the throttle.

BaldieJr
04-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Those thumb-mice suck hard. May as well ask your friend to controll the view while you fly the plane http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

antifreeze
04-03-2005, 03:22 PM
I recommend buying another joystick if you are going to buy a mouse especially just for playing PF. I got two Saitek cyborgs (now superceded by the Evo, which is much the same thing) for 30$ each. Using the 'NewView' TrackIR emulator dll, you can set-up one joystick for viewing and looking around; not the hat-switch, I mean the actual stick. It's extremely intuative because usually you move it in the same direction as your other hand is moving as you fly the aircraft (because usually you want to look in the direction of travel), but tracking objects, looking behind and scanning the sky is easy too. It also means you have seven more buttons and another throttle to allocate.
For the extra 30$, I would say it is a good as TrackIR. I can post a track if anyone is especially interested.

BuzzU
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Those thumb-mice suck hard. May as well ask your friend to controll the view while you fly the plane http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that your excuse for flying like a drunk squirrel?

BaldieJr
04-03-2005, 03:33 PM
I need an excuse?