PDA

View Full Version : **** this weather(a short AAR)

wigg11
03-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Welp, I'm on my second mission in my little IIa. I get sent to some awful place that had nothing pass by me for my assigned 24 hours...so it's off to the Firth of Fourth with me...

I arrive, and it's pea soup. FOG so thick I can barely see the front of the boat. But stupidity gets the best of me and I decide to tough it out to see if I can surprise one of these destroyers I'm hearing...

After several near misses(I'm SURE they must be passing right by me) I think I've found one I can track too. By working my rudder and listening carefully I determine he's headed right for me from the east. I go ahead 1/3 and stay on the surface, since I haven't seen anyone with the **** periscope all day.

Well I keep checking, listening...on the binos...nothing. Then...what is that? A ship?

DESTROYER just off the port bow! He's 500 meters off and closing FAST. Fortunately they're even more surprised than I am. I sit stunned, trying to remember what the crash dive key is as the first rounds twang off my boat. Finally I settle on periscope depth(all I can remember to do) and the destroyer zips right past me...

I go silent as the DD hunts me for a very short time...I'm sure he's just as happy to leave as I am.

First. Never hunt DD's in fog.
Second. DEFINATELY never do it surfaced.

I can tell you, I've never had a scare like that in a game before.

Wow.

wigg11
03-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Welp, I'm on my second mission in my little IIa. I get sent to some awful place that had nothing pass by me for my assigned 24 hours...so it's off to the Firth of Fourth with me...

I arrive, and it's pea soup. FOG so thick I can barely see the front of the boat. But stupidity gets the best of me and I decide to tough it out to see if I can surprise one of these destroyers I'm hearing...

After several near misses(I'm SURE they must be passing right by me) I think I've found one I can track too. By working my rudder and listening carefully I determine he's headed right for me from the east. I go ahead 1/3 and stay on the surface, since I haven't seen anyone with the **** periscope all day.

Well I keep checking, listening...on the binos...nothing. Then...what is that? A ship?

DESTROYER just off the port bow! He's 500 meters off and closing FAST. Fortunately they're even more surprised than I am. I sit stunned, trying to remember what the crash dive key is as the first rounds twang off my boat. Finally I settle on periscope depth(all I can remember to do) and the destroyer zips right past me...

I go silent as the DD hunts me for a very short time...I'm sure he's just as happy to leave as I am.

First. Never hunt DD's in fog.
Second. DEFINATELY never do it surfaced.

I can tell you, I've never had a scare like that in a game before.

Wow.

Athlonics
03-20-2005, 04:58 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Excellent !

And thanks for the advices http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

quillan
03-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Tell me about it. I had about a week of that **** on my last patrol. Visibility was about 300-400 meters tops. I couldn't find anything on the surface. I managed to catch up and locate a merchant I was tracking, had to run up right alongside of him, and make a hard turn away to bring the stern tube to bear, and wound up losing sight of him before I could get past minimum arming range for the torp.