PDA

View Full Version : The secret u-boat base on your hard disc

Slush69
06-27-2005, 03:37 AM
Hi

I had to reinstall SH3 for the 1.4b patch and Real Uboat Mod 1.4. So I used the remove installation option in the menu and manually deleted the folder afterwards.

Then I reinstalled SH3 in a new folder with a new name (for some reason I couldn't use 'Silent Hunter III' although it had been deleted). After installing the patch and the mod I fired up the game.

To my very big surprise, my old preferences for sound and audio hadn't changed and my saved career was still there.

Can anyone explain this to me?

thnx/slush

Cpt_Walrus
06-27-2005, 03:45 AM
Your career folder and files in it are saved under your "My documents" folder that in turn are located under "documents and settings" and not under the default SHIII folder..thus if you uninstall the Silent Hunter III game it does not remove the folders with your career and settings, that folder still stay in your "My documents"..so if you re-install the game you will still see your career/s because your folder with your career/s and settings was never removed.

Slush69
06-27-2005, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Cpt_Walrus:
Your career folder and files in it are saved under your "My documents" folder that in turn are located under "documents and settings" and not under the default SHIII folder..thus if you uninstall the Silent Hunter III game it does not remove the folders with your career and settings, that folder still stay in your "My documents"..so if you re-install the game you will still see your career/s because your folder with your career/s and settings was never removed.

That, mate, is a very good explanation. One I probably should have thought of myself, had I been able to think this morning. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks a lot!

cheers/slush

Cpt_Walrus
06-27-2005, 04:55 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

themoffster
06-27-2005, 05:43 AM
Also some preferences like player profiles of some games are stored in the registry. I'm not saying that SH3 is one of them, but some games do - Football manager/Championship manager for one.