PDA

View Full Version : Best screen capture program?

RFait
07-07-2007, 07:13 AM
I would like to make movies with IL2. The program I was given is Game Cam 1.4. It is not bad but does cause the image to be less good. Fraps I have tried also and it makes the rate of frames too low. What are others using? Problems with them?

RFait
07-07-2007, 07:13 AM
I would like to make movies with IL2. The program I was given is Game Cam 1.4. It is not bad but does cause the image to be less good. Fraps I have tried also and it makes the rate of frames too low. What are others using? Problems with them?

BrotherVoodoo
07-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I know allot of folks use a program called FRAPS. Try doing a web search, I believe it is a free one.

Crash_Moses
07-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Yup, FRAPs is pretty dang good. But you have to purchase if you want to record more than a minute I believe.

http://www.fraps.com/

RFait
07-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Fraps to try is free, but only record 30 seconds each time. Also has a Fraps name showing. It makes rate of frame very low, too.

Also is free programs by ZD Soft, but recording is terrival.

hamselv2
07-07-2007, 11:19 PM
The easiest way to grab video from the game is probably to use TV-out from the PC's graphics card - and record on your DVD/harddisk recorder.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
You can try SnagIt (http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp?CMP=KgoogleStmhome) also. I believe it's a 30-day free trial with no limitations.

RFait
07-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for replies. I try FRAPS and Snagit, both make the rate of frames so slow are not usable as movie.

So for, Game Cam is the best and I lern some settings to make better video.

DebbieMondshour
07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Fraps is best to use, tho you must have a fast PC , good video card, and plenty of ram. Snag-it is just as good. i use both, with no noticable framerate loss.

my specs; intel celeron D 3.2 processer ati radeon pcix 1600 512 mb vid card. 2 gig of ram. Works great for both fraps and snag-it.

Also I use a program called , Enditall2 , which will close all open applications and processes that run in the background, that can make your system slower when playing online games. If anyone downloads it, use only the close feature, it will only close whats safe to close. DO NOT USE KILL FEATURE, can close important processes and mess up your computer.

RFait
07-12-2007, 04:02 PM
My computer has two 3.0 GHz P-4 processors and 2 GB of ram. I use the program called FSAutostart that too closes all extra processes. Even with this, FRAPs and Snagit caused the frame rate to slow to 2 or 3 frames per second. I now have found the best record way for Game Cam and have no more problem it.

Backdraft57
07-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Try Growler Gun Cam.
http://www.growlersoftware.com/

Works good for me with no frame loss.

RFait
07-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Backdraft57, thanks for tip. You are correct. I have the gun Cam softwares and am pleased.

DanielSmith1840
07-22-2007, 01:45 AM
i have used kind of screen capture software called ACA Capture Pro (http://www.acasystems.com/index.php), i think it can handle it .

here is an article about it:
Capture Video Screen (http://www.acasystems.com/en/screencapturepro/tour_a10.htm)

Mysticpuma2003
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok, FRAPS is the best program for capturing video, bar none.

Setting up your system though is what you need to do so it works smoothly.

I made "Secret Weapon over Stalingrad" using FRAPS on a Athlon 1.4, 1GB Ram and an Nvidia 4400 Graphics card!

"Not my time to die!" was made on a Pentium 3.2C, 1Gb Ram and Nvidia 6800GT.

So try this.

Set the game resolution at 800x600x32bit.

In conf.ini under OpenGL settings,
Set Forest-0
Water-2

In your game set Stencil buffer On, and Landscape Perfect with everything else on Max Quality (your system should ber able to cope).

Go and play a mission and save the .ntrk or .trk.

Now for FRAPS.

If you have it installed, un-install it and clean your registry.

Now re-install Fraps, but make sure it is on a different Hard Drive (or Partition) than you IL2 install.

Launch FRAPS and set up a hot key to record with, it should capture video to the partition you installed FRAPS to.

Now make sure that you un-tick Capture/Record sound....you don't need it.

Set the frame rate to 25fps for Pal.

Basically Fraps will be capturing exactly that, 30 pictures-per-second.

Ok, now launch the game.

Now here is how to get smooth capture.

Play the track that you want to make into the movie.

When you reach the part you want, drop the speed of playback to 1/4 speed.

Hit record on Fraps.

Now work your way through the track, changing camera angles (but never,ever,ever pan around the plane using the mouse...it looks awful!).

Stop recording after you have finished.

You should see, while recording the frame rate in the top left (or wherever you set it up). Now as long as it doesn't drop below 7 (you may get away with 6) fps, you'll be ok.

So, now you have a video clip(s).

Open your video editing program and import the footage.

Now, remember we recorded at 1/4 speed, this means that you will have to speed the video up on the timeline by 4x or 400%

So speed it up by the above amount.

Now edit the clip, cutting out any bits where you moved the mouse or zoomed or made mistakes.

Now render the sequence out.

You should now see a clip, playing back perfectly, without stutters or jumps.

If it still jerks a little (it really shouldn't), try capturing at resolution of 640x480, but try and keep it at 32 bit.

Hope that helps get you started in Movie Making. We all start somewhere, and I look forward to seeing your results.

BTW, when rendering, export the file to the XVID Codec as this is like JPEG for photos. It reduces the file size, but keeps the quality. Also render the sound out at 128k bit-rate or 64 which again reduces the file size, but keeps .mp3 quality.

Again hope that gets your started, cheers, MP.

Now launch the game

RFait
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Thank you for the information, but I have not had any good time with Craps (not Fraps, LOL) I now am using Growler Gun Cam as was said to me above. It does a perfect record with no extra settings at all. It does not reduce the rate of frames that can be seen. I can leave the Gun Cam open at all times and, with one key start or stop the record. This is very much better than Fraps, Game Cam, ACA Capture, or other program I have see.

Thank all for help here. I think this problem is solve.

Flintlocke89
07-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I just set my fraps to record at 50 FPS to avoid motion blur and get some pretty good slow mo parts, if you have the full version there's no watermark at the top and you can record as long as you want.

For me the main limitation is HDD space, as Fraps is uncompressed video it takes up an insane amount of space initially but with TmpgENC it's very quick and easy to reduce it A LOT!

This might not me ideal for most people because my rig can usually render IL2 up to about 80 FPS and I have a SATA II 16mb cache HDD wich is incredibly fast reading and writing data but hey, just posting what works for me.

felbeast
07-24-2007, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysticpuma2003:
Ok, FRAPS is the best program for capturing video, bar none. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No it's not. Guncam gives better FPS than fraps when recording at the same resolution as fraps, and its quality is the same. Also, you don't have to mess with the games resolution to change the video size.

Freelancer-1
07-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post that description, Mystic.

Definitely a keeper.

Makes it worthwhile dredging through all the cr@pola in here when I find a little jewel like this.

Cheers,

justiceboy
07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
set fraps at 15 fps

play back at 1/2 speed then you can compress it to 2x with some good software, makes for crisp smooth playback

VF-17_BOOM
07-29-2007, 07:29 AM
I'm impressed with Growler fps!!nice find,I just have to figure out the film editor part.

RFait
07-29-2007, 08:38 AM
I am the same about Growler Gun Cam. The video editor part is very basic, so is not used by me. I have the Vegas video editor and is much the better.

I like the screenshot capture of Growler. I leave Growler up always so screen pictures can be capture when they is needed.