PDA

View Full Version : red or blue

Zarathael
01-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Anybody know if it's possible in the FMB to change the alliances of given nations? Interested in some what if's.

Zarathael
01-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Anybody know if it's possible in the FMB to change the alliances of given nations? Interested in some what if's.

Yimmy
01-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Yeah that would be interesting.

Would be nice to down the Vichy French in my Spitfire. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Engrs
01-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Just use an apropriate skin/s, with markings off. Plenty of Vichy French slave pyjama skins around. Listening in on the enemy freq will ruin the immersion though.

Zarathael
01-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Actually, my interest is in setting up what if scenarios based on other possibilities. My favorite is that the assassination attempt on hitler succeeded, Germany negotiated peace with the allies, but Stalin didn't want to stop...

Or that Carl Househoffer had his way and that Russia, Germany and Japan stood united.

It seems as though I'm Russia bashing with these ideas, but I'm not, if just seems, from a lot of my reading that these were very real possibilities, and they intrigue me. I have only recently, (the past few years) learned about the eastern front of the war, (most US histories tend to ignore it) and I am truly awestruck at the savagery and sacrifice on the eastern front. 1c and company can be happy at the knowledge that their product at least made ME more aware of what went on in Russia during the war, if no one else.

WTE_Dukayn
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
In a DF, just make the Home Base blue instead of red in the properties tab.

For coops, in properties you can select red or blue, and below that specify nation

Yimmy
01-18-2005, 07:00 PM
Concerning your scenario, do you really think germany would have stoped the war if Hitler were assasinated?

IMO, if Hitler were assasinated in 1941 before the invasion of Russia, Germany would have continued the war, only unbder strong leadership, and would likely have won it.

Zarathael
01-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of mid-war, late '44. At that time, most of the German military knew the war was lost, and many were contemplating sueing for peace. If Hitler had been removed from the picture, perhaps a coup would have occurred. At that point in the war, rational minds would have been looking at any alternatives to absolute defeat.

I also agree that if Hitler and Goering had been removed from the decision making process, the axis would most certainly have won. Wouldn't have had to worry about that whole Eastern front thing.

Then again, there might never have been a war in the first place, just an entirely different cold war. Hitler had originally intended to go to war in 1945/46. That's what his Generals had originally planned for. Without him, they may have continued building their forces, and preparing for this coming war for another 5 years. The other nations would have continued building their arsenals as well, preparing for the coming war with Germany. At the end of which, everybody in the world is armed to the teeth, and Germany realizes that everybody else has simply out built them, and that the war would be too risky to contemplate. At which point we all spend 35/40 years looking at each other over our walls, waiting for somebody to blink.

Cragger
01-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Even without the blunders of Hitler and Goering there was little chance for Germany to 'win' a the entire war thru capitulation. Germanay simply did not have the populace or industrial capacity to control anything beyond Europe. It would have eventually ended with internal corruption and decay falling into Ruin like so many empires before it.

Without them but still in conflict with Russia Germany may, just may have been able to reach an armistice with Britian, Russia and The United States (Of course without Hitler the US probably would not be at war directly with Germany).

If war had not been prompted with Russia Germany's chances of reaching an armistice are even better. But Stalin was no fool, he knew that Russia would eventually come into conflict with Germany. Two expanding powers so near each other and both fearing each others growing military might, conflict is inevitable.

There are alot of 'what if' theories out there. But what many people fail to realize is that there is no single event, or person, or decision that lead to the Second Great War and its outcome. Many, many things worked together, changing or removing one of them wouldn't impact the entirity of what happen but most likely just the time and places and minor outcomes.

Blackdog5555
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
I agree with Cragger that there are way too may variable in WWII to say, with certainty, this or that would happen in my/others revisionist world.

One thing for certain was Yamamoto was apparently the only person in Japan in 1941 who understood the American mindset, and here is a historical clipping....

"In his office aboard the battleship Nagato, Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto writes a letter to his friend, who has expressed jingoistic rhetoric. "If we attack America," Yamamoto chides his friend sarcastically, "It will not be necessary for us to seize
California. In order for us to make peace, we would have to march
into the White House. I wonder if those who would blindly lead us
to war have thought about that!" Japanese propagandists turn this
warning of American determination and toughness into a boast that
Yamamoto is looking forward to dictating peace to the Americans
in the White House."

Fat Chance.........................
The more you learn about the etiology of WWII, the more realize how much you dont know. thats for certain. Cheers.