PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else find the Ki-46 easy to down?

VW-IceFire
11-29-2004, 10:47 AM
I've been flying a bit against the Ki-46. I'm not sure if this is historical or not but its the easiest plane to shoot down in the game.

Approaching from high-six angle with a P-51D, bullets on convergence or even off convergence and I similtaenously pierce at least 2 or 3 fuel tanks in a major way and another half second and at least one is on fire and the plane is going down.

Is that historical for this plane? Seems much weaker even than the flying matchstick Betty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

VW-IceFire
11-29-2004, 10:47 AM
I've been flying a bit against the Ki-46. I'm not sure if this is historical or not but its the easiest plane to shoot down in the game.

Approaching from high-six angle with a P-51D, bullets on convergence or even off convergence and I similtaenously pierce at least 2 or 3 fuel tanks in a major way and another half second and at least one is on fire and the plane is going down.

Is that historical for this plane? Seems much weaker even than the flying matchstick Betty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

k5054
11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
It's a recce plane, it carried a whole lot of fuel in unprotected tanks, and yes, it was easy to shoot down, IF you could catch it. It wasn't catchable by the first allied planes (although one was claimed by a RAF Buffalo) because of its fine performance at high alt. The introduction of P-38s, Spit Vs and so on meant it could be caught.
The later armed interceptor version was still not well protected and wasn't very effective against the B-29, apparently.

JorBR
11-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Ki-46 lacked armor and self-sealing tanks so it must be as bullet sensitive as the Betty IMO.

Jason Bourne
11-29-2004, 11:35 AM
yah, all japanese planes are flying Bics. though how do you turn off convergence, cuase im thinking of doing that in my USMC campaign, cause it would probaly be alot easier to rip of wings with out convergence.

VW-IceFire
11-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok...I was just wondering why they lit up so quickly. Far enough, not to worry then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bourne, you can't turn off convergence but you could set your convergence to something like 1000 meters or further out. That way the bullets are aimed at converging at that point. It'd be next to useless at those ranges but it would make the guns converge less.

I don't think it would work for me...but you can try it!

SeaFireLIV
11-29-2004, 01:08 PM
You`ve got completely the wrong understanding of convergence if you think you can just turn it off. You can`t as Icefire said.

There will always be a convergence, no matter what. I don`t think setting it far like 1000m will help much and setting it to 0.50 definitely won`t if you don`t know what you`re doing.

Your best bet is to stay as you are or experiment around 200-400 imho.

Jason Bourne
11-29-2004, 02:01 PM
i know what convergence is, currently i have mine set to 300-350 for guns on the wings, 1000 for things in the nose. i was just wondering whether or not he had infact managed to turn it off, cause i would find it useful for such things as 109F-Ks and Ta-152s, and D-9s, since all those planes have the weapons close together.